Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frontierland, Big Thunder Ranch, DLRR roundhouse

Some questions and thoughts on the Frontierland area, from the original land entrance, through BTMRR and BT Ranch and up to the Circle D Ranch. Some of these ideas have been brought up in threads from a year ago.

1) What is the area between the berm and the Circle D Ranch? It looks to be the garbage collection area.

2) Just to the east of that, there are two structures that could easily be single story 1950's suburban homes. One of them even has a lawn out front! What are those buildings?

Here are my thoughts (I know, they're detailed) on the area:

1) Relocate the trash area (I know backstage space is a premium, but there's got to be a spare parking lot somewhere) and move those two "suburban homes".

2) Push the berm and RR tracks out just slightly so they make a more circular path between the ROA and Fantasyland.

3) Move the Fantasmic! storage area to the west about 40 feet.

Now you've got the area west of BTMRR and everything north of it up to Circle D Ranch. Obviously, the areas immediately around ROA would have to remain wooded to keep the wilderness feel.

4) Put the DLRR roundhouse into the BT Ranch area. That attraction right there would occupy me for hours on end. (Could the parade storage buildings now occupy the old RR roundhouse under the Monorail roundhouse?)

5) There's space for another attraction, what I don't know. But it would be complemented with old west style buildings, housing shops and restaurants.

Frontierland now becomes a respectably sized land with a few more attractions. The only problem I have is that the old west buildings to the south and the new buildings to the north are disconnected.

Thoughts?

• Closed Account

Re: Frontierland, Big Thunder Ranch, DLRR roundhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    4) Put the DLRR roundhouse into the BT Ranch area. That attraction right there would occupy me for hours on end. (Could the parade storage buildings now occupy the old RR roundhouse under the Monorail roundhouse?)
    There's no way the roundhouse would fit. It's a very large structure. Moving it from its current location is completely unnecessary as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    There's no way the roundhouse would fit. It's a very large structure. Moving it from its current location is completely unnecessary as well.
    I know it's not necessary to move it, I was talking about turning it into an attraction in Frontierland. I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that.

The DLRR roundhouse would easily fit into the BT Ranch area of Frontierland. If you look at satellite images, you'll see there's plenty of space for it plus another attraction in that area.

The roundhouse would showcase the engines and tenders and would allow guests to watch them being maintained, etc. This would totally fit into the Frontierland theming as well.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

The roundhouse also houses the Monorails. Why have two roundhouses when only one would suffice?
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• =)

1) What is the area between the berm and the Circle D Ranch? It looks to be the garbage collection area.
    Correct, I believe. It should be the environmental center.

2) Just to the east of that, there are two structures that could easily be single story 1950's suburban homes. One of them even has a lawn out front! What are those buildings?
    I believe this one is the Owen Pope house; he worked with animals earlier in the park's history, I believe. Dunno what it's used for now, but if you look at it from the right angles and ignore the stuff behind it, you can easily pretend you're strolling through suburbia somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    The roundhouse also houses the Monorails. Why have two roundhouses when only one would suffice?
    I'm talking about turning the DLRR roundhouse into an attraction that guests can visit and enjoy. Oy!

There are two roundhouses, they're just different levels in the same building. While we're at it, why not put an attic in the roundhouse and use it to store the parade floats and put a basement in the roundhouse and use it to store the trams? One building would suffice. ;-) Sorry, I'm just a little frustrated that an idea for an attraction is being shot down, not because it's a bad idea for an attraction, but because it's unnecessary and redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I believe this one is the Owen Pope house; he worked with animals earlier in the park's history, I believe. Dunno what it's used for now, but if you look at it from the right angles and ignore the stuff behind it, you can easily pretend you're strolling through suburbia somewhere.
    Yeah, that's the building I'm talking about. So it really is a house? Was it there at park opening? It's so amazing to see a suburban house, complete with lawn and garage right there in Disneyland - can't believe I haven't noticed it before.

• We Want The Redhead

On behalf of all hot and tired parents visiting Disneyland, I would have to vote nay (neigh) on this one. A mid-afternoon break at the Circle D Ranch and a visit with the goats (we're on first name basis with several) is just what's needed for recharging the old (and getting older) batteries. It's the only quiet place left anywhere in Disneyland for some good old fashioned sitting around doing nothin'! The kids love to color and chat amongst themselves and are always refreshed and ready for more fun afterwards.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

I've had an idea on what to do with the area behind Big Thunder Mountain and the Fantasyland theater thing. I've always felt that giant tent wasn't really fantasy-ish, and the Big Thunder Mountain Ranch has always been too removed from the rest of Frontierland. If you look on Google Earth, you can clearly see that, put together, both of those two areas are large enough to make a New Orleans Square sized land.

If you were to put a ninth land back there, it would help Toontown and It's a small world, because right now, everything 'funnels' through the parade route beyond Storybook land. Adding a new land with a passage from the Toontown train station, the old skyway station, and the exit of Big Thunder mountain would help it feel as though that area wasn't so 'dead.'

To accomodate a new land, the Princess Fantasy Faire could be put on the other side of the parade route in fantasyland, north of the Matterhorn and south of It's a small world. You would need to fill in that pond, but it would help on the long run, because it that part of the park wouldn't feel so funneled on busy days.

On the Frontierland side, you could put a restaurant, small petting zoo, and the "Santa's cabin" over by the passage way that Big Thunder exits onto. The Rivers of America make a bend there, so there is some valuable real estate right there. Right now, all that that area is used for it some scenery. Also, the old skyway station could be converted into a 'villain's shop,' and would give that old skyway station some use after all these years.

For the 'picnic area,' that the ninth land would be replacing, I would use the old Who Wants to Be a Millionaire building for picnics and events.

That's what I would do with that area, anyways.

• Oo-de-lally

Love the ideas. I really want them to do more with this land. It is one of my favorites but it is just so small. I really hope that they bring in a BBQ restaurant.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• =)

So it really is a house? Was it there at park opening? It's so amazing to see a suburban house, complete with lawn and garage right there in Disneyland - can't believe I haven't noticed it before.
    Yep! Out of context, it could totally pass for an average-sized, one-story suburban home. It's even got a wooden two-seater swing on one of the porches and a garden hose attached to a spigot, or at least it did a few years ago. The berm behind it is kinda pretty, too. There was apparently no house right there as of 1960; I don't know when after that it was added or moved to the spot it currently occupies. And I still don't know what's inside.

EDIT: My 3D model contains a rudimentary version of the Pope house; I'm planning on giving it an overhaul in the future, but for now, here's a video of me when I started making it. (The two videos after it continue the process.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=ppty6-PzXmE

Oh, and regarding Owen Pope himself, apparently he was the main horse trainer/handler in the park's early days. He and his wife, Dolly, actually lived in this house on-site. I gotta say, living backstage at Disneyland would be a dream come true for me...
    Last edited by Datameister; 08-15-2008 at 12:39 PM.

• =)

By the way, you've inspired me to start up my model of the Pope house again, since I know more about it now than I did back then.

By the way, you've inspired me to start up my model of the Pope house again, since I know more about it now than I did back then.
    Sweet! At this point, you just need to start modeling everything!

• =)

Sweet! At this point, you just need to start modeling everything!
    Well...I am. I just move around a lot through the entire model, working on whatever interests me most at the time. And Owen Pope's house takes the cake at the moment. Got the exterior walls, roof, and some ventilators on the roof in place so far...lots more details to add.

Well...I am. I just move around a lot through the entire model, working on whatever interests me most at the time. And Owen Pope's house takes the cake at the moment. Got the exterior walls, roof, and some ventilators on the roof in place so far...lots more details to add.
    Wow, that's fast! Do you know what the structure just to the west of it is? Looks like another house or maybe just a slanted roof with no sides.

• =)

Wow, that's fast! Do you know what the structure just to the west of it is? Looks like another house or maybe just a slanted roof with no sides.
    You know, I'm not sure. I don't think it's another house, though. Are you talking about the one just northwest of the Pope house, or the larger one a little further due west? The former looks like a garage to me, but the latter is harder to say. Frustratingly, I do have one pre-DCA map that labels it, but it's nearly impossible to read whatever it says.

HORSES, maybe? Hard to say. It's right at the intersection of Circle D Ranch, the area around the Pope house, and the environmental center, so it could be a lot of things. It seems fenced off from the environmental center, though, so I doubt it's related to that.

Cast member input is always welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast