• "I Break Things"

Merlin's Magic Shop

Someone mentioned this briefly and as much as I wanted to pass it up, I couldn't. Of course part of it may be the fact that I recently found Sword in the Stone. Or to be more precise my Mom found it, in a dusty old box in the garage. Have no fear, that masterpiece has found a second life in the hearts of my own children. It was always one of my favorites, now it is one of theirs' as well.

For those who do not know my favorite animated character is Archimedes. I've always loved him, and I am constantly annoyed by an almost complete lack of merchandise for him. Here is a thought that would probably remedy that.

As I said one of the other MC posters had briefly mentioned this by name, now I will pitch it as a full concept. Fantasyland could use a good bookstore. The obvious choice would likely be themed to Belle... but I have another shop in mind for her. Merlin, the famous tutor of King Arthur, is possibly the best choice. But to really set this apart, make it a Magic shop... but not in the sense that people think. I would hope to recreate portions of Merlins old home, as well as the tower. Fill every nook and cranny with some of the most amazing books, and models. In fact they could even sell some books, themed of course, as well as various models. Merlin LOVED models, and you see several in the movie. A major part of the attraction would be a corner set aside with a comfy chair, and a simple sign on it saying "reserved". At the appointed hour Merlin would appear, and the magic would truely begin.

With a combination of new technology and old trickery, the entire shop would come to life. Merlin would tell a story, and point to various items in the room... asking for their attention etc... and they in turn would interact. Best of all , on the wall, would be a very recognizable birdhouse. With a couple taps of his staff, the door would open, and a grouchy Archimedes would appear! Aladdin has proven to me how useful, and clever, hand puppets can be. It would take minimal effort to make a believable Archimedes, considering all they need is the head, shoulders, and bit of a wing at most (as he reaches continually to close his door). It could also be an AA but an AA would have a limited dialogue, where the puppet would be at the whim of it's master.

If done properly it would bring a renewed interest into one of my favorite classics. It would bring Archimedes into the park, and likely cause an even larger crowd as Merlin then rushes out of the shop to do his commencement ceremony!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Re: Merlin's Magic Shop

It sounds like a cool idea, I think it would have capacity issues though. Where do you think it would/should go?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Actually, this could work really well in my third gate idea.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Mrs. J. Depp

Aw The Sword in the Stone Higgitus Figgitus Miggitus Mum Prestidigitonium! (sp)
    Do you have that song stuck in your head yet?

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Aw The Sword in the Stone Higgitus Figgitus Miggitus Mum Prestidigitonium! (sp)
    Do you have that song stuck in your head yet?
    I pitched it some time ago... a Dark ride... centered on the magic scenes; packing, kitchen, and Wizard's Duel primarily! But I think a shop would work a great deal better then a dark ride. Merlin lends himself easily as a character for both shop and show as can already be seen by the popularity of the sword ceremony, and the Princess Storytime!

• Pirate for life

The idea of the shop is fantastic. It would be nice to see a new magic shop in DL since the old has really gone to...well..you know

As you already know, I love your idea. I'm starting to memorize lines from this movie now that's how much the kids love it. I love Merlin and Archemedes and the funny relationship they have.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkmomma View Post
    As you already know, I love your idea. I'm starting to memorize lines from this movie now that's how much the kids love it. I love Merlin and Archemedes and the funny relationship they have.
    For me one of the great joys of being a parent is watching my kids enjoy the same Disney Classics that I watched as a child. This shop would be a way to bring yet another classic to life.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

This is a great idea! Storytime would be something for guests of all ages to enjoy.... now how do we get the ball rolling for a place life this??
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Part of Your World

I'd enjoy that.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    make it a Magic shop... but not in the sense that people think. I would hope to recreate portions of Merlins old home, as well as the tower. Fill every nook and cranny with some of the most amazing books, and models. In fact they could even sell some books, themed of course, as well as various models. Merlin LOVED models, and you see several in the movie. A major part of the attraction would be a corner set aside with a comfy chair, and a simple sign on it saying "reserved". At the appointed hour Merlin would appear, and the magic would truely begin.

With a combination of new technology and old trickery, the entire shop would come to life. Merlin would tell a story, and point to various items in the room... asking for their attention etc... and they in turn would interact. Best of all , on the wall, would be a very recognizable birdhouse. With a couple taps of his staff, the door would open, and a grouchy Archimedes would appear! Aladdin has proven to me how useful, and clever, hand puppets can be. It would take minimal effort to make a believable Archimedes, considering all they need is the head, shoulders, and bit of a wing at most (as he reaches continually to close his door). It could also be an AA but an AA would have a limited dialogue, where the puppet would be at the whim of it's master.

If done properly it would bring a renewed interest into one of my favorite classics. It would bring Archimedes into the park, and likely cause an even larger crowd as Merlin then rushes out of the shop to do his commencement ceremony!
    This is exactly what the park needs - it is the hidden touches that make people want to keep coming back - everyone likes to feel as if they found something unique that everyone else is missing - it makes going to the park more of an adventure versus and event.

Personally, I hate how structured the park has become with the scheduled character locations, the scheduled show times, programs to maximize rides, etc., - to me it takes away from the pure enjoyment of wandering around and finding something new in a familiar location. It is pretty simple, if you want people to come back, make them feel as if they are missing something special. This would certainly be something special.

Even as advaced as society has become, magic is something that all kids enjoy, it is a timeless fantasy that every child will dream about (there is a reason harry potter was so successful). You have my vote Teckskip, this is the best idea I have ever seen posted.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post
    .... now how do we get the ball rolling for a place life this??
    Get a job in Imagineering.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

For a location I would put it in the back portion of the current Princess Shop. I will explain why in my next thread. That "corner" I spoke of will actually be the centerpiece between two stores!

Talking Re: Merlin's Magic Shop

Love Love Love it! Supercalifragilisticexpialidosious job Techskip! Who ever said that DL was missing these hidden touces you are absolutely right and I think it would be cool to see this maybe up over by the FL Skyway tower... if the room can be made. Of course I'ld also like Tinks Toy shop to be a forever staple and the villans place too! This is such an inovative idea that incorporates a classic that, once again, kids and adults alike can appreciate! It would be cute too, when Merlin is not around, too have a soft snoring coming from Archiamedes Bird house like Brer Brer's cave! (Just a thought)