Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• A Suitcase & A Dream

Re: Autopia out....we need something new...

I had an idea for an Autopia style ride for DCA called California Crusin' where you would drive through and around famous California landmarks. I think that would be a good alternative to free up space in Tomorrowland while still keeping a favorite ride opened.

I've recently been thinking about this, but have not been able to completely flesh out the theme. Here is what I have so far.

I would relocate Autopia to Fantasyland. Not physically move it, of course, just change the land it is associated with and the themeing of the ride and cars. First, the queue would be relocated to where the old motor boat cruise dock is, currently the smoking spot. The new queue would also take over the empty stage area over by IASW. By relocating the queue to this area, you also increase traffic to this area. Right now, unless you are going on IASW, PFF, or headed to Toontown, no one is back there.

At the same time, the track would be slightly modified to keep the track comletely inside the Monorail track. Basically loop the ends together completey cutting off the current queue and load are by the subs. The current queue area would then be demoloshed. The land that is freed up would remain in Tomorrowland and is large enough to house a new dark ride. You can easily build a structure as large as the building that hold BLAB and Tomorrowland Terrace.

My thought for the theme was a possible loose retheme to Mary Poppins. Really, it would just take the setting and time period from the movie, and maybe a few songs too.

The Track - It would be set as a drive through turn of the century London and surrounding countryside. Current overpasses would be recreated as stone tunnels and bridges. Some areas you would be traveling through english countryside with trees, wildflowers, and a roadbed that appears to be a dirt path. Another area would be the the parks of London, with formal arrangements of hedges, flowers, wrought iron fences, etc. with a roadbed that appears to be crushed gravel. Another area would be through the streets of London, the scale for the buildings would be the same as the buildings in Big Thunder Ranch so that from the low angle they would appear much larger, the roadbed would be cobblestone streets, etc.

The Cars - They would be rethemed to body types similar to 1920 period British cars, electric propulsion of course (green and quieter). Also, a few of the tracks would reverse direction so that the cars on the track next to you would be traveling in the opposite direction, the same way you drive in England, not all the same direction, like the ride is now. This would also make the cars seem to be traveling faster than they actually do and the right hand steering would be disconcerting even to seasoned drivers. Depending on the areas of travel, you might even have an instrumental medely of the songs from Marry Poppins.

The Queue - Basically all new and built to look like the grand railway stations of the turn of the century. Covered glass and steel roof, riveted steel columns, etc.

I know it could probably be rethemed other ways to tie into other classic movies, but no matter what, I would want the theme to evoke the period and feeling of the movie, not take me through a retelling of it.

I think we can stand to move on from the autopia. Sure, it's a "classic," but so were many other extinct attractions. My problem with the autopia is that it can never really evolve. Sure, you can redress the surrounding to improve the theming, but the theming must always remain somewhat passive in order to keep the cars moving. Something too spectacular would inspire people to stop and look (kind of like a real freeway) and maybe even take pictures. Another problem is the length of the current track. I love long rides, but as an adult, even my leg is a bit tired after the trip around. I know many kids want to drive, but often have to stop and rest or let the adult take over with the pedal.

I think Disney could really use that good sized footprint for so many different ideas. They could create the Discovery Bay that includes the lagoon and Matterhorn, they could add attractions to Fantasyland or Tommorowland or even both. I know it isn't as easy as it seems because much would have to be supported on the subs building and would also need to work around the monorail/peoplemover. But the autopia just seems like an idea that has become outdated.

I would support, however, an autopia in DCA where guests would "offroad" through the national parks. Calico Ghost Town, Redwood Forest, Crystal Caverns, and ending in Yosemite Valley. But of course, the room for such an attraction isn't really there and it fits more with the old DCA theme instead of the old-timey DCA we are thankfully heading towards.

I HATE Autopia. I dove 8 hours to get to DL why would I want to go on a cramped smelly, hard to push the peddel ride? I agree it's nearly impossible to push down the gas. There is a car ride at Great America in Santa Clara which is much better. Easier to push the gas, the CARS themselves are more comfortable and cute. Old fashon model T looking cars. Take out Autopia and Innoventions and put in Mission Space IMO
    Janette

• Animation Domination

I love Autopia, but why can't it run on electricity?
    New models of the cars is also needed.

• Disney Geek

Autopia needs a refurb bad. Getting rid of the Cheveron theme would be a good start.

Autopia needs to stay. It is the only TL opening day attraction left. For this reason alone it is an icon!! Plus it was my first attraction! I would like to see an upgrade when the current contract is over. I have said it before, Hydrogen cars. Yes they are safe and yes they are futuristic and yes they are 'green.' This would make the attraction relevant to the theme of TL. I also think there should be bigger cars. SUV's maybe, that can fit the whole family, two in the front and two in the back. A redesigned tack would be nice with some variations of the scenery. Maybe a view of a 'big city' from up on a hill. Futuristic buildings, a monorail circling the city, no traffic jams, and no pollution. All of this would be miniature of course. Then the cars could go through a farm area which represents the 'Agrifuture' we all know is just around the corner. Then maybe a quick drive to the beach, since there is already an ocean 20 feet from the track.

I do like the idea of an 'electric fence,' to keep the cars from bumping each other. But use the technology to keep the cars on the track instead. That way there is no four inch wide bumper between the wheels of the cars. It could look just like a real highway, or what we imagine the highways will look like in the future.

As for the gas pedal situation, this could easily be changed in the next generation of cars.

Autopia is one of the attractions that can satisfy the purists who like the older things to stay the same and satisfy those who want change by upgrading certain aspects.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT ALL OF THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION!!! THIS IS ALL JUST ME DAYDREAMING ABOUT WHAT I MIGHT DO IF I WERE GIVEN THE CHANCE!!! I HOPE YOU LIKE SOME OF MY IDEAS!

• Banned User

I say they should just spruce up the track a bit with the alien landscape they have in HKDL's version of the ride, and give us new electric cars that aren't as cartoony as the ones in Hong Kong, but still somewhat cartoony. The sounds and lights on those cars would be really cool to have as well.

• Resident Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Mark VII Pilot View Post
    Autopia needs to stay. It is the only TL opening day attraction left.

Actually...is isn't the same as when it opened...they had AN Autopia, but there were two separate tracks, then they turned two into one...that's one reason why the track is so long, I believe...but I guess it's still the same idea...

Honestly, this ride doesn't fit in the world of tomorrow or the world of fantasy with the likes of Peter Pan...it just doesn't fit...

And you also can't do scenery since people would stop to look, and that's bad...

Demolishing it would be okay in my opinion ONLY IF Disneyland came up with a great idea, but that'll naver happen...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Bear View Post
    Just by putting in more visually appealing scenery could do wonders for the area. Think a small tunnel, a few small, mountain passes (In the back, well hidden from the eyes of people from the Matterhorn to IASW) and maybe electric cars would do great for this area. The only trouble I have with electric cars is that it is a technology that isn't really that futuristic. I know they aren't abundant, but they have been around a while. That said, I think the main problem would be coming up with a futuristic vehicle that won't be cartoonish that will please the older crowd (ie: make them forget about rush hour traffic) while keeping the same basic ride/track layout/driving experience (money is always an issue, they won't tear it out and start from scratch) and keeping the fun for younger park goers that just want to drive a car.
    If electric cars aren't futuristic enough, then how about solar powered? They could have solar collectors on the back of the cars, and batteries that store that collected solar energy for times when it isn't so sunny.

Also, I agree that there needs to be better scenery for the drivers. Mountian passes, a little town, tunnels, etc. Make it visually interesting!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Bacon View Post
    Actually...is isn't the same as when it opened...they had AN Autopia, but there were two separate tracks, then they turned two into one...that's one reason why the track is so long, I believe...but I guess it's still the same idea...

Whether it be in name only or not, it's still technically the last remaining 1955 attraction in TL. It should be treated with the same respect as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    Whether it be in name only or not, it's still technically the last remaining 1955 attraction in TL. It should be treated with the same respect as the others.
    Thank You!! I could not have said it any better myself!!

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    This is were nostalgia becomes ridiculous..If the ride sucks..GET RID OF IT or update it..

I'd be fine if they kept it and updated it but it really does not make much sense at all in TL..even if they made it run on alternative fuels, unless if in the future everyone is going to drive go-cart size cars

The area where the Autopia tracks are just feel quaint and somewhat removed from the hustle and bustle of the rest of Tomorrowland. Not only that, but I enjoy the fact that all of the transportation rides gather in that little area for a bit (Monorail, PeopleMover (sigh), and Autopia). The cars that they have now are terrible... make it electric, get PeopleMover back online, and you have a trio of low-emissions transporation solutions. Why not add an Epcot-esque exhibit regarding these new methods of transporation, perhaps in the nearby Innoventions?

• Minion

I think they should rip out the track and cars and put flying saucers and cool spaceships you control and a low glass fence throughout so your saucer doesn't fly away into the bushes! But solar powered cars would be excellent too, there just way to expensive still.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast