Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    522

    Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    Oh yeah, you heard right! After all Walt said the park will never be finished! Walking down Main Street is what makes Disneyland so inviting. It is the reason why I love Disneyland. It gets you in the imagination mindset. What a wonderful greeting to the guests of the park!

    HOWEVER, the current era of Main Street USA may be becoming irrelevant to much of the population. Don't get me wrong, I still really like it the way it is, and it is a pleasure, but some period progression does need to happen here.

    IF a redo to the theme of Main Street USA is to be considered, it should be redone with a 1950's theme. Showcase all the BEST of the 1950's. Soda shops, theatres, the music, the colors and fun of that decade. Not to mention the FANTASTIC lighted neon signs (but not for all of them). Not quite so "current", but nostalgic enough to create some magic and revive some good memories. This could be a nod to the decade when Disneyland first opened its gates. And it will sort of tie in with the theme of DCA Main Street, only at a later time. I think Walt would love it! Something sort of like this, but with brighter colors and signs.


    A couple of ideas as you walk down Main Street USA...

    1. Main Street Cinema....Change the outside to reflect the style of theatres in the 50's. Inside it's a drive-in. You would sit in cars (would have to be convertibles) in the front or back seats. No doors for easy entry. The cars would be slightly smaller versions of classic 50's cars. Interior of theatre would be themed to look like you were outside, with stars above and trees and a fence around the walls. Yes, it would still show "Steamboat Willie" along with other classic shorts.


    2. City Hall....Updated to look as though it was built in the 50's

    3. Store fronts are more open and incorporate neon into some of their signage. "Offices" are still on floors above. (Apothocary, Dentist, etc.)

    4. Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor....Renamed "Big Al's" it is now a soda or malt shop. Food is themed specifically here. Decor is bright with lots of chrome and some places to sit in booths or at the counter on stools. A juke box is in the back cranking out tunes like "The Hop" and "Little Darlin'".



    5. Carnation Cafe..... Not changing anything but the look! Don't worry, the name stays. Update to look like a 50's restaurant or diner. Again, bright and shiny.


    6. Plaza Inn....Again, new look same great name.

    7. Refreshment Corner....Could be redecorated as a classic diner kinda like this.


    Again, I think Main Street is nice the way it is, but an period update would be fun! Whatever happens, change or no change, it will always be a wonderful welcome to the park!

    Your thoughts and ideas?
    Last edited by disney-fan-reborn; 08-09-2008 at 07:27 AM.

  2. #2

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    Up until I read a few sentences into the post, I was positive this was a joke, especially considering some of the conversations that have happened on the board recently. I'll say this much, and this much only, since others are sure to have far more persuasive and/or insulting replies:

    Thank you for obviously putting a lot of thought into this, and yet not showcasing it as if your opinion is the only one that matters. However, I strongly disagree with your premise that Main Street is no longer relevant. Its relevance has diminished in the sense that not many living people can really remember the era. If that's criterion for cultural irrelevance, it's time to demolish Frontierland, as well.


  3. #3

    • revolutionary waltz
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Walnut, California
    Posts
    358

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    Although I do think a 1950's theme is interesting, and I commend you on thinking this out fairly well (you will probably be receiving some very disparaging comments shortly) I think the sheer cost of changing everything over to this theme, it would entail completely redesigning the exteriors, removing all of the transportation save the stream train, etc.

    As well, I disagree that the era of the current Main Street is irrelevant--Main Street is more of an evocation of the timeless essence of a "main street" than any sort of factual representation of the time period. I can't help but think that a change to a 1950's would completely and irreparably alter the character of the area--changing it into an even more hectic place.

    The theme you propose seems a better fit for Carsland, perhaps apply more of these ideas there?
    Last edited by TwilitWings; 08-07-2008 at 10:31 PM.

  4. #4

    • Shenanigans.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    You clearly have a knack for imagination and some well thought out ideas, however, I would never, ever, want to see the changes you are suggesting. I would never want to see anything about main street change. I am not a theme extreme kinda guy, but that street is almost perfect. It seems they are doing something very close to what you are suggesting in DCA. Only perhaps a little further back in time than the 50's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

  5. #5

    • Shenanigans.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    look how positive everyone is so far!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

  6. #6

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    I know, I'm so glad things haven't gotten ugly yet! I guess it's a little early for chicken-countin'...

    I'll add on to what I said before by letting you know that I do like the idea for somewhere else. Just not as a replacement for the current Main Street, which I agree is nearly perfect. Just add on a massive Hall of Presidents roller coaster and it'll be finished! And don't forget to add the loop.


  7. #7

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,921

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    To add to what the others have said....it is well thought out, and good imagination and examples...nothing wrong with your logic. It just is, the idea feels wrong for me...and that's not all to knock you, or say it's terrible....such a themed area would be immersive and fun as you've detailed it, it just belongs someplace else....fifties LA area in DCA, perhaps and these would all be awesome ideas. Hooray for positiveness!

  8. #8

    • Progressive Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    No.

    There's nothing wrong with the proposal and the idea, but there's also nothing that needs to be done to Main Street either (IMO). I'm usually open to changes within DL, but revamping Main Street is one of the few that is pretty much off the table with me. I couldn't imagine it looking any other way.

  9. #9

    • Fancy that...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,311

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Up until I read a few sentences into the post, I was positive this was a joke, especially considering some of the conversations that have happened on the board recently. I'll say this much, and this much only, since others are sure to have far more persuasive and/or insulting replies:

    Thank you for obviously putting a lot of thought into this, and yet not showcasing it as if your opinion is the only one that matters. However, I strongly disagree with your premise that Main Street is no longer relevant. Its relevance has diminished in the sense that not many living people can really remember the era. If that's criterion for cultural irrelevance, it's time to demolish Frontierland, as well.

    you sum up my thoughts exactly, and a 1950's street would be way too neon and cheap looking for it to be the entrance to Disneyland. Not at all classy enough for such an amazing park...sorry.

  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Valley of the Dolls
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    This idea, and I'm not joking, sounds perfect for Shanghai Disneyland(or what ever the name). But of course riping out the current Main Street would be the closest thing to pissing on Walt's grave.

    However, since I don't see this as a possible future, I'm gonna think of some ideas to post latter.

  11. #11

    •   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Posts
    65,585
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    First off, I like your ideas. You've put a lot of thought into this and come up with a very nice plan. It looks like it would be a great place to wander through and spend some time. The 50's were a fun time. Heck... I was born in the 50's.

    But one of the comments you made as to why this would be a good change, is that the time period currently depicted, is becoming irrelevant to much of the population. In your opinion, what makes the era of the 50's any more relevant to todays crowds, than the current theme? Is it because its a closer time to when the park began, yet far enough away from now that it would, as you mentioned, bring up nostalgic feelings from even the youngest members??

    The relevancy issue is interesting to me, because when they were changing Tom Sawyer's Island, I seem to recall that the relevancy of that time period, to todays society was brought up as well. So from a purely historical point of view, what makes one time period more relevant than another?




    Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


    Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

  12. #12

    •   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Posts
    65,585
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    Computer or internet being weird... duplicate post.




    Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


    Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

  13. #13

    • A spooky ghost
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    110

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    Since we're being nice, I appreciate the obvious amount of time and effort you put into this. However, I'm also VERY glad you're not an imagineer. Main Street USA should NOT be turned into a Mel's Diner.

    That's as nice as it'll get.

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastshore on the San Francisco bay!
    Posts
    40

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    The history of America is not irrelavant to Americans. Walt Disney has now passed on and this park he designed and left is part of America's history. You want a new themed land fine but don't pave over Disney's paradise, he lovingly designed or influnced that part of the show and he is not around to do anymore work as well as his other archtects and designers. leave it alone go build another park in the strwberry fields or somting. hit up and repave DCA.

    But please do not destroy a living pictorial of America's small town main street turn of the 19th to 20th century just because it doesn't suit the whims of todays youth. As one matures one can find appreciation for the begginings of an industrialized nation that became a world power in less than 200 years. you want main street 1950's fine build new park with today's fine and young excellent artists, please dont destroy the work of previous artists to do that.

    What would have happened to the sistine chapels ceiling if people did not appreciate the vision of that eras artiste. That is such a callous and cold hearted thing to do is to wipe out art for the sake of now.

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    491

    Re: Time to update and redo......Main Street USA!!

    Bring back the Penny Arcade and specialized shops, but don't chage Main Street.
    Matthew

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Navigating down Main Street at Parade Time
    By Leofoenget in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 11:48 PM
  2. WDW MK Main Street, U.S.A. time lapse video
    By PhotoMatt in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 05:50 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 09:19 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-13-2006, 02:29 PM
  5. Main Street Curb Removal Update
    By captsmith84 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 11:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •