Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Autopia out....we need something new...

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13 View Post
    This is were nostalgia becomes ridiculous..If the ride sucks..GET RID OF IT or update it..
    The ride only sucks to a select group of people. You are not the majority of visitors.

• Senior Minion

Well you are using two different criteria, is it still popular so it should be kept, or should it be retained no mater how unpopular it becomes, becuase it's the only remaining Walt original in TL?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    The ride only sucks to a select group of people. You are not the majority of visitors.
    sorry, I just mean that It's subject to change..like any other attraction in Disneyland, and I particularly wouldn't mind to see it go.

• Banned User

I think Disney should take out the piece of concrete out of the middle of the road, and replace it with sensors. If possible why dont allow people two paths to chose from. Since about 6 cars go off together, 2 paths would work like this:

Car 1 choses path A
    Car 2 choses path B
    Car 3 choses path B
    Car 4 choses path A
    Car 5 choses path A
    Car 6 choses path B

The path ends and stops at a signal light. Car 1 gets green light to make a turn into the unloading zone. When car 2 reaches light, car 2 has to wait until car 1 finishes the turn. Then car 2 gets a green light and can turn into the unloading zone. Since Car 3 chose the path the light stays green. Car 4 comes up to signal light and waits for Car 2 and 3 to finish turn. After there turn is complete Car 4 gets the green light. Car 5 goes as well. Then Car 6 waits until they are done with turn, then gets green light.

• "I Break Things"

Whether it be in name only or not, it's still technically the last remaining 1955 attraction in TL. It should be treated with the same respect as the others.
    ... Steam Trains roll through there... last time I checked they were class of 55. Granted you could not board from there but the point remains, they are another 55 in that land (as well as many other lands).

I did some digging and found this. It is actually part of an overall re-theme that would turn Tomorrowland into more of an alien planet/colony look.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I really enjoyed the recent Autopia thread, however I felt this post would be a derailment and decided to post it as a concept instead. I know a lot of people feel that Autopia, good or bad, does not really fit well within the theme of Tomorrowland. It seems odd that in a Spaceport you are driving a car with an internal combustion engine through a variety of scenes and freeways. To little kids this is the future, I realize that, but what about this.

Part of the discovery process is to survey and explore the land. No doubt as we progress in technology there will be explorers who will survey various planets. A lot of this can be scanned from the air, or space, but some amount of groundwork will eventually need to take place.

So, theme it around planetary survey and exploration. Design it so the vehicles resemble rovers instead of cartoon cars. Possibly convince Lockheed, Northrup, or Boeing to be the sponsor then build based on their declassified designs for planetary probes. I say build, they would likely need new electric vehicles that would appear to be either solar powered (most rovers) or self propelled in some other fashion. I would imagine 6 wheelers for the most part, with an array of various instruments, switches, and gauges for the explorer in all of us.

The queue could easily be themed as the base camp. Place maps, notes, alien species, spare parts etc. It could be the futuristic version of the Jungle Boathouse, a self sufficient building in a hostile environment.

The actual landscape theme could be extremely varied, from the small outpost you are leaving to the harsh environments you are going through. I would love to see a section of cave exploration, possibly one that replicates going underwater. This also opens up the door for various alien lifeforms... small creatures that add much needed life to a rather dead landscape.

The primary focus would still be driving, but there would be a great deal more eye candy and a far more immersive themed environment. Thoughts?
    I also did a different one a while back that was similar in effect to Back to the Future in regards to the "floating" cars. Nish221 suggested
    * Put a "floating" car system for Autopia.
    and I followed with
    Not to go "Back to the Future" but this effect would be possible, and IMO most dramatic on Autopia. Combine the raised, down turned tire effect with a new track layout. I would also add misters to the underside of the tires and black light effects at night (black lights glowing on the mist floating above the ground). The "raised" effect would not need to be more then a foot, of course there might be weight limits involved for something like that.
    Last edited by techskip; 08-10-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• ...TWO BITS!

I breezed through this thread and I just can't really agree with it. How many of you actually go to Disneyland with children?? A majority of park visitors always ask where Autopia's entrance is. Most likely not for adults to ride, but it's for their kids. So driving cars is fine for kids, but the element for adults to ponder over goes towards alternative fuel sources. I think there will be h--- to pay if Autopia was actually taken out.

I think most also forget about Autopia's 2000 makeover. That was only 8 years ago and already posters want a change.

I would like to see the queue be converted to something more along the lines of Rocket Rod's 1st queue portion where it dealed with different modes of Tomorrowland transportion. It would be nice to see the different models of Autopia cars in a "car show" style where the vehicles spin on a turntable. Plus it would be a nice air-conditioned queue, unlike the current Chevron tower.

Speaking of the tower, I think it would be more interesting to have a backstory and remodel of the tower as THE control tower for air, ground, space, and ocean traffic.

I was kinda mixed on the "grandstand" queue for Autopia from the beginning.

I would also finally like to make a mention for Autopia's entrance. Many people can't figure out how to get on the ride. It's nearly tucked in a corner of Tomorrowland. The exit also confuses guests. Hopefully in the upgrades, these issue may be addressed.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Little kids love the ride because they get to drive a car. I get it. But as an adult it's boring I also get it. If they are going to keep it, they need to improve it so the cars are easier to drive and the road is more interesting.
    Janette

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    I would also finally like to make a mention for Autopia's entrance. Many people can't figure out how to get on the ride. It's nearly tucked in a corner of Tomorrowland. The exit also confuses guests. Hopefully in the upgrades, these issue may be addressed.
    I would LOVE to have both entrance, and exit, where the Subs stroller parking is now... how they accomplish that would be another thread entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
    Little kids love the ride because they get to drive a car. I get it. But as an adult it's boring I also get it. If they are going to keep it, they need to improve it so the cars are easier to drive and the road is more interesting.
    Coming from the 6'4 Dad... please add a LOT more legroom... even if that means going with the double peddle concept!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• decorating

Autopia is still one of my husband's favorites.
    There are quite a few rides that cater to an older audience. Autopia is a fantasy experience for young kids, as they get to drive. In Disneyland. Not every ride needs to interest people over 12 as well. How many little ones are afraid of HM?
    The one change I'd like them to make is somehow make the wait less boring. It's the same jokes. Over. and over. Maybe driving related cartoons would help? That line is too long to have three mini scenes where you don't get to watch it all before moving.

• ...TWO BITS!

I must make a mention about the Miramax movie "Clerks II", the one character prefers driving the mini-cars than a real car because it helps him escape... or something to the extent of that. That should be something to ponder over.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Coming from the 6'4 Dad... please add a LOT more legroom... even if that means going with the double peddle concept!
    Not a bad idea.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

If Disney did team up with Honda I think it would be awesome if they used the hydrogen technology Honda came up with where the cars use hydrogen as fuel and the only byproduct is water. I think it would be amazing and futuristic to drive a hydrogen powered car. It would fit very well in Tomorrowland also if they gave the cars a futuristic look. The thing that wouldn't be so great is it would probly be very expensive!

• Cove Bar Official Dj

to me electric, just screams cheap.... because the cars are driving electric off the "track" power source... might as well go up to valencia to ride their cars....

the hydrogen sounds like a great idea.
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Please use hydrogen cars!!! Also redo the entire landscape with futuristic and interactive elements. I would make it into an E-ticket. This could truly be an amazing attraction that redefines family entertainment if they would just recognize it and think outside the box for once.

• Planning my next trip

Quote Originally Posted by brandond6 View Post
    If Disney did team up with Honda I think it would be awesome if they used the hydrogen technology Honda came up with where the cars use hydrogen as fuel and the only byproduct is water. I think it would be amazing and futuristic to drive a hydrogen powered car. It would fit very well in Tomorrowland also if they gave the cars a futuristic look. The thing that wouldn't be so great is it would probly be very expensive!
    Hydrogen cars are electric cars. The hydrogen just replaces the batteries as the electricity "holder".

Unfortunately the technology is so ridiculously expensive right now it is a total impossibility to make an Autopia type ride using it.

• Oo-de-lally

I do not think that they should take out the ride all together but I definitely think it needs to be re-made. I go to the park at least 5 times a month and I don't think I have been on that ride in over a year. It just is not that fun to me. I do notice the line is always long so taking the ride out would be a mistake.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast