Page 35 of 201 FirstFirst ... 102532333435363738456085135 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 525 of 3011
  1. #511

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    Everything in DCA feels like the people working on it thought it was being done in the wrong way, being supported by an insufficient budget and going to fail, and they turned that into a self fufilling prophecy. Oh wait, it feels like that because that's exactly what happened.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  2. #512

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,507

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    Hehe right... and I just realized that we're in the DISNEYLAND thread so I'll lay off the DCA talk.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  3. #513

    • I'm not really here
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Too Far From Disneyland
    Posts
    11,241

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Hehe right... and I just realized that we're in the DISNEYLAND thread so I'll lay off the DCA talk.
    It was a relevant and very well stated comparison though. Disneyland feels so effortless because of the HUGE amount of energy and creativity that was put into it. And it really shows when less than that amount is expended on a new attraction.

    Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

  4. #514

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,580

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I so agree. I've said this so many times it probably makes people sick, marketing has no business making creative decisions. They should take what the financial department has paid for and the creative people have made and then find a way to market it that makes it popular.

    Marketing has nothing to do with making it popular. That’s generally the result of outstanding creative design and production. Marketing’s job is just to let people know that there is something worthwhile available for them to see.

  5. #515

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Marketing has nothing to do with making it popular. That’s generally the result of outstanding creative design and production. Marketing’s job is just to let people know that there is something worthwhile available for them to see.
    I'm no lover of what marketing has done, but what you're saying is not marketing, that's advertising. Marketing absolutely should have a role in the creation of the product and does indeed have a role in making it popular as well as in the actual decision about what to build. Just not a veto or financial control. Every department should be intimately involved, give their information and ideas to WDI and then allow the designers to prioritize all the factors and derive the best solution.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  6. #516

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,580

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'm no lover of what marketing has done, but what you're saying is not marketing, that's advertising. Marketing absolutely should have a role in the creation of the product and does indeed have a role in making it popular as well as in the actual decision about what to build. Just not a veto or financial control. Every department should be intimately involved, give their information and ideas to WDI and then allow the designers to prioritize all the factors and derive the best solution.

    Generally, marketing should have absolutely NO input into the creative aspects of a project. Outside of providing the window when it would be optimal for their promotional efforts (holidays, summer, etc.), there is little that they have to offer the the process. So they are certainly involved in relation to their responsibilities.

    In the case of the Castle Walk-Thru, they wanted the attraction to open before it was actually possible. Yes, Imagineering COULD have opened it on the 21st, but then it would have been a poorer experience. To do it right, Imagineering just had to put marketing off. They appeared to bend a bit, allowing the Castle to open the following week, but Imagineering just CANNOT be forced to submit to marketing whims if it results in a weaker attraction.

    Now, as far as marketing the Castle Walk-Thru, WHERE'S MARKETING NOW? I haven't heard ANYTHING about the reopening of the attraction. This is certainly more significant than the reopening of Small World after a short rehab. If the Castle's official reopening is tomorrow as rumored, you would expect there to be some promotion, OTHER THAN HERE.

  7. #517

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Generally, marketing should have absolutely NO input into the creative aspects of a project. Outside of providing the window when it would be optimal for their promotional efforts (holidays, summer, etc.), there is little that they have to offer the the process. So they are certainly involved in relation to their responsibilities.

    In the case of the Castle Walk-Thru, they wanted the attraction to open before it was actually possible. Yes, Imagineering COULD have opened it on the 21st, but then it would have been a poorer experience. To do it right, Imagineering just had to put marketing off. They appeared to bend a bit, allowing the Castle to open the following week, but Imagineering just CANNOT be forced to submit to marketing whims if it results in a weaker attraction.

    Now, as far as marketing the Castle Walk-Thru, WHERE'S MARKETING NOW? I haven't heard ANYTHING about the reopening of the attraction. This is certainly more significant than the reopening of Small World after a short rehab. If the Castle's official reopening is tomorrow as rumored, you would expect there to be some promotion, OTHER THAN HERE.
    In some senses we agree. I agree that marketing should not be making creative decisions. But that does not mean that they should not have a role in the design process. They should be informing WDI and about important things, like what the competition is doing, what's popular and marketable, and giving recommendations, that is their area of expertise.

    However, in the end, as I said before, it is the designer, WDI, who must take all the input, from many sources, and actually take the concerns from every department and decide what should be done. That means WDI must respond to marketing's input, but the must also respond to everything from park operations people, to managers, to Entertianment and every dept in between, and of course most importantly to the customer. In doing this the must decide how to build the best park, and to make everyone who is going to be there get what they need out of the environment.

    I also agree that it's rediculous for marketing to expect to be able to dictate a complex construction schedule, when they had a relatively last minute idea. These things take time and I completely agree that WDI must dictate when an attraction can open and it shouldn't be opened until they say it is ready.

    Last, marketing has very little to do with what you're complaining about. The responcibility to get out the word now about the new attraction is in the hands of TDA's advertising department. That's what I'm saying, you're confusing marketing with advertising.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  8. #518

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,971
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    I think is Disney was smart they'd out there Disneyland Podcast (which is free on I-tunes) on the Disney channel. It would be a good way to advertise whats going on in the park from IASW to the castle.

  9. #519

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    I just went back to page one of this thread, and, frankly, the list of DL projects is as threadbare as mother hubbard's cupboard. We have some repaving projects (necessary but highly unexciting), some new restaurants and some minor corners of the park being refurbished. HISTA may be shuttered soon with no clue as to what will replace it -- and when. Worst of all, the ONLY major new ride planned, Star Tours 2, is now on hold.

    There are three current threads about the dearth of new projects for WDW, but DL also seems to be getting very little new for the next 3-4 years or longer. Is the Castle walk through going to be the most exciting new thing for years? DCA is getting over a billion bucks in new projects cuz it badly needs it. Fine. But where's the love for the older parks?

    EDIT: I also want to point out that the last new DL E-Ticket was Indy, freakin' 13 years ago (unless you count Finding Nemo Subs, which most wouldn't). At least WDW has gotten new E-Tickets during that span (Everest, Mission: Space). So DL badly needs a Star Tours 2 to create that level of excitement.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 12-05-2008 at 01:27 AM.

  10. #520

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,971
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    ^yeah I've said that before and its been even longer since DL got a roller coaster.
    To be Honest one of the coolest things Disney could do is promise in 2013 that they will add a few new dark rides to Fantasyland and a roller coaster. A nightmare ride, a beauty and the beast ride, and some short of coaster would be some great attractions to the park.

  11. #521

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Beverly Hills Ca
    Posts
    272

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    I see what Disney121 is saying, it would be nice to a E-Ticket, however we really dont know whats going on at TDA, HISTA and People Mover are things that are being talked about right now. Sure, they not Indy type rides but its something new and different.

  12. #522

    • or CBF
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Escondido, California, United States
    Posts
    1,926

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    I think that they should fix before they add.

    Meaning, they should fix HISTA, the PeopleMover, etc., stuff that doesn't work in the parks first before moving on to bigger things.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR



    Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

  13. #523

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    I hope to never see a bare-bones coaster in Disneyland.

    Ever.

    Where would the coaster go anyway? I think the coaster count at DL is sufficient enough and the park barely has room to expand as it is. A rollercoaster would be best suited for DCA, perhaps an indoor coaster somewhere in HPB, but not Rock'n Rollercoaster. Nightmare could fit in Fantasyland, but I'd like to see a dark ride based on Aladdin before Nightmare.

  14. #524

    • is too darn hot.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    It's all about the LBC, yo!
    Posts
    14,850

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    I hope to never see a bare-bones coaster in Disneyland.

    Ever.

    Where would the coaster go anyway? I think the coaster count at DL is sufficient enough and the park barely has room to expand as it is. A rollercoaster would be best suited for DCA, perhaps an indoor coaster somewhere in HPB, but not Rock'n Rollercoaster. Nightmare could fit in Fantasyland, but I'd like to see a dark ride based on Aladdin before Nightmare.
    What about Gadget's Go Coaster?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

    On Track for Weight Loss!


  15. #525

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

    I totally see where you guys are coming from, but the reality is TDA looks at it as a resort as a whole now. From that perspective in the last ten years we've gotten a whole new park with about half a dozen E-tickets, including coasters and soon a huge dark ride and a test track type thrill ride. Yeah, it'd be nice if something bigger was coming to DL soon, but I'm pretty sure that some big things will be coming to TL eventually.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
  2. 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
  3. 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM
  4. 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
  5. 07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
  6. 06-26-2009, 01:06 PM
  7. 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM
  8. 04-22-2009, 07:39 PM
  9. 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
  10. 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
  11. 03-04-2009, 09:20 AM
  12. 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM
  13. 01-19-2009, 10:10 AM
  14. 01-06-2009, 09:16 AM
  15. 10-21-2008, 06:37 PM
  16. 10-21-2008, 12:06 AM
  17. 10-02-2008, 02:07 PM
  18. 10-01-2008, 09:00 PM
  19. 09-01-2008, 12:50 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •