Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Re: Disneyland music on piano!

Great job, Data!

I'm a piano player myself and I love playing Disney music as well as Classical, Jazz, and Romance.

Loved what you did to the Space Mountain one, especially the beginning. (The actual ride portion is quite cool as well -- had a bit of a Jazz/Classical feel to it.)

Kudos!

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Great job, Data. Playing by ear is a skill set all in its self. Maybe one day we'll see you in the lobby of the Grand Californian?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• =)

Muchos gracias, both of ya!

Maybe one day we'll see you in the lobby of the Grand Californian?
    Ooh, that'd be fun. I'd get frustrated with how little backstage I'd get to experience, though. I'd probably end up trying to transfer to Attractions in Disneyland.

• =)

HISTA! Sorry it's not a more well-liked attraction, but the little ditty Bruce Broughton wrote for it is pretty catchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=0VdpaYcEQE8
    Last edited by Datameister; 08-11-2008 at 11:56 AM.

• Minion

HOORAY THANKS DATA! HISTA does have a catchy soundtrack! It's a pretty neat show if I do say so myself.

• =)

You're welcome! I agree; it's not nearly as bad as a lot of fans say, if you ask me.

• Small Worlds of Walt

These are really cool. Great job on Space Mountain!

How about a Casey Jr? The ride soundtrack is actually an amalgam of a two songs from Dumbo. I'd love to hear your take on it.

• =)

Thank you very much!

How about a Casey Jr? The ride soundtrack is actually an amalgam of a two songs from Dumbo. I'd love to hear your take on it.
    You know, I actually haven't heard it. Haven't been on Casey Jr. in at least a decade, if ever. If someone were to PM me the recordings, I might do it. No promises--I've got quite a few others in the works for posting. Pianoman, you'll be happy to know that I'm currently getting the HM ballroom waltz up to an acceptable quality level so I can post it, perhaps later today.

• =)

By popular request, je vous presente...

The Haunted Mansion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=xBlilryTRXQ

Sorry about the lack of the music box at the beginning--I just don't know it well enough, and the video was long enough already.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I finally was able to get off my blackberry. I was only able to hear the Haunted Mansion but I will listen to the rest after work.

Impressive. And you say this is all by ear? It's amazing how you get the dissonances right on! If you can get your hands on an organ -- even an electric one -- the effect would be even more realistic.

I don't seem to recall any if much harmony in the foyer music though. Although I could be completely wrong with that one. Next time I go I will take a listen and see about that -- that is, if I can hear it above all the guests yacking it up!

• =)

Thanks, DIP!

And you say this is all by ear? It's amazing how you get the dissonances right on!
    That is, for the most part. I mean, I've seen the lead sheet for GGG on doombuggies.com, but that was after I started working on my arrangement, and I really didn't make any changes that resulted from that lead sheet. Glad you enjoyed it! Those dissonances were difficult to get right, but I don't regret putting in some extra time over the last few days to get them closer to the real thing.

I don't seem to recall any if much harmony in the foyer music though. Although I could be completely wrong with that one. Next time I go I will take a listen and see about that -- that is, if I can hear it above all the guests yacking it up!
    Thanks in part to those loquacious guests, it's very difficult to pick out the bass notes in the foyer organ. But they are definitely there. They subliminally add a lot to the sound, particularly when listening to it as a recording outside of the context of the park. They have a different timbre from the melody--much less incisive--which leads me to believe they were played either on the pedals or on a different manual. Probably the former, though you're the organ expert, not I.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Thanks in part to those loquacious guests, it's very difficult to pick out the bass notes in the foyer organ. But they are definitely there. They subliminally add a lot to the sound, particularly when listening to it as a recording outside of the context of the park. They have a different timbre from the melody--much less incisive--which leads me to believe they were played either on the pedals or on a different manual. Probably the former, though you're the organ expert, not I.
    The pedal usually goes along harmonically with the left hand accompaniment, so in the case of the foyer music the pedal is definitely adding a different timbre, which like I have said before this is going to be difficult to replicate on the piano. If you will allow me to add some constructive criticism to your version of the foyer music -- one would be to play it just a little bit slower. The other is to not use the sustain pedal too much. The sustain pedal causes the notes of the melody to bleed into each other and the foyer music is extrememly reliant on melody so by not using the sustain pedal, this should add some realism. But then this piece must be played extremely smoothly by both hands to compensate for the lack of the sustain pedal.

The ballroom music is more dissonant and rhythmic than the foyer music, and I am very impressed by your rendition. If your piano has a sostenuto pedal I would use that to help blend the notes of the bass line with the chords played in the left hand so it sounds more like an organ and less like a caliope. It has always been my belief that the pipe organ in the ballroom sounds that way because it is old and actually hasn't been played for years.

Other than that. Impressive! Keep up the good work! Now I'm just waiting for 20 minutes of America Sings!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    If you will allow me to add some constructive criticism to your version of the foyer music -- one would be to play it just a little bit slower. The other is to not use the sustain pedal too much. The sustain pedal causes the notes of the melody to bleed into each other and the foyer music is extrememly reliant on melody so by not using the sustain pedal, this should add some realism. But then this piece must be played extremely smoothly by both hands to compensate for the lack of the sustain pedal.
    Thanks for the tips! You're absolutely right about the tempo--listening to the original again, I'm realizing I played it way too fast. Must have been a combination of nerves (because my mic tends to stop working after a few moments) and habit. I'll slow it down in the future. I'll definitely consider what you're saying about the pedal, too--it makes a lot of sense.

The ballroom music is more dissonant and rhythmic than the foyer music, and I am very impressed by your rendition. If your piano has a sostenuto pedal I would use that to help blend the notes of the bass line with the chords played in the left hand so it sounds more like an organ and less like a caliope. It has always been my belief that the pipe organ in the ballroom sounds that way because it is old and actually hasn't been played for years.

Other than that. Impressive! Keep up the good work! Now I'm just waiting for 20 minutes of America Sings!
    Haha, I'm glad the dissonances are translating well to piano. My sostenuto pedal is okayish...perhaps I'll give it a try, though whenever I make one of my infrequent attempts at using it for something, I'm disappointed. First time for everything, though.

Don't hold your breath for America Sings. Sorry to let ya down, but it's not part of my repertoire, though it's certainly possible that I'll pick it up at some point.

EDIT: The other issue with my version of the foyer organ is that I played it in A minor, not Ab minor. I forgot that oddly enough, it's not in the same key as the load area, seance circle (I think), ballroom, the start of the attic and graveyard tracks, and the exit crypt music. Go figure. The thing that's really frustrating is that my piano is missing its second-to-lowest A string--it broke while I was playing a few months ago, and I haven't had it replaced yet--but that whole problem would have been avoided if I'd just remembered to play in the right key! I may re-record the foyer.

• =)

Here's the very good overture to the very bad Haunted Mansion movie. Enjoy! Around 2:50 in the video, I switched up the graphics a little, so don't look away assuming that it stays the same the whole time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=6TXJ7w7Gchw

Not exactly Disneyland music, but it's based on some Disneyland music.

• =)

I've rerecorded the HM foyer! Much better, I think. Thanks so much for the suggestions, DIP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=3IUJTtKwzoU

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)