Page 125 of 201 FirstFirst ... 2575100115122123124125126127128135150175 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 3011

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

Oh, it's by the kennel, that sounds like a good spot, it's never very busy over there.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The Orange County Register's Around Disney blog has some firm dates for the start of the Disneyland Hotel remodel, as well as the opening of the Grand Californian Hotel's new DVC wing

Disneyland Hotel Renovation
    Details: Long-anticipated renovation of the Disneyland Hotel will include a tower-by-tower, multi-phase renovation in which each hotel tower will be completely gutted and remodeled. New rooms will feature fiber-optic Sleeping Beauty Castle headboards, wireless internet, flatscreen TVs, and multiple energy-efficient upgrades. For more information, click here.
    Project Status: To begin August 24, 2009
    Completion Date: 2012

Grand Californian Hotel Disney Vacation Club Villas
    Details: New Disney Vacation Club timeshare units are under construction as part of a large expansion of the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel.
    Project Status: In progress.
    Completion Date: Opens September 23, 2009.

Major makeovers coming to Disney hotels
    The oldest Disney hotel is about to undergo a major renovation, while a newer Disney hotel is about to finish a big expansion, Disney officials have announced.

A head-to-toe makeover of the Disneyland Hotel, which opened in 1955, is set to begin Aug. 24. The remodeling will begin in the Dreams Tower, which is the middle building of the iconic hotel.

Workers are expected to start with the top floors and work their way down, eventually reaching all 970 rooms in the hotel through 2012, said John McClintock, a spokesman for the Disneyland Resort.

Nearby, the expansion of the Grand Californian Hotel and Spa is nearly complete. On Sept. 23, the hotel is set to open up about 200 new rooms and 50 villas to occupants. The villas are the first West Coast dwellings in the Disney Vacation Club, the company’s time-share program.

The hotel will have a total of 945 units when done.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Any new Star Tours 2 info?

• Future Imagineer! =D

^^^^ hmm idk, but I would like to here some new info too
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The OC Register's Around Disney blog broke some news Friday morning about a new parking lot being planned for the former strawberry field, which was previously set to be the site of Disney's third theme park for the Disneyland Resort.

Strawberry Field Parking Lot
    Details: A new 2,570-space parking lot is planned for the former strawberry field on Harbor Blvd., the place Disney previously had set aside for a third Disneyland Resort theme park. The lot would be in use for a minimum of six years, with the option of an extension to 10 years, according to The Orange County Register.
    Project Status: The parking lot proposal will go before the Anaheim Planning Commission on Monday, August 17, 2009. If the plan is approved, construction would begin within the next six months.
    Completion Date: Likely 2010.

Disney parking lot set for third theme park site
    Disney plans to build a massive parking lot on the field that it originally bought for a possible third Anaheim theme park.

That means that a new park likely would be at least six to 10 years away when the lot is no longer needed.

Disney wants to add 2,570 new parking spots for guests to the Harbor Boulevard site, eating up the majority of the remaining open space on a former strawberry field that the company bought about 11 years ago in anticipation of building a third theme park.

The new parking lot plan is set to go before the Anaheim Planning Commission at 2:30 p.m. Monday at City Hall, 200 S. Anaheim Blvd. City officials are recommending that the plan be approved, said Sheri Vander Dussen, the city’s planning director.

The extra temporary parking space is needed during the Disney’s California Adventure expansion through 2012, said Suzi Brown, a spokeswoman for the Disneyland Resort.

Already, Disney closed the 2,226-space Timon parking lot where it is building the 12-acre Cars Land as part of the $1-billion California Adventure expansion. See a full map of California Adventure expansion plans.

“The presence of a temporary parking lot at this location in no way enhances or discounts the potential of future investment at this location,” said Suzi Brown, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman. “We’ll grow business when and where it makes sense to do so. But our focus at this time is on the expansion of Disney’s California Adventure.”

Disney also has an agreement with the Anaheim GardenWalk mall and the Anaheim Convention Center to use their parking facilities when needed, Brown said.

The proposal would allow Disney to run the parking lot for at least six years with a possible extension for a total of 10 years. The city wants to reserve space for the possible Anaheim Fixed-Guideway system — a transit link, like a monorail, between a planned transportation hub and the tourist area. If the guideway isn’t ready in six years, Disney could keep its parking lot for up to 10 years, under the proposal.

Already, 1,701 parking spaces are on the former strawberry field for overflow parking from Disney and the Anaheim Convention Center, as well as for employees. Disney allowed growers to harvest strawberries on the site until recently, Brown said.

Construction could begin within the next six months, Brown said.

Visitors would take shuttle buses from the lot across from the Anaheim Convention Center north on Harbor Boulevard to the entrance of the theme parks, Brown said. The parking lot would serve as overflow parking on busy days.

An extra left-turn lane would be added from Disney Way to Harbor Boulevard to improve the traffic flow, according to the city report.
    Charles Ahlers, president of the Anaheim/Orange County Visitor and Convention Bureau, said more parking is needed in the area, especially when major conventions come to town. He said Disney could still develop the property later to bring in more visitors.

“Obviously, we’d rather have a great development there, but for short-term help, parking is OK,” Ahlers said. “But I think Disney is being cautious, as well as they should be cautious.”

Hundreds of residents live in apartments just east of the proposed parking lot. An 8-acre band of land will be around the parking lot as a buffer, Brown said.

Rosie Tapia, the apartment manager for the 152-unit French Quarter Apartments, said she would prefer to have parking there instead of an empty lot, where cats and other critters congregate.

“I think a parking lot is better idea. I think it’s better for Disneyland, because it’s getting bigger,” Tapia said.

Todd Ament, a planning commissioner who is also president of the Anaheim Chamber of Commerce, declined to say how he would vote. However, from a business perspective, he said he thinks Disney is making a “smart move.” He said Disney is focusing on the expansion of the current park for now, so it should use the land it has for parking needs.

Currently, Disney has 28,893 parking space in the Anaheim Resort tourist area, according to city records.

| | |

• We Go On.

That's very good news about the parking lot! I don't kow about you, but I'm seeing a Downtown Disney East in the future. Otherwise, it would be a great spot for a new resort hotel. Any chance this area would be connected by the monorail?

I've been there all summer during the busiest of times and K Lot is never full..it doesn't even overflow into the other parking lot behind K Lot..
    NOCC
    the best side is the Westside

• Banned User

Soo no chance of a 3rd gate then?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Soo no chance of a 3rd gate then?
    Not for six to 10 years.

| | |

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Not for six to 10 years.
    Which is good. They should concentrate on their 2nd gate before they attempt a 3rd gate. So I'm happy with this.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Steamboat Willie

Does anyone know if Pinocchio opened up today? I thought Darkbeer mentioned in his article today that it was possible.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Which is good. They should concentrate on their 2nd gate before they attempt a 3rd gate. So I'm happy with this.
    Well, that's a slippery slope.

Six years is the minimum, if the parking lot plans are approved by the City. It will likely be extended to 10 years. And then after that? What, another decade? Another two decades?

We know how long Disney likes to take with these things. Especially if Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, and the Little Mermaid prove successful and they decide to move along with Phase 2 of the DCA expansion/remodel.

Me thinks, we have a long time yet until a third park is a viable option again.

| | |

• King of Los Angeles

I'd rather see two strong parks before they rush a hastily put together third. Save it for Disney Sea!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Me thinks, we have a long time yet until a third park is a viable option again.
    I absolutely agree, and I think that's a good thing. They shouldn't be worrying or thinking about a 3rd gate till the 2nd gate is going good and strong.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Drink life to the lees.

But, if they don't start thinking ahead, then it will be like 5-7 years after DCA is going good before we see number three...

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
  2. 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
  3. 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM
  4. 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
  5. 07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
  6. 06-26-2009, 01:06 PM
  7. 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM
  8. 04-22-2009, 07:39 PM
  9. 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
  10. 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
  11. 03-04-2009, 09:20 AM