Heelys Kids Race & Roll?

I found this on the the internet about a "HEELYS KIDS RACE & ROLL." The website wasn't very descriptive (and kinda confusing) about the event. Does anyone know exactly what this race is and how to register? It mentions something about an obstacle course, dose anyone know if this obstacle course is to be done while using the Heelys or if it really is just an obstacle course?

• Senior Minion

Re: Heelys Kids Race & Roll?

It does seem like part of the race will include using skates, or Heely's. I for one am somewhat disappointed that Disney is somewhat encouraging use of Heely's to begin with. I'm not saying all parents aren't responsible and make sure their children wear (and use) them when appropriate, but I have seen far too many times where kids are wearing them where they shouldn't - like at Disneyland.

I had a kid roll into my ankle which has screws in it and it was not a pleasant experience, not to mention the times I've been bumped by kids rolling around on these things.

Overall looks like an interesting event, buy I just dislike the whole Heely's tie-in and use in this race with the Disney name attached to it.

• Geoff London

I was under the impression that use of Heelys was not allowed in the park. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I know I'm going to be branded an old fuddy duddy(but I really don't care) but how any parent can allow their kids to wear these dangerous shoes is beyond me. The strain they put on the achilles tendon is unbelievable. When you have fished a young girl out from under a train (thankfully not moving) as I and another colleague did some weeks ago (I work on London Underground) when she had rolled between the platform edge and the train carriages then you can appreciate how dangerous they can be. Thankfully she was only scratched and bruised. Had the train set off I hate to think what we would have been pulling out from underneath! Or the boy that fell down the stairs whilst walking down them in these ludicrous creations. He ripped a huge gash in his forehead. The fact is they are dangerous in public places.

Also it's bad enough to be rammed with a stroller in the parks without having kids crash into you on these wretched things. But, hey, you are the parents. You know what's best for your kids.
    And Disney organising races with obstacles utilising Heelys - what lunatic thought of that idea?

ADDITION to post: I see Disney have pulled the page on that site. Maybe somebody has seen sense!
    Last edited by geoffa; 08-13-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    I was under the impression that use of Heelys was not allowed in the park.
    This topic comes up from time to time on here. To my knowledge they are not allowed in the parks, unless the policy has changed recently.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I was under the impression that use of Heelys was not allowed in the park. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I know I'm going to be branded an old fuddy duddy(but I really don't care) but how any parent can allow their kids to wear these dangerous shoes is beyond me. The strain they put on the achilles tendon is unbelievable. When you have fished a young girl out from under a train (thankfully not moving) as I did some weeks ago (I work on London Underground) when she had rolled between the platform edge and the train carriages then you can appreciate how dangerous they can be. Or the boy that felldown the stairs ripping a huge gash in his forehead. The fact is they are dangerous in public places.

It's bad enough to be rammed with a stroller in the parkswithout having kids crash into you on these wretched things. But, hey, you are the parents. You know what's best for your kids.
    And Disney organising races with obstacles utilising Heelys - what lunatic thought of that idea?
    What a fun idea.....Honestly, I have had more people run/walk into me than I have had people "heely" into me. Heely are not the problem, people not being aware of their surrounds is the problem. Those people whom are so self absorbed they don't think about those around them are the ones creating the issue. If you raise your kids to be courteous of others, I see no problems in letting kids roll around and be kids.....

Parents today have so much information it's a wonder we don't have a law requiring kids to wear helmet when engaging in any activity beyond walking...My kids cannot even play dodge ball because it is deemed to dangerous.....

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by tmh331 View Post
    What a fun idea.....Honestly, I have had more people run/walk into me than I have had people "heely" into me. Heely are not the problem, people not being aware of their surrounds is the problem. Those people whom are so self absorbed they don't think about those around them are the ones creating the issue. If you raise your kids to be courteous of others, I see no problems in letting kids roll around and be kids.....

Parents today have so much information it's a wonder we don't have a law requiring kids to wear helmet when engaging in any activity beyond walking...My kids cannot even play dodge ball because it is deemed to dangerous.....
    I acknowledge your comment about courteous kids and with that responsible parents - sadly many are not. If the child "rolling" around on the station platform had been properly supervised the accident would not have happened. It's exactly the same reason we ask people not to ride their bicycles on platforms. But do they want to listen? You're spot on about the "people not being aware of their surroundings" like those who glue ipod earphones into their heads oblivious of any safety or emergency announcements. Heaven Forbid we ever have another bomb attack.
    And talking bicycles - if a child of mine had one they would most surely be wearing protective headgear!

And thanks to techskip for the confirmation - that they are banned in the parks.
    Last edited by geoffa; 08-13-2008 at 12:51 PM.

I acknowledge your comment about courteous kids and with that responsible parents - sadly many are not. If the child "rolling" around on the station platform had been properly supervised the accident would not have happened. It's exactly the same reason we ask people not to ride their bicycles on platforms. But do they want to listen? You're spot on about the "people not being aware of their surroundings" like those who glue ipod earphones into their heads oblivious of any safety or emergency announcements. Heaven Forbid we ever have another bomb attack.
    And talking bicycles - if a child of mine had one they would most surely be wearing protective headgear!

And thanks to techskip for the confirmation - that they are banned in the parks.
    I'm okay with heelys as they are made is such a way that you can easily roll or walk (if it is crowded you walk, when it opens up you can roll) - it is not a fair comparison to make to a bike which is an obtrusive piece of equipment you cannot easily put away when you get into a crowded environment - not to mention, bikes hinder your ability to protect yourself from falling as you are wrapped around them- BTW my kids always wear their helmet when riding bikes - no exceptions!

However, I think we are both of the same opinion - people need to be responsible for themselves, and their actions, when it affects those around them.

• Geoff London

Yep!
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• On Autopilot

I remember that the only Disney Park that had a strict no tolerance of Heelys was Animal Kingdom, since the pavement there was all bumpy/uneven.

And Geoffa, I am so happy to know someone else loathes those things as much as I do.

.....since I was once a CM at Magic Kingdom who had to tell guests to take them off soon as I got into the park....

and get yelled at by parents... a_a

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Larxene1959 View Post
    I remember that the only Disney Park that had a strict no tolerance of Heelys was Animal Kingdom, since the pavement there was all bumpy/uneven.
    I know as late as 07 Disneyland Security, and CM's in general were still enforcing the "no rolling" policy. I see both sides of this story. If someone is an experienced "skater" then they would likely be fine. If they aren't then a crowded Disneyland is not the place to learn. The issue is that Disneyland can not tell the difference, and even if they could they are held liable (thanks lawyers) for any injuries on property. I don't have a pair, have never worn a pair, and have no interest in owning one. But to each their own.

• On Autopilot

Oh I LOVED the excuse "My children know how to skate!" and then they proceed to heelie during the rain and then fall flat on their backs <_< *saw this while coming out of Space Mountain*

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

The info is at the link as far as I can see --

HEELYS KIDS RACE & ROLL
    Heelys Kids' Race & Roll is a 200 meter fun, competitive race & roll. Kids show-off their skills through the combination race and obstacles course. So kids - get ready to walk, run and roll your way to victory!
    HEELYS KIDS RACE & ROLL AGE GROUPS
    • 8-14 years old - 200 meter fun, competitive race & roll
    HEELYS SAFETY GEAR
    All athletes competing in the Heelys Kids' Race & Roll event are required to wear:
    • helmet
    • wrist guards
    • knee pads
    • elbow pads

At least they are encouraging safety with the required equipment?
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

What is it with heelys that appeal to 9-12 year old kids? I never see adults riding around on those. Sure, they probably don't make adult sizes but if they did then obviously it would be popular with adults, which it isn't.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    What is it with heelys that appeal to 9-12 year old kids? I never see adults riding around on those. Sure, they probably don't make adult sizes but if they did then obviously it would be popular with adults, which it isn't.
    I believe they do make adult sizes... and I know a lot of college age kids who enjoy them... not my style but then again I know a lot of people who don't like Chuck Taylors...