Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disappointing news for Half Marathon runners

A participant on a Disney running board got the following message from the run administrators in response to their email question -

Thanks for your email. The Disneyland Half Marathon course will not be
    going inside the stadium this year. The Angels have a day game on
    Sunday, August 31. The timing of our race and the game does not allow
    us to run the bases again. We have been lucky enough in past years to
    have the Angels playing a night game or an away game. The portion of the
    course on Angels Stadium property will take you through the "Big A" and
    near the "Hats and Bats".

See you at the start line!

Whereas, the official web site still states, as it has the past 2 years, that the run will go through the stadium. I feel a need to rant a bit. To me, this is just another in the seemingly uncaring way the run is being managed. The first year, it was scheduled a little later in September, when it was (and usually is) a lot cooler than Labor Day weekend. The second year, they moved it up - why? I can only guess - to increase hotel occupancy and dollars generated. People collapsed on the route, and they even threatened to make it a non timed event, after thousands of runners trained and worked to acheive their best results. But, hey, does the health of runners matter when you get a waiver? It's our choice to do it, correct, but it would be interesting to see the results of the runner survey and how many (like myself) expressed a desire to see the event moved to October. We will never see that. Also, after the Year 1 race, they did not announce the Year 2 date as they needed to know the Angel stadium schedule first; I do not know if that was the case with year 3, but they sure announced the date a lot earlier than they did for Year 2, and again Year 3 is a sellout, so their business strategy of continuing on Labor Day weekend didnt hurt registration. And, of course, they limit local runners to encourage more hotel rooms get booked! So, here we are with the program online at last - no advance mailing this year, how exciting for us and cost saving for Disney! And guess what - the date for Year 4 is Labor Day again! And there is no way that the Angel schedule is known for 2009 at this point - so, clearly, the philosophy is not to wait to ensure we can run through the stadium (as still described on the official site), but just get those 3 day weekend bookings, and if we can, great, if not, who cares, right? Well, I care. I care about the fact that management takes me, my money, and my efforts for granted because they know there is a line behind me and they will sell out no matter what, so this runner is through with the DL HM. This third run will be my last. I have been a supporter and detractor of the Mouse in many areas on many occasions, but I have also been a run coordinator for a major half marathon that is now more than 20 years old, and the way participants are treated for this, the scheduling, the (potentially deliberate?) obfuscation of the route change, and other cost cutting measures that have been trickling in since year one, it just isnt fun anymore, and not worth the money to me. Clearly it is and will continue to be to many others - while I will enjoy the experience of exploring new routes and new cooler weekends at less cost. See you as we run "through" the stadium without actually going inside!

Re: Disappointing news for Half Marathon runners

Disney doesn't make Major League Baseball schedules.

•   
    • Kerplookee

I agree with the OP's frustration. The Stadium run is one of two major highlights advertised in this run.....Through the parks and stadium. This leaves over 12 miles of beautiful Anaheim street running.
    We know Disney doesn't dictate baseball schedules but they are misleading the runners. A lot of training, money and travel time goes into the Disney Half.
    What concerns me is Disney's lack of information on this issue. The website still states "through" yet the program has the newly updated map....but due to "going gree"(which I support) the programs are not mailed out before the race. I also get monthly Disney Half e-mails with updates and not once has this major change been mentioned. Doesn't seem right.
    I am still excited for the run but feel bad for the people who find out the bad news that morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

Gosh, Mr. Fantasmic, I looked back but still cant find the part where I said Disney made the major league schedule, or anything implying they did ... I guess it is old age on my part!

What I meant to say, just so you know, is that they clearly do not care what the schedule is, advertised and promoted the event as including running through the stadium, continue to list the event as such, and have done nothing to announce that the feature which is a major part of the appeal for participants is eliminated. Also, that they have scheduled next year without any regard for that possibility.

What I would like to see Disney do is simply stop including any mention of the stadium in the event as they clearly are comfortable planning it without being able to include it. And, to announce now, to all participants who have already paid $100, that it is not a part of the race. Is that asking so much? I think not. Will they do it? I think not. But, if they prove me wrong, I will be happy to be wrong!

Sorry, I just don't see the big problem.

•   
    • Kerplookee

this reminds me of the opening scene in "Vacation."

Chevy Chase: "I distinctly ordered the Antarctic Blue, super sportswagon with the C.B. and the optional Rally fun pack."

Eugene Levy: "you didn't order the Metallic Pea?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Some people like to run through the stadium as they have in the past. I don't run marathons, you don't care. Maybe some other runners would like to know this year that isn't on the path.

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    How about this. On your next Disneyland visit, you pay to enter the park, but after you've paid for your ticket and made travel arrangements to get there they tell you that you aren't allowed to go to New Orleans Square. No POTC, no HM. Kind of lame, huh?

That's too bad Jiminy. Maybe when people show up and find out there is no stadium run, enough will complain and that will make the suits realize the error of their ways and correct it for next year.

By the 10th mile (AKA Angel Stadium), you won't care what you run though. At least I didn't. I was so darn tired that I just wanted to finish as soon as I could!!!

Jiminy, I understand what you're saying and I wholeheartedly agree. They advertised one thing, and now less than 1 month prior, we find out something else. And not because they communicated the change, but because participants went on the website and then downloaded the program & noticed the change.

And I know some may not "get it", but it matters. When it was 100 degrees last year, and you got to Mile 10, saw yourself on the Jumbotron, cheerleaders, etc...it was this huge pick-me-up that lifted your spirits and made you forget for a few minutes that you felt you were going to die. I know some people who convinced their baseball-loving friends & family to do the race BECAUSE it was going through the stadium.

I ran the half last year and loved having something to look forward to at different points throughout the race. Running THROUGH the stadium was one of those highlights. I am not going to be there this year but hope that changes are made for next year. BTW - Is the race on Sunday or Monday next year?
    Deedlebug

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

You are right Mrfantasmic, Disney does not control the baseball schedules.

Which makes things even more ludicrous that they are promising that a participant can run through Angel Stadium during the middle of baseball season.

•   
    • Senior Minion

If I was a participant, this news would bum me out.

They really should have done a better job of informing all the participants about this route change. It could be a deal breaker for some folks and they should be given enough time to cancel flights, hotel reservations, etc... If Disney really felt that it was no big deal and wouldn't affect participation in the race then why not give advance notice? Hasn't the baseball schedule been out since the beginning of the year?

• no flash photography...

that sucks. i would be disappointed also.

• Done waiting!!

I was mildly disappointed but I would have registered one way or the other. I'll just be happy to drag myself across the Finish Line! How about we run through the Hooters on Katella instead??
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast