Page 123 of 201 FirstFirst ... 237398113120121122123124125126133148173 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 3011

• Minion

Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

Do you all think that Star Tours will have a new facade when it opens in 2011? I think we've all heard the rumours of a complete makeover for Tomorrowland sometime in the coming decade...and I think it's more likely to happen in pieces rather than all at once...so was wondering if ST2 might be the first component of such a makeover?
    Down with the Hat

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Do you all think that Star Tours will have a new facade when it opens in 2011? I think we've all heard the rumours of a complete makeover for Tomorrowland sometime in the coming decade...and I think it's more likely to happen in pieces rather than all at once...so was wondering if ST2 might be the first component of such a makeover?

I think the Astro Orbiter was actually the first component of such a makeover. It has a new color scheme that differs pretty significantly from the current blue, silver and white of TL. There are golds and magentas in the new scheme. I think we can expect to see this color scheme more or less replicated throughout the land. Though I hope with enough variation that it doesn't look like one giant color pallate.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I think the Astro Orbiter was actually the first component of such a makeover. It has a new color scheme that differs pretty significantly from the current blue, silver and white of TL. There are golds and magentas in the new scheme. I think we can expect to see this color scheme more or less replicated throughout the land. Though I hope with enough variation that it doesn't look like one giant color pallate.
    The bronze/golds are still present throughout Tomorrowland, leftover from the Tomorrowland '98 makeover. And the magenta color can be seen on Monorail signage.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    I certainly hope ST2 gets more than just the movie changed out. The external signage was great back in 198*, but definitely look out of date, and a little classless, now. I think that, after this long, the queue deserves a refresh of its thematic elements and maybe some high-tech (circa 2010) eye-candy. Also, there must be newer, better computers, mechanics, etc. available, to replace those currently used on ST, to make the ride experience better.

Really, if Disney were going to do a total re-fit of this ride, there would be some very cool possibilities. Perhaps, give ST a greater range of motion, like allowing it to tilt (forward, backward, and to either side) almost 90 degrees? With that level of freedom, ST2 could provide a totally (dare I say it?) AWESOME ride experience. Obviously, that would require more elaborate restraints for the riders, but to be honest, I've never felt very well contained in my seat, on ST, with just the seatbelt.

Since there are three shuttles, one or two could be programmed with the really radical simulation that takes full advantage of the ride's improved capabilities. I could see it being an intense space battle and maybe a light-speed jump ending too close to some massive spacial phenomenon that the shuttle has to escape from. The remaining one or two shuttles could provide an alternate ride experience on the same level as what ST currently offers - something like a pod race set on some never-before-seen, fantastic world in the Star Wars universe.

Also, while it was cute the first couple of times I rode ST, please let's get rid of the dorky PeeWee Herbot at the helm of the shuttle. Regardless of what people think of the last three Star Wars movies, they are obviously darker/more serious, over all, compared to the original trilogy. Today's kids dosn't need to be a dorky, incompetent robot, to keep them from getting too frightened on a ride based on Star Wars.

Maybe a more 'normal' robot could be the pilot, and it could seriously malfunction. Better yet, there could be a human(oid) pilot that somehow gets incapacitated near the beginning of the ride, and R2D2 has to continue piloting the craft for the remainder of the ride. I think having the more direct tie-in with R2D2 would provide the ride with some additional draw for many Star Wars fans.

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot... Another element that would make ST2 much more immersive, would be 'viewports' (ala large LCD panels) along either side of the shuttles, and even on the ceiling, providing a really wide view of what's going on around the outside of the shuttle, rather than just the narrow, front-only view that the ride currently offers.
    Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 08-07-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

^ Sorrry, Capt. Rex is one of my favorite parts of the current Star Tours. Plus I love the general idea of AA robots because the designs and movements can by limitless.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• Banned User

Anyone think they'll get rid of him because of the PeeWee controversy stuff?

• Minion

Sorry, i saw a thread on here but it must have been removed but it dealt with the hatbox ghost for the new haunted mansions. Was that just a rumour or what didnt get to the end of it.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    Sorry, i saw a thread on here but it must have been removed but it dealt with the hatbox ghost for the new haunted mansions. Was that just a rumour or what didnt get to the end of it.
    It was a hoax

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    Maybe a more 'normal' robot could be the pilot, and it could seriously malfunction.
    While I've never had a problem with PeeWee Herbot, I wouldn't mind a newer robot at the helm. Unfortunately, Lucas seems to have a love affair with annoying characters these days, so there's a good chance we'd be stuck with something even more cartoonish and Jar Jar.

I'd like to see a more sinister take on a robot pilot, something along the lines of Tim Curry's preshow robot in Alien Encounter. Maybe he takes the "shortcuts" on purpose... Could be too dark for the kids, though.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Not at this point. If that was an issue it would have happened years ago.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    I highly doubt it. I'm positive that hardly anyone besdies the Imagineers and us Disney geeks know that PeeWee Herman does the voice. And like BoogaFrito said, if it was an issue it would have been removed years ago.

Now that I think about it, too bad it WASN't removed years ago, because if they removed REX and had to replace him with something else, I'm sure the rest of Star Tours would have gotten some plusses and changes.

• Artistic integrity

any pics up on what was done with Cosmic Waves?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    any pics up on what was done with Cosmic Waves?
    http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/dat...aves-more.html

About halfway down, after the Celebrate pictures, there are a few pictures of the new seating area.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Auditions for "A Christmas Fantasy" have popped up on DisneyAuditons.com and has this info on the dates for the parade.

Disney Auditions - Audition Calendar
    Must be available for performances on weekdays and weekends from Nov. 13, 2009 Jan. 3, 2010
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• Fireworks Finatic!

Quote Originally Posted by nemofinder22 View Post
    Auditions for "A Christmas Fantasy" have popped up on DisneyAuditons.com and has this info on the dates for the parade.

That seems like it includes rehearsal times. Nov 13 is a bit early for the parade to begin, at least compared to the past few years. Most likely it will not begin until the Friday before Thanksgiving. (Nov 20)

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronInCal View Post
    That seems like it includes rehearsal times. Nov 13 is a bit early for the parade to begin, at least compared to the past few years. Most likely it will not begin until the Friday before Thanksgiving. (Nov 20)
    You bring up a great point there! but then I looked again and under the male and female performer parts it mentions this-

Must be available for rehearsals on selected weekday evenings and weekends from Oct. 1 Nov. 12.
    I probably should have quoted more but it does seem like an early start for the parade.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
  2. 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
  3. 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM
  4. 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
  5. 07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
  6. 06-26-2009, 01:06 PM
  7. 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM
  8. 04-22-2009, 07:39 PM
  9. 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
  10. 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
  11. 03-04-2009, 09:20 AM