Page 59 of 201 FirstFirst ... 93449565758596061626984109159 ... LastLast

• The line's too long...

Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

Marketing in general is highly overrated and most companies waste too much money on it. The parks sell themselves and the marketing and advertising campaigns for the parks are wasteful when they should be kept to a minimum, and the money redirected to those other things you mention like maintenance, imagineering, CM pay, etc. Does anyone really think dressing up Roger Federer as King Arthur and having Annie Leibowitz take the shot brought in many new guests to the parks? C'mon, that was a colossal waste of money.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

What is the store right buy the Gumbo stand?

(just curious)

• We set sail for the sky

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    Marketing in general is highly overrated and most companies waste too much money on it. The parks sell themselves and the marketing and advertising campaigns for the parks are wasteful when they should be kept to a minimum, and the money redirected to those other things you mention like maintenance, imagineering, CM pay, etc. Does anyone really think dressing up Roger Federer as King Arthur and having Annie Leibowitz take the shot brought in many new guests to the parks? C'mon, that was a colossal waste of money.
    I totally agree. I think Disneyland's marketing campaigns should be subtle, because they really don't need to be as in your face as the WWYC thing. All of the in-the-park decorations are completely unnecessary and I think that they detract from the experience. I am able to go to Disneyland about once a year and just once I would like to see the Disneyland that isn't all mucked up with tacky decorations (i.e. the Harbor Blvd sign, the constantly changing Mickey floral at the entrance (although admittedly this is sometimes a welcome change if done right), and all of the decorations on the main street lamp posts.) Disneyland is unique and strong enough to stand on its own. Simple advertisements like "Disneyland, where dreams come true" are just as effective and much more classy than "It's the year of a million dreams! Come to Disneyland" or "What will you celebrate? Come to Disneyland!"

I was in Disneyland just a few weeks ago and every time I entered the park I walked under that Harbor Blvd sign and nearly every time I heard someone comment on how awful it looked. They should just build a simple, large Disneyland sign with a nice fountain or something and leave it alone.

• Captain Pineapple

^== I agree. Even if they promote a marketing campaign, do they REALLY need to decorate the park for it? I mean there are billboards on every freeway, there's commercials everywhere.. why can't that JUST be it. Everyone knew you could get in for free, that's why those 600,000+ people signed up... How many of them do you think saw the ad in the park? Probably the smallest percentage. (And that was prior to the decor added to the park for no reason.

Bah, oh well. If only we had a say....

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Que?! View Post

Bah, oh well. If only we had a say....
    You'd run the place right out of business.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I will agree the year of a million dreams did not need decorations in the parks. However I feel the what will you celebrate is a perfect reason to have some small decorations on mainstreet like they are currently doing.

• Captain Pineapple

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Haha Most likely.

• The line's too long...

Looking at the state of the economy and how the stock is tanking, we may not do much worse...

• Banned User

Absolutely.

Really, do you not think that getting in free on your birthday is not going to get guest into the park?

• DCA FTW!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or asked. But I noticed that Fantasmic is back on the 20th. Is this gonna be the latest version of it with the larger dragon and jet skiers?
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

The people on these boards are NOT who they are marketing to. We do that ourselves.

Marketing dollars are necessary. The average family may not think about going to DL unless they see ads.
    The Mur

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    The people on these boards are NOT who they are marketing to. We do that ourselves.

Marketing dollars are necessary. The average family may not think about going to DL unless they see ads.

True.

Marketing is trying to stir up everyone's emotions and get them to feel like dreams really do come true at Disneyland.

In truth, they do.

For a price.

• Senior Minion

^Exactly
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

It all comes down to out of site, out of mind. Of course in some senses the park markets itself, but for most people even if they like the park they may not come just because they didn't give it a thought, but if you show them an ad then they're much more likely to think, hey I haven't been to DL in a while, I should really plan a trip sometime soon. Then they forget again and see a few more ads and then finally actually take action and go to the park. That's why marketing is critical. You can debate the effectiveness or the aesthetics of the marketing that Disney does till the cows come home, but the idea that they don't need marketing is just silly.
    -Walt Disney

• Member of Baxter's Army

It all comes down to out of site, out of mind. Of course in some senses the park markets itself, but for most people even if they like the park they may not come just because they didn't give it a thought, but if you show them an ad then they're much more likely to think, hey I haven't been to DL in a while, I should really plan a trip sometime soon. Then they forget again and see a few more ads and then finally actually take action and go to the park. That's why marketing is critical. You can debate the effectiveness or the aesthetics of the marketing that Disney does till the cows come home, but the idea that they don't need marketing is just silly.
    Of course they need marketing but the recent trend of tacky in-park decorations and celebrations for nothing is unhealthy for the park in the long run.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
  2. 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
  3. 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM
  4. 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
  5. 07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
  6. 06-26-2009, 01:06 PM
  7. 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM
  8. 04-22-2009, 07:39 PM
  9. 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
  10. 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
  11. 03-04-2009, 09:20 AM