Page 106 of 201 FirstFirst ... 6568196103104105106107108109116131156 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 3011

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    She... The dragon is a she.
    And her name is Maleficent!

I've been pretty underwhelmed with this whole Summer Nightastic thing, as the only thing I was excited for was the new dragon.
    The new Pixie Hollow night show was the coolest thing to come out of this whole failed promotion. And that was just CUTE at best. I'm not even the whiny type, but all I'm asking for is the cool new dragon, Disney! Is that too much to ask?
    I live and breathe for these artistic ladies...

Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Major Rivers of America refurbishment
    Details: Major Rivers of America refurb, resulting in a hiatus for Fantasmic! and a closed Tom Sawyer Island, Sailing Ship Columbia, and Mark Twain Riverboat
    Project Status: Drained and closed during winter and spring 2010.
    Open Date: May 2010
    May or April?

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    She... The dragon is a she.
    Can anyone explain to me what really went wrong with the dragon.....why it broke?
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Diamond Edition

I don't know for sure, but somebody told me it was a problem with the neck. I'm assuming that means an issue with lifting the head or supporting it or something.

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

Post Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

There is a huge platform that the dragon sits on and that is lifted to just below the stage. Then there is a Hydraulic pipe (kinda like what the light towers have) that lifts the main body up. Now that the body is in place the programmers can program what they want it to do. When they were programing the segment in the show when the dragon gets killed by mickey they had it so its head swung around and this included the head going back behind the main body. This put enormous stress on the pipe and that snapped causing this 10000 pound dragon to have nothing supporting it and then the dragon crashed upon itself. The Head went chin first into the concrete, and the body was a heap of metal and fabric. The crew then regrouped and pushed the dragon heap down into the pit to be examined for what failed and needs to be beefed up into a much stronger structure.

If you have any questions I can probably answer them.

Opinion: I think that the programers might have pushed what they wanted the dragon to do a little too much here. But then again if it was built correctly all connections, pipes should be able to handle 2x or 3x the stress they would ever see. Also if you move your head in a circle notice how much your spine moves when your head is back. That would be quite a lot of stress on metal, but it depends on the structure of the framework. In this case was very weak.

• DCA FTW!

@Fantasmanatic
    So is it true that they replaced the pipe with a stronger one already? And any idea on when they expect it to be up and running again?
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coast21 View Post
    @Fantasmanatic
    So is it true that they replaced the pipe with a stronger one already? And any idea on when they expect it to be up and running again?
    Apparently the tech crew hopes to have Maleficent up and running for debut on July 17, Disneyland's 54th birthday.

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

Post Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

@Coast21
    When I was at the Park on June 12th they had already started to test new pipes to replace the broken one, they were testing out pipes rated at 15,000 pounds and others at 20,000 pounds. Which would be 1.5x more than needed and 2x more than needed to support the dragon. The reason they would go for heavier duty is 1. The less heavy duty 10,000 pound pipe broke 2. The movements add a lot of stress onto the pipe. I would say the new pipe was already put in last month. Now they are most likely on the programing, and fine tuning. On June 12th when I talked to my guy, he said that the dragon was easily getting out of the pit and everything, and that that was no longer a worry. They were on final programming when the dragon broke.

As to when it will finally debut I am not sure. I am not an employee, I just have connections and already know a lot about metal and structural engineering since I am training to be that. I will talk to my guy on Tuesday and see what is currently going on. So expect an update on wednesday from me.

• Banned User

Fantasmanatic-

Is the dragon fixed and everything yet?

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Fantasmanatic-

Is the dragon fixed and everything yet?
    It sounds like it is not totally fixed yet, but that they are testing several options for a final fix at this time.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    It sounds like it is not totally fixed yet, but that they are testing several options for a final fix at this time.
    Alrighty. I am going to pray it doesn't break again!

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Al’s latest DLR update posted today mentions that the Cathay Circle building’s interior plans are still very much in flux. He goes on to say that Regardless of which Anaheim department gets its hands on the Carthay Circle, WDI is now putting all of their Walt Disney Story eggs in the new Mr. Lincoln show for now.” So does that mean the “new” Mr. Lincoln Show will be the WD Story featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln? Originally it was going to be the DL Story featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. I’m a little confused now.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I've added a new entry for the Halloween fireworks show. I also updated the Star Tours 2 entry, thanks to info in Al Lutz's 7/7 update

New Halloween-themed fireworks show
    Details: Al Lutz reported in his 7/7 MiceAge.com column that a new Halloween-themed fireworks show would debut as part of the 2009 Disney's HalloweenTime offerings.
    Project Status: In development.
    Debuts: September 2009.

Star Tours 2
    Details: Long-rumored, and long-delayed update of Star Tours attraction.
    Project Status: Unknown.
    Open Date: Previously said to open by 2010, then later said to be delayed until summer 2011. Al Lutz reported in his 7/7 column that Star Tours 2 would debut May 2011

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Member; Mousketeer

Andy, just pondering.

Was one of the reasons that the Star Tours overhaul
    was delayed was because Team Disney Orlando
    did not want to participate in the funding
    of the overall project?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
  2. 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
  3. 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM