Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

Soarin' over California

My friend told me he read that they are going to start filming a new film for Soarin' and that it will be the whole nation...if this is true, will the music be changed? In my opinion, the music is the best part of that attraction and I feel that if they change it, it certainly won't be the same...

Anyone know any details???

Sorry if this has been posted before.
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• =)

Re: Soarin' over California

They couldn't be that dumb. It's called Soarin' over California and it's in California Adventure, so it stands to reason that if there's a single brain cell left in the management, this won't come to pass. There've been rumors of that sort of thing happening for Florida's version, however, which could be a lot more meaningful. After all, the attraction is simply called Soarin' over there, and the park it's located in is themed after neither California nor Florida nor any single geographic location...

I agree that Jerry Goldsmith's score stands as one of the greatest pieces of theme park music ever written. It would be a true pity to hear it replaced, particularly because Maestro Goldsmith has since passed away and thus wouldn't be able to rescore the new Soarin'.

If these people were dumb enough to put Soarin' over California in the Land pavilion at EPCOT, then they are certainly capable of being dumb enough to put Soarin' over America in Disney's California Adventure.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    If these people were dumb enough to put Soarin' over California in the Land pavilion at EPCOT, then they are certainly capable of being dumb enough to put Soarin' over America in Disney's California Adventure.
    The Land is focused on preserving and respecting the natural landscapes of the world, and Soarin' celebrates a number of those. (Yes, I know there are some very manmade elements in some parts.) It's not a perfect fit, but it doesn't blatantly defy the theme. It also had to have been tempting, considering the attraction's popularity. But to change this popular attraction to something new in California, where it began, and thus discourage the thematic unity it attempts rather successfully to further...? Prag, I'm sorry, but I really don't see how you can compare the two. Was it tongue-in-cheek? I'm frequently stupid enough not to catch these things.

Now, if you'd brought up Carsland or the Little Mermaid dark ride, I would have had nothing to say in Disney's defense. (Although, to be fair, neither of those is replacing a thematically perfect attraction or area.)

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Aren't they changing the park name in a couple of years?

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Was it tongue-in-cheek? I'm frequently stupid enough not to catch these things.
    Yes.

Disney is full of dumb people making these kinds of creative decisions to save costs.

So I'd assume they'd save the most by leaving Soarin in DCA alone. That is the strongest ride from the original DCA. I think it will receave a breathe of fresh air just by having the surrounding elements plussed, so changing it to Soarin over America or Globe would have a negative effect on the 1.1 billion doller upgrade. Imagine a lot of the park has a unified california feel, and one of the only rides that acually captures that feel changes. It doesn't make sense if they are trying to sell this park as an alternative to Disneyland, and eventually open a 3rd gate. Decisions like this, assuming they are going to change Soarin, aren't very promising...

• =)

Aren't they changing the park name in a couple of years?
    Possibly. It's a pretty bad dilemma, since so much of the "old park" is remaining with a California theme, as is some of the new stuff. But some of the new is definitely not fitting the California idea...and the park's current theme can be rather restrictive...so who knows what'll happen.

Disney is full of dumb people making these kinds of creative decisions to save costs.
    Shooting a massive new film with helicopters traversing the globe just to replace a popular and reliable attraction won't save costs. But yes, there are some people at Disney who care very little for the integrity of the parks' design.

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

They could call the new ride "Soarin' Over the World," if the film would feature various countries from around the world.

They could also call it "Soarin' Over America," if the new film would only have cities in the US.

Personally, I would be excited for a new film. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Soarin'! I think it is one of DCA's saving graces. However, it wouldn't hurt for it to get updated.

However, the only problem I see with a film that comprises various countries would be the film's length. To truly allow riders to get a sampling of the beauty of, let's say, 25 countries (or 25 states if they would stay only in America) would probably be a good 15-20 minute film - a lot longer than the one that is currently at DCA.

The only thing I could see Disney doing would be to add in more theaters (which wouldn't be a bad idea as the line is always long - at least when I go). That would, however, make the attraction expand more into the Esplanade.

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

I also, love Soarin'. And while I wouldn't be heartbroken to soar over something else, I would be sad if they completely changed the theme song.
    This topic made me think of CircleVision. The movie changed a few times and was always impressive.

Of course, I was easier to impress when I was 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Permits have been requested for a new film, can't say it is 100% for sure thing, but a very good possibility.

And who says when the "new" film premiers in Anaheim, that it will be at "DCA", there is a good chance that a new name for the park might happen around the same time the new film premiers....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• I'm not really here

Thanks for that news Darkbeer.

It is also possible, remember, to set the new film to the exact same music. Editing a film to music is not that difficult to do really.

That could actually make it fun to watch the new film to see how and what they fit into music we all know and love so well.

I have to agree that the Soarin' music is some of the best music ever written for a theme park or a movie. It matches so perfectly the mood and visuals.

I really am straddling the fence on this one... one foot in both gardens.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

Isn't it Soaring over California and not Soarin'? I seem to remember this coming up before.

*fake edit:
    That's a joke, son. That's a joke.

• Dreamer

I think one of the very neat features about this attraction is that it CAN be updated. I have now ridden it several times at EPCOT and DL....and I think I am ready for something new. However, I do say keep the music. It is just stunning.

Now I am just thinking where I want to so SOAR....

How about over all the Disney mountains...real and fake. Matterhorn, Everest, etc...

• I'm not really here

Seeing as how they are going to re-theme that area of the park to a National Park type of area, I think Soarin' could very easily be redone to be a tour over the nation's parks. Shots like the one of Yosemite in the current incarnation would be the norm. Rocky Mountain National Park, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Denali, Glacier, Volcano, etc. California is amazingly beautiful, but think of the beauty that each of the 50 states offers.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast