Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Design Geek

Vampires in New Orleans Square

So here's an idea I had last time I was tooling around Disneyland, this past April. I was trying to imagine what fun, adventure-style, deep-mythology genre Disneyland had not delved into yet -- something in the vein of pirates or ghost stories, something rich and storied with lots of historical legends and lore. And it occurred to me that there was a perfect opening for an Omnimover type ride somewhere in New Orleans Square that celebrated the idea of vampires.

It would fit absolutely seamlessly into New Orleans, since New Orleans is so associated with vampires, and its reputation for being a haven for the supernatural. Perhaps the ride could be nestled into a back alley in New Orleans where you get to enter the secret world of the Vampire elite -- something similar maybe to a flip-side Club 33 -- very glamorous, very plush -- you could ride past initiation rites into vampire society, vampires going on feeding runs, maybe outside past street scenes, where you see that what you think are ordinary people are actually vampires (maybe by having their eyes glow red as you glide past).

I just think there's so much material there, it would add another blockbuster ride, and it would make a really cool New Orleans trilogy with Haunted Mansion and Pirates. And besides, it is BEYOND time for Disneyland to get another epic ride like this that doesn't feature a movie screen or franchised characters.

I think the ride should just simply be called "Vampires." Anybody have any other ideas? Suggestions? This would be a ride I would love...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Vampires in New Orleans Square

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanpatrik View Post
    So here's an idea I had last time I was tooling around Disneyland, this past April. I was trying to imagine what fun, adventure-style, deep-mythology genre Disneyland had not delved into yet -- something in the vein of pirates or ghost stories, something rich and storied with lots of historical legends and lore. And it occurred to me that there was a perfect opening for an Omnimover type ride somewhere in New Orleans Square that celebrated the idea of vampires.

It would fit absolutely seamlessly into New Orleans, since New Orleans is so associated with vampires, and its reputation for being a haven for the supernatural. Perhaps the ride could be nestled into a back alley in New Orleans where you get to enter the secret world of the Vampire elite -- something similar maybe to a flip-side Club 33 -- very glamorous, very plush -- you could ride past initiation rites into vampire society, vampires going on feeding runs, maybe outside past street scenes, where you see that what you think are ordinary people are actually vampires (maybe by having their eyes glow red as you glide past).

I just think there's so much material there, it would add another blockbuster ride, and it would make a really cool New Orleans trilogy with Haunted Mansion and Pirates. And besides, it is BEYOND time for Disneyland to get another epic ride like this that doesn't feature a movie screen or franchised characters.

I think the ride should just simply be called "Vampires." Anybody have any other ideas? Suggestions? This would be a ride I would love...
    Personally, I like it a lot, and it is a good idea...but I think also Disney likely wouldn't go anywhere near it, given they would likely be accused of being far too morbid for having feeding rites and even the implied blood and death that goes with vampires...I'd like to see it, myself, could be pretty cool and awesome effects, but Disney I feel would stay far, far away from the concept.

I definitely like the mythology of Vampires myself, and am a big fan of the Vampire Chronicles by Ann Rice, but I dont think the subject would be totally appropriate for Disneyland. Also, I think Ms Rice's books are largely the reason Vampires are associated with N.O. It would look like a commercial tie - in with those books.
    A neat idea tho. More appropriate for Knott's Scary Farm, so Im def not knocking your idea...

• Design Geek

I think my thought about that would be that it could be treated in the same "fun scary" way that Pirates and Haunted Mansion are -- with gags and sight jokes and details. Vampires are scary, but so are pirates and ghosts...there's a fun side to being a vampire, a glamorous side, and there can be emphasis on that. I realize that Disney has gotten milder over the years when it comes to being a little scary, but if there's anywhere in the park where that's appropriate, it's sandwiched between the above-mentioned two rides...

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Are vampires really that closely associated with NO? I believe Anne Rice has created one, but is there a relationship outside of this instance?

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanpatrik View Post

People already had a problem with Pirates chasing ladies on Pirates of the Caribbean. I kind of like the idea since I'm a horror freak and I know Vampirish and supernatural (Haunted Mansion) goes on in New Orlean Square, but it would be WAY too scary for kids and there wouldn't be any place for it to go.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Are vampires really that closely associated with NO? I believe Anne Rice has created one, but is there a relationship outside of this instance?
    That is more an Anne Rice thing, yes, except for the general voodoo culture which has a lot to do with early New Orleans, but that's more zombies than vampires really. Coming soon to Disneyland.....Zombies! See flesh eating ghouls chase their helpless victims! Hear the screams of terror!

LOL. Yeah, not likely to happen. I'd like it, but no way it will happen.

• King of Los Angeles

I have a feeling that area behind the train depot will ultimately be the princess and the frog...

• Higitus Figitus

Red Face Re: Vampires in New Orleans Square

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    That is more an Anne Rice thing, yes, except for the general voodoo culture which has a lot to do with early New Orleans, but that's more zombies than vampires really. Coming soon to Disneyland.....Zombies! See flesh eating ghouls chase their helpless victims! Hear the screams of terror!

LOL. Yeah, not likely to happen. I'd like it, but no way it will happen.
    i'd like to say "Hey, you never know! There's a Scooby Doo on Zombie Island movie- it wouldn't be impossible to make a ride; zombies or vampires, be very comical."
    but, as kritter already mentioned, people have a problem with the pirates chasing women in the town. it'd be pretty difficult to skip around parts like that in a vampire story.
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”

• Design Geek

You guys are all probably right, but a boy can still dream, can't he?

• Higitus Figitus

forgot to add that i LOVE the idea though
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”

Im gonna say it again. I like the mythos of Vampirism, but its tough to find the comic, fun side to supernaturally sucking your victims blood. You cant compare Pirates and Ghosts and Vampires, Vampires are by definition darker creatures, which is why Ann Rice's books were so great, she was able to take apart their mythology and humanize them.

A Vampire attraction has no place in Disneyland. There, I said it.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Ann Rice popularized it, but it has been a long standing "tradition" of sorts. NO has always been associated with the supernatural. The vampire legends are mainly associated with Europe. It is believed that the French, German, and Spanish settlers brought those stories with them. Those legends then mixed with the African legends, as well as Indian lore... so the answer is yes, it's been there, but it wasn't really popular until Ann Rice wrote about it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Oo-de-lally

I LOVE THIS IDEA. I think a lot of people will disagree with it but the way you just described it totally sold me. Plus once night falls you can have certain CM's dressed up as Vampires walking around NOS interacting with guests. Not really trying to scare them but to mess with them. They could just be creepy looking with bright yellow contacts. They could follow you till you left the area. Plus in certain parts of NOS like where the stair well is by the fountain on the wall they could play a track at night of weird noises and whispers. It would be creepy. Another bonus is when Halloween rolls around you could use the Vampire CM’s a lot. I love this idea.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Design Geek

Okay, so there are some totally reasonable objections to this idea. But say there was room for a third ride in the Pirates/Mansion mode...anybody have any ideas as to what would complete the "trilogy?"

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast