Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Re: Autopia out....we need something new...

Quote Originally Posted by rokketride View Post
    Hydrogen cars are electric cars. The hydrogen just replaces the batteries as the electricity "holder".

Unfortunately the technology is so ridiculously expensive right now it is a total impossibility to make an Autopia type ride using it.
    Minor clarification... it is more or less the energy "generator" as well as holder. It is the traveling of the Hydrogen atom that generates the electricity as it goes "around" the membrane... But you are right as a means of power it effectively replaces the battery component of a vehicle.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Hydrogen cars are electric cars. The hydrogen just replaces the batteries as the electricity "holder".

Unfortunately the technology is so ridiculously expensive right now it is a total impossibility to make an Autopia type ride using it.
    I don't care what it is, the words hydrogen and autopia cars gives me goosebumps.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by brandond6 View Post
    I don't care what it is, the words hydrogen and autopia cars gives me goosebumps.
    Hopefully this is not due to the tragic flight of the Hindenburg. Please realize that while Hydrogen is highly flammable... it wasn't the Hydrogen that people saw burning, it was rocket fuel. To be more specific, the designers had coated the hull's fabric in a new mixture to "weather proof" it. That mixture later proved to be the basis for modern rocket fuel... Looking back this tragedy likely would have occurred regardless (explosion was set off by a combination of factors including bad weather and static buildup) but the extra fuel didn't help. Looking at pictures now it appears the majority of the Hydrogen burned as it passed through the burning hull (Hydrogen burns a white to blue color... rocket fuel burns red and yellow).

• Planning my next trip

I think by goosebumps its more a reference to technology of the future being exciting. If so, I agree.

• "I Break Things"

I think by goosebumps its more a reference to technology of the future being exciting. If so, I agree.
    my apologies I took it as either fear or apprehension... if it is excitement then I am in the same crowd.

• Master of Disaster

Here's an idea for you!

With a conversion to electric cars that means no fumes correct? So why not build a "show building" reminiscent of the old tron section of the people mover. some fans blowing making it seem like your moving faster and on the walls/screens your driving the car in different places around the world. maybe even "racing" another driver or something.

By making a building like this as well there's more real estate on top of the building to have another attraction. Also move part of ride onto the new sub building and free up even more real estate for future attractions.

just a thought on how to improve the ride more.

• illest since '86

test track FTW.....

• Honorary Dapper Dan

I really don't find the popularity of the ride as a godo reason to not revamp the ride. Star Tours always has a fairly long line, and change is coming that way. Why should Autopia be any different? Also, some of the line can be contributed to the incredibly slow loading of the attraction. Line builds up faster when less guests are getting through. Autopia simply wasn't built to handle so many guests, so the long line is really more contributed to that factor.

Also, as many have said, driving on the freeway is NOT a Tomorrowland concept. I agree with the idea of turning the attraction into some sort of hover car freeway. THAT would actually be fun.

• MC, this is LD

You could have a electrified rail that the car connects to (yes like a subway...) and the car gets a continuous current... The pedal could be connected to a potentiometer...

Yes thats what I meant, technology of the future is exciting.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Wavy Blue View Post
    I really don't find the popularity of the ride as a godo reason to not revamp the ride. Star Tours always has a fairly long line, and change is coming that way. Why should Autopia be any different? Also, some of the line can be contributed to the incredibly slow loading of the attraction. Line builds up faster when less guests are getting through. Autopia simply wasn't built to handle so many guests, so the long line is really more contributed to that factor.
    Not sure when Star Tours is "long" it generally hovers around the 15min mark these days at most. Autopia by comparison is a good 30min plus every time I have been to the park. Capacity is a major factor, and seeing the sheer backup leading up to the station is discouraging!

• Kungaloosh!

The kiddies like Autopia, so I say let it be. Let's focus on other areas of Tomorrowland first, like the Peoplemover and Star Tours.

Also, I love the smell of fuel exhaust.

I'm torn. Tomorrowland seemed almost dead the last time I was there, so it makes sense to focus on injecting some life with new attractions first (like a new people mover). But, Autopia just doesn't fit anymore. It's not a vision of the future. It is our past and quickly changing present. What's worse is that this lack of futurism seems to be wearing off on surrounding attractions. It has clearly infected Innoventions and the "House of today's really expensive stuff." So, maybe we need to update Autopia before it infects the whole land.

Whatever form the new version takes, it cannot be powered by combustion engines. My vote is to also remove any cartoony/fantasy elements like we have with the Chevron cars.

If it remains a ride based on cars, it doesn't really matter what the Futuristic alternative fuel of choice is. Hydrogen cars sound cool, but in reality, Disney would not put a fleet of hydrogen powered cars out on the track. They would most likely go with an electric fleet that is themed to be whatever you want - hydrogen, electric, solar, compressed air, laughter, gerbils running on a wheel, or whatever.

The problem I see with the idea of updating it to a "green" version with alternative fuel cars is that many of these technologies are too close to being either ready to use or ready to be scrapped. The next 10 years will probably see the Blu-ray/HDDVD war all over again with fuel efficient cars. Whatever Disney latches onto for an Autopia upgrade could end up being out-dated in the near future, leaving us in the same predicament we're in now.

The only option I see as feasible would be to go totally futuristic - not cars as we envision them today. The flying saucer or hovering car ideas sound like good starts to me.

Regarding Autopia fitting Tomorrowland because it's futuristic for kids - sorry, I don't buy it.

You can't justify a thematic violation because it may fit one demographic, but not all. If it's not a vision of tomorrow for everyone, then it doesn't belong in Tomorrowland.

• Senior Minion

Well said Blackfoot, that's exactly how I feel.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast