Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Is there a place for new Animated Movies in Disneyland?

I was thinking about this the other day. Disneyland has a huge vault of animated movies. Some of them are all over the park, others are rarely seen if at all. Robin Hood is a great example of what I would term an "underutilized classic". But this brings about another thought. Most of the recent animated movies done by Disney have had dismal results at the box office. I think Lilo and Stitch was the last "hit" and probably Tarzan before that. But just because it isn't a hit doesn't mean it wouldn't make a decent attraction or show.

My question is, do the newer annimated features have a spot in Disneyland? Those features that bombed at the box office like Home on the Range, or Brother Bear... things like Emperor's New Groove or Spirit... there are so many characters and so many movies. At what point does Disney seperate what they deem a true classic, from what was mass produced "just because". Another comment is that Hand Drawn Animation is an antiquated technique, a dying art, but the talent and passion of the artist will always show through, something not always seen in a CGI film.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Honorary Dapper Dan

Re: Is there a place for new Annimated Movies in Disneyland?

Pretty darn sure Spirit isn't a Disney movie.

Many Disney fans have expressed wishes for a Yzma's Lair type ride, which I could see Disney Imagineers latching on to. Also, don't discount the Magic of Brother Bear in DCA. And if I'm not mistaken, Home on the Range had some kind of representation in Frontierland once upon a time. Little Patch of Heaven, anyone?

Imagineers have tied things to animated features throughout all of Disneyland's history. Some just have stuck around much longer than others. Personally I'm surprised Tarzan's Treehouse hasn't been rethemed yet.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I often speculate about this very same topic while stirring over our cauldron. We believe Disney Management has already looked for ways to spread the Disney classics around the park--for instance, a Buzz Lightyear attraction in Tomorrowland and a Winnie the Pooh attraction in Critter Country, although we personally believe that Pooh & Co fits in better at Fantasyland.

ORWEN: I think Aladdin fits into Adventureland just fine, along with The Jungle Book and The Lion King.

ORDDU: Fantasyland MIGHT have some additional land for future attractions--if they decided to use the old Fantasyland Autopia for an attraction or two. And we agree that it isn't necessary for an animated film to be a 'hit' in the theatres in order to qualify for a 'hit' attraction at the parks. The best example for this is Alice in Wonderland. Alice's attraction has become quite popular despite her box office returns.

ORWEN: That reminds me; when are we gonna' see a BLACK CAULDRON attraction? It could be a hit, too!!!

I do wonder what the Submarines would have been like if they went with the Imagineers' initial idea of theming it to Atlantis as a tie-in to the Kingdom of Atlantis movie, instead of theming it to Finding Nemo.

Just because a movie's obscure, doesn't mean it can't make a great ride. How many people who ride Splash Mountain have seen Song of the South? How many people who ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride have seen the Disney version of Wind In The Willows?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Wavy Blue View Post
    Pretty darn sure Spirit isn't a Disney movie.
    Dreamworks... sorry about that...
    Last edited by techskip; 08-13-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Someone already stated that.. Alice was pretty negatively recieved, but the attraction itself is one of the better dark rides if you ask me. As long as effort is put into the ride itself and thing Disney could make a pretty good dark ride out of any of its past animated features.

Possibly a Brother Bear ride would fit right into Critter Country.. I myself have not seen that film though.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Possibly a Brother Bear ride would fit right into Critter Country.. I myself have not seen that film though.
    More-so into Golden State I think. Somebody once told me a rumor that Golden State could possibly be renamed to Bear Country, so that is a possibility.

• A Honorary Autobot

I've got money that "The Princess and The Frog" will be showing up in NOS sometime soon. The movie takes place in early 20th Century New Orleans and focuses on some buoy magic and dark hoodoo all the while having a jazzy, Southern flare. Basically, perfect NOS stuff...

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    some buoy magic
    Please tell me you meant bayou... otherwise I am picturing a sealion with a top hat stuck on a buoy in an ocean somewhere...

The other thought is that some of them... Emperor's New Groove, Home on the Range, Brother Bear... I never even bothered watching. I think the last "new classic" I watched was Atlantis and I wasn't completely impressed by that one either. Tarzan was the last one I honestly enjoyed... Hunchback before that... Lion King before that and so on...

I would have to say that everything took a nose dive after Tarzan, and even before that Hercules wasn't a great one IMO either! But again, even if people don't identify with certain movies does that mean they should be tucked in a corner...or should they be brought out and utilized?

Home on the Range is a perfect example. I've never bothered to see it and I have heard some pretty bad reviews on it (not that those matter since I usually don't agree with reviews). Anyhow... point being is that between Pecos Bill, Casey Jones, and Home on the Range... you have enough Frontier to put something in Frontierland again!
    Last edited by techskip; 08-13-2008 at 03:12 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day. Disneyland has a huge vault of animated movies. Some of them are all over the park, others are rarely seen if at all. Robin Hood is a great example of what I would term an "underutilized classic". But this brings about another thought. Most of the recent animated movies done by Disney have had dismal results at the box office. I think Lilo and Stitch was the last "hit" and probably Tarzan before that. But just because it isn't a hit doesn't mean it wouldn't make a decent attraction or show.

My question is, do the newer annimated features have a spot in Disneyland? Those features that bombed at the box office like Home on the Range, or Brother Bear... things like Emperor's New Groove or Spirit... there are so many characters and so many movies. At what point does Disney seperate what they deem a true classic, from what was mass produced "just because". Another comment is that Hand Drawn Animation is an antiquated technique, a dying art, but the talent and passion of the artist will always show through, something not always seen in a CGI film.

I think there is a spot and it's called the Animation Building in DCA. This is where Kuzco the llama from Emperor's New Groove greeted guests. Koda and Kenai from Brother Bear are also frequently seen over on Main Street. They also have their show over in the Redwood Challenge Trail. Home on the Range has a nod over in Big Thunder Ranch in the form of a "wanted" poster for villain Alameda Slims. The ranch was also called "little patch of heaven" briefly when the movie was out.

I have a thread that lists every Disney animated movie and all the rides, stores, shows, and restaurants that were inspired by them. You can see what animated films really DON'T have any theme park love at all.

http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...6.html?t=52436

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Oo-de-lally

I was thinking about this the other day. Disneyland has a huge vault of animated movies. Some of them are all over the park, others are rarely seen if at all. Robin Hood is a great example of what I would term an "underutilized classic".
    Preach on Tech. I wish that they used Robin Hood in the park more. I have not seen that character in years. At least put the guy in a parade or add him to the Mark Twain boat at the end of Fantasmic. I also would like them to bring back Darkwing Duck. Although he was never in a Disney Feature he was still a cool character.

Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Banned User

The other thought is that some of them... Emperor's New Groove, Home on the Range, Brother Bear... I never even bothered watching. I think the last "new classic" I watched was Atlantis and I wasn't completely impressed by that one either. Tarzan was the last one I honestly enjoyed... Hunchback before that... Lion King before that and so on...
    Emperor's New Groove is the only relatively good one of the 3 you first mentioned. Atlantis & Hunchback were god awful. Tarzan was pretty good however.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    Emperor's New Groove is the only relatively good one of the 3 you first mentioned. Atlantis & Hunchback were god awful. Tarzan was pretty good however.
    My draw to Atlantis was the setting (classic England, Jules Verne style) but the story was HORRIBLE. Hunchback was fun, mainly because I love gargoyles... but Tarzan was the last one I honestly sat back and enjoyed.

• Small Worlds of Walt

When it comes the animated features that have been recently released, only those that have had a successful box office showing are the films that are considered "Theme Park Material" After all, who is going to want to pay admission to ride a new attraction based off a movie you never saw, or even worse, hated. Second, are there elements of this successful movie that could be turned into an attraction. Third, is there funding available to make this ride a reality. (see Little Mermaid for an example.)

And btw, hand-drawn animation isn't a dying art. Just forgotten.

• would love some pie

I really think that Beauty and the Beast deserves a fully blown ride long before most other animated movies. it could be absolutely stunning.
    KABLAM!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast