Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Was there any real Benefit of having the DisneyGallery converted to "Dream Suite"

Only when Mickey and Minnie got a little tail there. Those two are the definative friends -- with benefits.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Re: Was there any real Benefit of having the DisneyGallery converted to "Dream Suite"

To the winner of the "Dream Suite," it's a benefit.
    To the crappy YOAMD promotion, it was suppose to be a benefit, although I don't really think the YOAMD promotion benefited from it all that well - if at all - as it was already a poorly-conceived promotion with no real hope of it ever being successful.

(I'm sorry, it really was a bogus promotion. Ask anyone who's not a Disney nerd and I'm pretty sure that most wouldn't know what the heck you were babbling about. My family sure didn't!)

And I'm sorry, a Dream Suite I have a 99.99% chance of NOT getting when I'm at the park is not enough of an incentive for me to go to a park that keeps losing its special touches - the Disney Gallery being one of them.

It's quite ironic when I think about it. Here Disney tried to add in something (The Dream Suite) that they had hoped would bring in the customers and yet it did quite the opposite - at least for me.

Call me bitter, but I like going to Disneyland for its special places. The Disney Gallery was one of them. It was unique, interesting, had a unique history, offered wonderful views, allowed guests to relax and get away from the crowds, made New Orleans Square feel more like a city than a set of fake facades, and gave that whole area a charm that is simply now gone. And for what? To turn it into some "promotion" prize that very few will ever get to experience?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think the new Suite is gorgeous. I think it was creative and gave that whole area a new type of charm. But it wasn't worth the lost of the Disney Gallery.

My only hope is that after the promotion is over, they keep a lot of the rich furnishings they made for the suite and give us a new, updated, and even classier Disney Gallery again. (Hey, one can dream!)

But to answer your question? No, it didn't benefit the park at all. it took something special away from Disneyland (a trend that seems to be unfortunately on the rise).

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent Fan View Post
    But to answer your question? No, it didn't benefit the park at all. it took something special away from Disneyland (a trend that seems to be unfortunately on the rise).
    Yes, it took away a place to spend money. Gripe about more stores, and then when they go and take one out, there's a gripe too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent Fan
    It's quite ironic when I think about it. Here Disney tried to add in something (The Dream Suite) that they had hoped would bring in the customers and yet it did quite the opposite - at least for me.
    One person of how many millions of customers Disney has had in a year. IF this argument held up, nothing would ever go away, because they wouldn't want to lose that one customer.

For as big of a joke the YOAMD was, at least they attempted to go out of their way to make a special experience for it (even if it was only given out 266 times in 2008).
    -Monorail Man

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    For as big of a joke the YOAMD was, at least they attempted to go out of their way to make a special experience for it (even if it was only given out 266 times in 2008).
    The 50th was going out of their way to make a special experience. It was something that every single guest to enter the park could be a part of and experience, without exception. Huge efforts were put in to make things pretty and fresh looking again. Simple and easy to understand. Was truly Disney giving something to all the guests.

The YOAMD affects less than 1% of guests over the run it will have had, has involved bizarre decorations that have been rejected and taken down soon after they were put up, changing themes and confusing marketing at best. Many people turned down the dreams initially simply because they thought it was a gimmick and didn't understand what was going on. Still people don't know about the dreams as they still don't factor very prominantly into the ads.

The 50th was planned and executed by people who understand just what Disneyland is and what it means to so many people. The YOAMD was planned and executed by people with marketing and business degrees who don't quite grasp Disneyland's significance.

50th: "The Happiest Homecoming on Earth"
    Build on the theme of the happiest place on earth. Spruce up the park and make it even more inviting and welcoming, just like your parents cleaning up the house for you to come and visit. It really felt like coming home during the 50th. Like family.

YOAMD: "Where Dreams Come True"
    The dreams are chosen randomly by a computer. So few guests actually get to experience them and the majority will go to people who are in the parks frequently as they have much better odds of being in the right place a the right time repeatedly. Most of the dreams are cheap and gimmicky.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• photoshowstudio.com

Ok, I may be biased, but as a recent winner of the Dream Suite, I think it is totally worth it. Walt designed the concept of that suite and approved much of the design features before his death, so it was HIS idea. Who are we to say that HIS idea was wrong when we cherish everything else he created. If someone wants to argue the the YOMD itself was not a success, do ahead, but I think the Suite represents a quote from Walt, who said "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them". He also said "Disneyland will never be finished as long as there is imagination in the world". Us staying in the Dream Suite is a dream come true and allows you to realize that people DO dream, and wonderful things CAN happen. We told many of the Dream squad that we felt Walt would be proud of what they are doing for the average visitor to the park. Walking up and handing someone free ears, moving them to a fastpass line, or giving them a Dream Suite for a night are all part of the fantasy Walt invested his life in creating. I agree that the suite has features in it that all more than the original drawings he approved, but at the core they are pretty accurate. From the bathroom specialy designed for his wife, to the Carousel horse in the living room...it's all fantasy and for once, you feel a little touch of Walt.
    (step down) off my soapbox now.
    Preserving Your Memories on DVD

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Photoshowstudio View Post
    Walt designed the concept of that suite and approved much of the design features before his death, so it was HIS idea. Who are we to say that HIS idea was wrong when we cherish everything else he created.
    It was designed as a private suite for his family that would be bigger and nicer than the one over the firehouse (according to the Imagineering book). So the intent was never for park guests to experience it. And when you think of the 15 million guests that visit a year a infinitesimal group out of that 15 million will get to experience it. And the percentage (not number) of total park attendees who have gotten to experience it will become even smaller as years go since total attendance increases so much more quickly. This was definitely not an idea Walt espoused. His ideas always benefited everyone who came through the gates of the park, not just the randomly selected few.

Sure, no one, including me, who wins something, even a free churro, is going to gripe. But that does not make the idea behind the whole thing valid or right.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    The 50th was going out of their way to make a special experience. It was something that every single guest to enter the park could be a part of and experience, without exception. Huge efforts were put in to make things pretty and fresh looking again. Simple and easy to understand. Was truly Disney giving something to all the guests.

The YOAMD affects less than 1% of guests over the run it will have had, has involved bizarre decorations that have been rejected and taken down soon after they were put up, changing themes and confusing marketing at best. Many people turned down the dreams initially simply because they thought it was a gimmick and didn't understand what was going on. Still people don't know about the dreams as they still don't factor very prominantly into the ads.

The 50th was planned and executed by people who understand just what Disneyland is and what it means to so many people. The YOAMD was planned and executed by people with marketing and business degrees who don't quite grasp Disneyland's significance.

50th: "The Happiest Homecoming on Earth"
    Build on the theme of the happiest place on earth. Spruce up the park and make it even more inviting and welcoming, just like your parents cleaning up the house for you to come and visit. It really felt like coming home during the 50th. Like family.

YOAMD: "Where Dreams Come True"
    The dreams are chosen randomly by a computer. So few guests actually get to experience them and the majority will go to people who are in the parks frequently as they have much better odds of being in the right place a the right time repeatedly. Most of the dreams are cheap and gimmicky.
    Great post! I totally agree with you on the 50th! That is how a PROMOTION should be done.

The YOAMD not so much.

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

One person of how many millions of customers Disney has had in a year. IF this argument held up, nothing would ever go away, because they wouldn't want to lose that one customer.

I'm not saying that customers are not going to continue to go to Disneyland (I still do on occasion), but I really doubt the Dream Suite helped with its attendance numbers. My parents (who aren't as into Disney as I am [IE: the normal non-Disney nerd visitors ]) didn't even realize the Dream Suite had been created. But they were both very sad at the loss of the Disney Gallery, though, when I told them about its demise. Just like I am.

Yes, it took away a place to spend money. Gripe about more stores, and then when they go and take one out, there's a gripe too.

But The Disney Gallery was more than just a store to spend money. It was a unique place in Disneyland - a special one. Sure, you could buy things - I did buy a few things there - but it felt more than just a shopping place. It was a place to view art and to relax. It made that part of NOS all the more unique. I miss that a lot.

I'm saddened by the loss of crativity and uniqueness in ALL the stores. That's my gripe with them.

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

• =)

Brilliantly put, mycroft.

• a wind to shake the stars

They were fulfilling Walt's original dream

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    They were fulfilling Walt's original dream
    I apologize if you're being sarcastic, but if you're not, please read what mycroft posted above. Walt never intended for that space to be used by any guests. It was to be for his family only. Once that was no longer the desired use for the space, the most sensible option in terms of total guest happiness would be to make it available to all of them.

• Shenanigans.

I agree 100% that the small charming areas of Disneyland, where people can go and feel slightly removed from the hustle and bustle of the park should be preserved.

I too miss the courtyard and the fountain and just walking around that gallery. Disney should be very mindful of ensuring that these small, charming areas are not transformed into retail outlets or roped off for a small sect of the visitors.

Having said all that, at times some posters sound a little like sour grapes. I CAN'T GO IN THERE anymore and so I don't like it. Bring back MY gallery!!

I miss the place, but I'm glad that there is somewhere where people can actually SPEND THE NIGHT INSIDE DISNEYLAND. At the end of the day, I think that's what it's all about. Most of us will never win the prize, but now, we can ALL go to the park and dream about a reality that previously never was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• I'm not really here

I think that is what is fundamentally wrong with the YOAMD and more specifically with the Dream Suite.

It goes against what Walt Disney stood for. He made a place where everyone could participate and enjoy things. He wanted it to be equally accessible for all ages, races, religions, genders, etc. And then the YOAMD comes along and does the exact opposite. In 2 1/2 years park attendance will be approximately 35 million guests (assuming 14 million per year). With only 1 million prizes you get 2.86% of guests winning a prize.

That sounds like the kind of thing that would make Walt roll over in his grave and die a little more. This fact alone, more than any one of the numerous other problems with the promotion, makes me cringe. The loss of the Gallery as a unique piece of Disneyland history is a deep wound. Having it be the gallery made the space accessible to all people. It was restful and quiet. It was a place a fair crowd could visit (instead now a handful of people per day will ever see it). It showcased Disneylands artistic history and its colorful past. It fit into the New Orleans Square beautifully as an art gallery. It is yet another victim sacrificed on the altar of promotional marketing.

• =)

Agreed, mycroft. The nail has been smacked squarely on the head once more.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Turning ANYPLACE in DL into a private hotel room is deplorable. Especially when it's an area that was most recently available to ALL Disneyland guests! This was THE most intriguing place ever available in DL to the general public, and it was done in a very appropriate way, and also offered the most amazing view of the surrounding area. It needs to be returned to the general public, not the elite few!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast