• Circle of Ancients

Opening at Disneyland and DCA

Hi there! I just have a quick question about attractions in the morning, right after opening. I have an AP to DLR, but i haven't gone at opening for a few years now. What are the best rides to do first? Should you do tomorrowland and that side of the park first or Frontierland and Critter Country first? When it comes to DCA, is Soarin first thing or is Tower of Terror? My family is going for opening to closing soon and I would like to know. Thanks in Advance!
    Angels Fan, born and raised.
    Come on you Galaxy.

• Banned User

Re: Opening at Disneyland and DCA

If your going into Disneyland, best thing to do first is Nemo, Space, or Indy. For DCA, 100% Toy Story Midway Mania.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

First off, I totally disagree with going to Toy Story Mania! first thing in the morning, you end up waiting longer than in the afternoon/evening.

DCA turnstiles open at 9:30 AM, and Soarin' is usually open at 9:30 AM, so go on that first, then head over to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area and head over to Tot, and if you want to walk a lot, go on Screamin'.

But if you want to take it easy, do Monsters, Inc, Muppet Vision and the rest of the Hollywood area, then walk through Condor Flats, and pick up a Fastpass for GRR and then Screamin' (GRR is standalone), then ride the Sun Wheel and any other attractions you want to do, and head to Disneyland, and then come back in the late afternoon for Toy Story Mania! and any parades you want to see.

As for Disneyland, currently Indy is having issues, so I would go straight to Indy and get a FP, and ride it if open and not a long queue, then off to Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and an FP for Splash (and ride it if the stand by queue is short).

The check other west side attractions, such as the Mark Twain, Jungle Cruise and Big Thunder Mountain. Then head to Tomorrowland, get a Space Mountain FP if your window is open, otherwise do other Tomorrowland stuff until you can get a Space FP. Then head towards Fantasyland and Toontown.

Another NO for Nemo first thing, best time is in the late afternoon, especially during the parades or the evening.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

If you go to Disneyland, head LEFT into Adventureland. Get a FP for Indy and ride it if the wait is short enough. Then do the Jungle Crusie. After that, go to Pirates and Haunted Mansion. If you have time, go on Splash. Then go to BTMRR and then to FaNTASYLAND AND THE mATTERHORN
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Senior Minion

If I'm going to spend a full day at the park I usually try and get a Space and Indy FPs in the morning, do a couple of rides, then head to DCA. There I gather FP's for Soarin' and Tower usually (possibly Griz too), then do other rides until my DCA fastpasses come up. Like DB said, afternoon will likely be best for TSMM. Then I head back to DL for the night. Of course, you may have priorities of your own, but this will allow you to not wait in many lines all day. If you plan right, and know how to work the system, it's pretty easy to have five or six FP's in hand by mid day.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    First off, I totally disagree with going to Toy Story Mania! first thing in the morning, you end up waiting longer than in the afternoon/evening.
    Actually, if you get to DCA at turnstile opening (9:30am) & head straight to the TSMM queue, you'll get on with a 20 minute wait, max.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Another NO for Nemo first thing, best time is in the late afternoon, especially during the parades or the evening.
    Again, on a non Magic Morning day, head to Nemo first & you'll have about a 30 minute wait.

• Animation Domination

I agree with going on Indy, Splash and Space first but also another ride that gets really packed is Peter Pan's Flight I would go on that at either the first or second hour after the park opens.

At DCA I would go on either Screaming or Soaring first.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I would suggest Space Mountain or Indy first in the morning. Nemo can be done immediately after the fireworks with about a 20 minute wait. It's how I rode it for the first time last summer, when it was still super new.

Enjoy your trip!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    Actually, if you get to DCA at turnstile opening (9:30am) & head straight to the TSMM queue, you'll get on with a 20 minute wait, max.

So a 50 minute wait, but I bet you are in line at the turnstiles prior to 9:30, so maybe closer to an hour wait for Toy Story Mania!

The afternoon waits have been closer to 30 minutes for TSM!.

But if I walk into DCA around 9:35 AM, I can go ride Soarin', and then hit ToT and be done with BOTH prior to you getting off Toy Story Mania!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Circle of Ancients

So it sounds like Soarin is the hot ticket first at DCA and the left side of the park is good for DL. Thanks everyone!
    Angels Fan, born and raised.
    Come on you Galaxy.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I just went at opening yesterday. Got there on a magical morning so had to wait at the gates for them to open at 8. Went to Big Thunder first and walked on. After I got off they were giving away dream ears on the trail. Walked over and had a short wait for Peter Pan. Went over to New Orleans area and saw no one at Haunted Mansion. Walked right in. Came back to Indy and got a Fast Pass and then walked on Jungle Cruise. Went over to DCA and got in a little after 10. Went straight to ToT and walked on. Went to TSM and used the single rider line and waited 5 minutes. Used the single rider line on Screamin and again 5 minutes. Went by Soarin, used the single rider line and wait time was 10 minutes but I got the front row. By now both parks were starting to fill up and that was the end of walking on rides until much later in the evening. I loved my day there!