Page 30 of 201 FirstFirst ... 52027282930313233405580130 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

Great piont Uncle Bob. I have to say that I am thrilled the every day care is being done at Disneyland like it used to before Pressler/Harris era began. It is wonderful to go to Disneyland every year and see that it looks brand new!

• I'm not really here

Agreed! The daily upkeep and small projects that Disneyland has been doing over the past few years has been amazing and made me so happy. Those things had been neglected for so long.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    My comment WOW!!!

and although i would love to say something about the project and or give more dayailed hints i feel that it is better not too. From years of reading these boards as well as others i have learned that there will always be people ready to criticize what they have not seen and are not familair with. Others will forget that large projects change and evolve and later claim cutbacks and problems were the reasons for the changes.

Its already happening now with some of the projects that Disney already announced a bit too early for DCA. Those project were still early in design stage and were still evolving and now that more concrete final designs are being released people have theorized on why the changes were made when not knowing the facts.

I also do not blame the reason for these concerns from many people especialy after a few years of bad Karma and poor decisions from the last group of people in charge of Disney parks.

Now if only Jay could take a very long vacation

So for now all i can say is that the projects for Disneyland park are coming together and they show that Management is allowing Tony Baxter and the WDI team to be very creative

Well, there are actually two managements that we’re talking about here. The WDI management, which has indeed given Baxter some much-deserved freedom, though not the level that he has earned, and then there’s the Disneyland management, which holds the purse strings and controls everything that goes into that park. Of course, there’s also Marketing, which seems to run over everyone.

Anyway, as I understand it, the work that had been focused on Tomorrowland over the past year or so has been shelved. Throughout the company, with the recent economic meltdown, even the small projects that are being developed are struggling to get budgets. Only a few projects with previously green-lit budgets appear to be moving ahead unhindered (at least for the moment).

So, in spite of all the apprehension, I don’t see any real move on improving Tomorrowland any time soon. Someone in another post speculated that it wouldn’t happen until after the DCA enhancements. That may well be true.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Tony Baxter has been dropping hints for some time about BIG changes coming along. During the Nemo process, during the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough stuff, etc. Whatever is coming is being kept very VERY tightly under wraps. I know several people on here have visited WDI and have seen things, and I'm glad that they are keeping mum on it as well and allowing WDI to develop, perfect and announce when they are ready. As badly as I want to know... I want it to be a total and complete surprise.

While anticipation is exhilarating, don’t hold your breath too long. As much as Baxter is probably anxious to kick off some significant Tomorrowland projects, from what I’ve heard, there doesn’t appear to be any noteworthy movement on that land. And, if there hadn’t been any when the economy was considered relatively good, I really don’t think they will be starting anything since it tanked.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Just because they have lots of money doesn't mean they have infinite money. You try running a multi-billion dollar corporation sometime. Remember, their goal is to make a profit. They can't do that if they spend without end. The current bobsleds were recently refurbished and look and feel great. They don't need to fix something that's not broken.

Well, they did “fix” IASW, which, while needing some care, wasn’t broken. Some of that sort of selective “fixing” is out of hand. Those attractions that do need work (and by that, I DON’T mean adding Disney characters) are ignored, often because of the expense of refurbishment.

If money is to be used judiciously, then it should be used in a manner that benefits the overall entertainment experience, not to cause controversy. I agree that some issues are easily deferred, like new Matterhorn vehicles, but that doesn’t negate the need to seriously reinvest in the company’s assets as needed..

So, yes, the company cannot spend recklessly, but it MUST spend sensibly.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    well by big i mean big cosmetic changes, elaborate attraction based on Wall-e, overhaul on autopia, star tours, goodbye to HISTA and double decker walkways and another BIG "E" attraction

These are part of WHOSE wish list? That level of change certainly can’t be on their existing plate. While it may have been on a list a couple of years ago, I have no doubt that it’s not on any current schedule, especially since the recent economic meltdown.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Well' considering that WDI went to war with marketing over what to call TSMM and wrapping the Mark VIIs with YOAMD ads and WDI won both those battles.

Without an emoticon, I would have to assume you were being sarcastic. Marketing has become more and more powerful, constantly trying to direct everything from when attractions will open (DL Castle Walk Thru) to actually trying to manipulate concepts and designs (IASW). Their increased pressure to turn Disneyland into their marketing canvas just weakens the integrity of the park’s entertainment value.
    That being said, Baxter appears to do what he can about preventing unwarranted interference from outside interference. If only the various managements (WDI, corporate and Disneyland) would support his efforts, many of the negative issued that have come up wouldn’t have happened.

Marketing’s current pressure to open the Castle walk thru to meet their promotional schedule is a prime example. What would they have done if certain passionate Imagineers hadn’t had the persistence and ingenuity to actually come up with a way to reopen that hidden gem? Marketing’s mission is (should be) to inform the public about Disney’s new experiences, NOT control their development and schedule.

• Minion

I wonder if Baloo could shed anylight on any of this.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Well, they did “fix” IASW, which, while needing some care, wasn’t broken. Some of that sort of selective “fixing” is out of hand. Those attractions that do need work (and by that, I DON’T mean adding Disney characters) are ignored, often because of the expense of refurbishment.

If money is to be used judiciously, then it should be used in a manner that benefits the overall entertainment experience, not to cause controversy. I agree that some issues are easily deferred, like new Matterhorn vehicles, but that doesn’t negate the need to seriously reinvest in the company’s assets as needed..

So, yes, the company cannot spend recklessly, but it MUST spend sensibly.
    Investing in the parks is not reckless, even if they spend a ton of money. Pouring lots of money to make Disneyland even better sure sounds sensible to me. The company does have lots of money. I say spend it, invest in your assets, and everyone will benefit. The Pressler days are long gone (thank god).

These are part of WHOSE wish list? That level of change certainly can’t be on their existing plate. While it may have been on a list a couple of years ago, I have no doubt that it’s not on any current schedule, especially since the recent economic meltdown.
    it went passed a wish list, it was and still is in full scale development. Yes full budgets have not been approved and most likely the project will not happen as soon as they wanted but like i mentioned earlier a similiar project is still progressing for Tokyo Disneyland. That project will help offset some of the cost of the project for Anaheim when the time comes for this park to receive its proposed changes.

the economic problems have basically stalled some of the bigger budgetted projects, they have not been cancelled permanently

Without an emoticon, I would have to assume you were being sarcastic. Marketing has become more and more powerful, constantly trying to direct everything from when attractions will open (DL Castle Walk Thru) to actually trying to manipulate concepts and designs (IASW). Their increased pressure to turn Disneyland into their marketing canvas just weakens the integrity of the park’s entertainment value.
    That being said, Baxter appears to do what he can about preventing unwarranted interference from outside interference. If only the various managements (WDI, corporate and Disneyland) would support his efforts, many of the negative issued that have come up wouldn’t have happened.

Marketing’s current pressure to open the Castle walk thru to meet their promotional schedule is a prime example. What would they have done if certain passionate Imagineers hadn’t had the persistence and ingenuity to actually come up with a way to reopen that hidden gem? Marketing’s mission is (should be) to inform the public about Disney’s new experiences, NOT control their development and schedule.

you do realize that the main reason the castle walkthru is actually being revived is due to both marketing and the Disney buena vista home video division. They were the ones that aproached WDI looking for anything that could be integrated into the special features for the DVD release.

As soon as it was brought up that Disneyland used to have an walk thru attraction the interest grew. The interest in incorporating a revival of the attraction with the release of the DVD help push the budget needed to allow Tony and team to revive the attraction.

Yes marketing does overstep its boundaries more often then it should but when Managment, WDI and marketing work together it could really benefit the parks.

Just look at the most recent elaborate character meet and greet addition to Disneyland. That pixie meet and greet that was worked on in conjunction with WDI and marketing became a huge hit from day one.

Also what is even more interesting is that marketing has generally had more influence over WDW resort than the Disneyland resort. Not until recently with the integration of "Disney Parks" has it become more evident at the Disneyland resort.
    Last edited by Baloo; 11-20-2008 at 12:33 AM.

• Member of Baxter's Army

I was not being sarcastic and I think WDI should have more say over the park that is rightfuly theirs.

• Minion

Thank you Baloo for your insight.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I was not being sarcastic and I think WDI should have more say over the park that is rightfuly theirs.
    What the heck? WDI is part of the Walt Disney Company which ultimately owns Disneyland. End of story.

• Senior Minion

Walt said, Disneyland is your land. I admire WDI, and it's a dream of mine to work there, but Disneyland belongs to all of us, not to WDI.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
  2. 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
  3. 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM
  4. 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
  5. 07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
  6. 06-26-2009, 01:06 PM
  7. 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM
  8. 04-22-2009, 07:39 PM
  9. 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
  10. 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM