Oh yeah, you heard right! After all Walt said the park will never be finished! Walking down Main Street is what makes Disneyland so inviting. It is the reason why I love Disneyland. It gets you in the imagination mindset. What a wonderful greeting to the guests of the park!
HOWEVER, the current era of Main Street USA may be becoming irrelevant to much of the population. Don't get me wrong, I still really like it the way it is, and it is a pleasure, but some period progression does need to happen here.
IF a redo to the theme of Main Street USA is to be considered, it should be redone with a 1950's theme. Showcase all the BEST of the 1950's. Soda shops, theatres, the music, the colors and fun of that decade. Not to mention the FANTASTIC lighted neon signs (but not for all of them). Not quite so "current", but nostalgic enough to create some magic and revive some good memories. This could be a nod to the decade when Disneyland first opened its gates. And it will sort of tie in with the theme of DCA Main Street, only at a later time. I think Walt would love it! Something sort of like this, but with brighter colors and signs.
A couple of ideas as you walk down Main Street USA...
1. Main Street Cinema....Change the outside to reflect the style of theatres in the 50's. Inside it's a drive-in. You would sit in cars (would have to be convertibles) in the front or back seats. No doors for easy entry. The cars would be slightly smaller versions of classic 50's cars. Interior of theatre would be themed to look like you were outside, with stars above and trees and a fence around the walls. Yes, it would still show "Steamboat Willie" along with other classic shorts.
2. City Hall....Updated to look as though it was built in the 50's
3. Store fronts are more open and incorporate neon into some of their signage. "Offices" are still on floors above. (Apothocary, Dentist, etc.)
4. Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor....Renamed "Big Al's" it is now a soda or malt shop. Food is themed specifically here. Decor is bright with lots of chrome and some places to sit in booths or at the counter on stools. A juke box is in the back cranking out tunes like "The Hop" and "Little Darlin'".
5. Carnation Cafe..... Not changing anything but the look! Don't worry, the name stays. Update to look like a 50's restaurant or diner. Again, bright and shiny.
6. Plaza Inn....Again, new look same great name.
7. Refreshment Corner....Could be redecorated as a classic diner kinda like this.
Again, I think Main Street is nice the way it is, but an period update would be fun! Whatever happens, change or no change, it will always be a wonderful welcome to the park!
Your thoughts and ideas?