Page 6 of 201 FirstFirst ... 3456789163156106 ... LastLast

Sonoma County, Ca. but born in Whittier, Ca.

Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I've seen the term "slurry" used several times on these boards recently to refer to concrete or asphalt paving. I always thought slurry was a thick liquid mixture that became concrete/asphalt after it dried. I've looked it up in dictionaries and wikipedia and it's always described as being in liquid form.

Is slurry the correct term for the non-themed paving material at Disneyland?

You know Mojave, I was thinking the same thing so I asked my Dad who worked in construction for a while and this is how he explained it:
    "Slurry" is a special mix. You would lay your main component of concrete or asphalt which would probably not have a "decorative" look to it and wouldn't fit in with Disney asthetic, i.e. rough, unattractive surface. You would then lay over the liquid "slurry" which acts as kind of a glaze for the surface, making it smoother and more decorative.
    I'm not saying he's absolutely right...I'm sure there's someone on here who can confirm/deny this explanation. It sounded good to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Yeah, supposedly their going to change the way the line works and the locatin of some things to make it operate more efficiently. I also think the plan is for the menu to remain the same.
    I also wish they would institute a policy to prevent table saving. I ate at FM Friday evening (had the Salmon which was really good) and over half the tables were filled with folks saving them while the rest of their party was in line. As a result, folks who did have food had a difficult time finding seating. The stupid part was that I finished my entire meal (including dessert) in less time than the majority of the folks saving tables had their party join them. It seems that prohibiting table saving would make the restaurant flow much better overall.

• Hall Of Promise

Quote Originally Posted by anziodogface View Post
    You know Mojave, I was thinking the same thing so I asked my Dad who worked in construction for a while and this is how he explained it:
    "Slurry" is a special mix. You would lay your main component of concrete or asphalt which would probably not have a "decorative" look to it and wouldn't fit in with Disney asthetic, i.e. rough, unattractive surface. You would then lay over the liquid "slurry" which acts as kind of a glaze for the surface, making it smoother and more decorative.
    I'm not saying he's absolutely right...I'm sure there's someone on here who can confirm/deny this explanation. It sounded good to me though.
    You are going in the correct direction. Slurry is the liquid pre-cured form. It is usually a water based technique of forming a foundation or surface, such as a pathway, and in this case a very smooth walking surface. The most common additive to the water is a very fine cement, which is the premix ingredient that cures the mixed liquid. Other additives may be clay that will harden as it cures or dries, depending on the clay and other additives.

Now the term slurry is the pre-cured term.The slurry will cure into a very smooth concrete. You may have this very smooth surfacing in your garage or carport. They also use it in outdoor storage rooms and gas stations, and areas where they need very level or smooth surfaces.

So yes, slurry is the correct term in describing the kind of walking surface. It isn't slurry anymore once it cures, just like other pathways are not cement after they have cured, but the technique describes the kind of concrete or surface.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicWDI View Post
    You are going in the correct direction. Slurry is the liquid pre-cured form. It is usually a water based technique of forming a foundation or surface, such as a pathway, and in this case a very smooth walking surface. The most common additive to the water is a very fine cement, which is the premix ingredient that cures the mixed liquid. Other additives may be clay that will harden as it cures or dries, depending on the clay and other additives.

Now the term slurry is the pre-cured term.The slurry will cure into a very smooth concrete. You may have this very smooth surfacing in your garage or carport. They also use it in outdoor storage rooms and gas stations, and areas where they need very level or smooth surfaces.

So yes, slurry is the correct term in describing the kind of walking surface. It isn't slurry anymore once it cures, just like other pathways are not cement after they have cured, but the technique describes the kind of concrete or surface.
    Thanks anziodogface and MagicWDI for the explanations.

So, can slurry be used to refer to any surface where a pre-cured liquid hardens into a surface or is it only specifically for smooth surfaces? For instance, can you use slurry to refer to asphalt, which I believe is always rough?

• Hall Of Promise

Thanks anziodogface and MagicWDI for the explanations.

So, can slurry be used to refer to any surface where a pre-cured liquid hardens into a surface or is it only specifically for smooth surfaces? For instance, can you use slurry to refer to asphalt, which I believe is always rough?
    Not necessarily. Asphalt is a petroleum-like based material usually mixed with gravel that is usually laid in a semisolid. Asphalt can be used from paving to waterproofing roofs due to its thick and binding nature. It is neither poured in a loose liquid state like slurry nor does it contain the same additives, like cement, so it can't really but compared to slurry other than the two being used in creating surfaces.

Asphalt is also different in the way it sets. Asphalt is heated to loosen the components, laid under pressure, then cooled to harden. You can drive over freshly paved asphalt within hours of it cooling. Cement mixtures usually require 24 hours of curing before light use, like for a sidewalk, and a few days for heavy usage, like for a driveway. The cement based concrete will continue to cure over its lifetime getting stronger but yet harder, and thus very brittle. Re-bar is used to strengthen its lateral load capabilities, for concrete can become very brittle over its lifetime and crack. Tension bars will be used in extremely heavy loads, like in over-crossing roadways. Asphalt can not be used in these cases due to its bendy components.

I am sure someone can come in a clarify my spotty information and add more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicWDI View Post
    Not necessarily. Asphalt is a petroleum-like based material usually mixed with gravel that is usually laid in a semisolid. Asphalt can be used from paving to waterproofing roofs due to its thick and binding nature. It is neither poured in a loose liquid state like slurry nor does it contain the same additives, like cement, so it can't really but compared to slurry other than the two being used in creating surfaces.

Asphalt is also different in the way it sets. Asphalt is heated to loosen the components, laid under pressure, then cooled to harden. You can drive over freshly paved asphalt within hours of it cooling. Cement mixtures usually require 24 hours of curing before light use, like for a sidewalk, and a few days for heavy usage, like for a driveway. The cement based concrete will continue to cure over its lifetime getting stronger but yet harder, and thus very brittle. Re-bar is used to strengthen its lateral load capabilities, for concrete can become very brittle over its lifetime and crack. Tension bars will be used in extremely heavy loads, like in over-crossing roadways. Asphalt can not be used in these cases due to its bendy components.

I am sure someone can come in a clarify my spotty information and add more detail.
    Excellent info. I suppose I could have looked this up on wikipedia, etc. but it's great to have a summary. Thanks! I remember reading that the cement, at least in the base or internally, at Hoover dam, is still cooling and strengthening!

Bottom line: other than parking lots, stones, brick and other specialty surfaces, it's safe to refer to all the ground surfaces at Disneyland by the term 'slurry, right'? I'm going to look at Disneyland's grounds in a whole new way now!
    Last edited by Mojave; 08-18-2008 at 07:42 PM.

• Hall Of Promise

Excellent info. I supposed I could have looked this up on wikipedia, etc. but it's great to have a summary. Thanks! I remember reading that the cement, at least in the base or internally, at Hoover dam, is still cooling and strengthening!

Bottom line: other than parking lots, stones, brick and other specialty surfaces, it's safe to refer to all the ground surfaces at Disneyland by the term 'slurry, right'? I'm going to look at Disneyland's grounds in a whole new way now!
    Pretty much, but they are fading. Virtually all old surfaces in Disneyland are slurry mixes other than Main Street, which I believe is a typical concrete road surface with a larger mix of gravel.

• Lego Peoplemover Priit

Cool Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

Nice, it is just as useful as the DCA one.

But, I have one question. Has Disney released any concept art for the Pixie Hollow?

Thanks!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    Has Disney released any concept art for the Pixie Hollow?
    Not as far as I know.

• Lego Peoplemover Priit

Cool Re: Disneyland Project Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    Not as far as I know.
    Thanks anyway.

• Senior Minion

Mojave,

It's only correct to refer to surfaces that are slurry as slurry. As MagicWDI pointed out, most of the old smooth concrete finishes at DL are slurries, but technically, every ground surface material has its own name which should be used. Slurry broadly can refer to any cement based mixture in its liquid form, while in DL it refers more specifically to the surfaces made by the process of adding pigment to the surface layer to create the smooth colored look of the concrete. It’s pretty much like fresco paintings. Surfaces of traditionally finished concrete would not typically be refered to as slurry, but rather with the type of finish such as broom finished or patterned. Additionally, there are other ways to treat the surface of concrete which include epoxies and other finishing materials.

In regard to asphalt, again Magic has laid it out correctly, the only thing I’d add is that the technical name is asphaltic concrete paving. Also, another technical note, just to clarify, concrete and cement are not the same thing and are not interchangeable. Portland cement is the active ingredient in concrete and most forms of plaster, grout, and other similar materials. Concrete is a mixture of Portland cement, aggregate (Sand and gravel), and water and is a structural material, which means it is capable of carrying loads, while AC paving and most other cement based materials are not.

Now, the only aspect of what Magic said that wasn’t exactly right was in regard to concrete structurally. Concrete does continue to cure forever (and interestingly will actually get stronger under water than above ground.) The problem is that concrete has virtually no strength in tension (being pulled on), and the way concrete works structurally is that the concrete itself is only designed to take compressive loads, while the steel resists the tension. It’s not that steel is only used for lateral forces; it’s required to make any concrete a structural system, even to resist gravity forces. The only way you could span anything with concrete without steel would be to use it in a pure arch or vault, though in reality you would never do that, as it would fail in an earthquake pretty easily. The way concrete beams and slabs work is that the steel is all toward the bottom, where the tensile bending forces are maximized and that the concrete itself can take the compressive loading near the top. (This is a little tricky to picture, but imagine a stick with a heavy weight in the middle. As the stick bends, the top edge gets pushed together and the bottom edge gets stretched out. This is exactly how a concrete and steel structure works.)

Anyway, I hope that gives you a little more understanding, since you seem to be interested.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    But they won't because it has significant historical value to it. If any dark ride is going to be replaced, it will be Pinocchio, because it opened in 1983 & isn't one of the 1950's classics.
    What was there before Pinocchio? Just wondering.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by brandond6 View Post
    What was there before Pinocchio? Just wondering.

Mickey Mouse Club and the old Fantasyland Theater.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

well...technically....none of the FL rides are Original...the concepts...yes...but a lot of the rides have been changed from their original forms and updated during the 80's

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Hilsbro View Post
    well...technically....none of the FL rides are Original...the concepts...yes...but a lot of the rides especially Snow White have been changed from their original forms and updated during the 80's
    Yes, but except for the addition of the main characters themselves, the rides are pretty much the same as they were in the 50s (of course with the exception of the exterior).

Page 6 of 201 FirstFirst ... 3456789163156106 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
  2. 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
  3. 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM
  4. 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
  5. 07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
  6. 06-26-2009, 01:06 PM
  7. 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM
  8. 04-22-2009, 07:39 PM
  9. 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
  10. 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM