• "I Break Things"

Merlin and Mad Madam Mim

Sorry for the recent Sword in the Stone theme... it's been playing regularly at our apartment for the past couple weeks. Anyhow I was wondering why I didn't really enjoy the coronation ceremony all that much then I realized why... it needs a preshow!

Granted the actual wizards duel where they change into animals would not be possible BUT with a bit of improv it could be a fun show that would get the entire crowd into it. Each wizard would cast a "spell" on the other wizard making them do something funny (possibly acting like an animal). This would override their physical movement but not override their mind so they could talk. they would then encourage the crowd to clap etc... to break the spell and cast an equally clever one on their opponent.

I see two advantages to this. It would bring Mim into the park, and it would get the crowd into the ceremony in a way that it currently doesn't. Thoughts?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Don't lets be silly! ºoº

Re: Merlin and Mad Madam Mim

I like the idea! Though there leaves a lot to be thought about, it's a fantastic background to build on.

Though would Mim be a Face or a Fuzzie?

that is a GREAT idea I love madam mim she is so funny. I bet it would be a great hit I would watch it.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    I like the idea! Though there leaves a lot to be thought about, it's a fantastic background to build on.

Though would Mim be a Face or a Fuzzie?
    Face... same as Merlin... a fuzzy would completely destroy the effect and not allow her to talk and "cast a spell"

The other thing is that it would encourage the kids to chant for their favorite character/ creature as each wizard asks for ideas before casting the spell... and it allows for improv.

People always like those hypnotist shows when they hypnotize people and make them do funny things... this would be similar in effect as the character would act like the creature described!

• Following the Second Star

My friends and I have talked about this (we love the ceremony and watch it everytime we go) and decided what we wanted. We wanted there to be a Madam Mim face character. We dont want her just for the show, we want her walking around (same with Merlin). And we decided it would be great if Madam Mim occasionally came across the ceremony and crashed it.

That is what I want to see happen. Madam Mim crashing the party.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Granted the actual wizards duel where they change into animals would not be possible...
    It would be possible at night. Imagine Merlin and Mim appearing on the rooftops and in the second-story windows of the central Fantasyland buildings -- taunting each other back and forth, zapping each other with magic from rooftop to rooftop across the courtyard, dodging the zaps by disappearing and popping up on other rooftops. When one of the wizards scores a hit, the other disappears in a puff of smoke and reappears as a different (scrim projection) animal. Comedy/action storyline would revolve around Mim trying to get revenge on Merlin, but never achieving it.

Upside: fun, crowd-involving, fits Fantasyland area theme.
    Downside: needs at least a couple actors for Merlin and Mim; FX intensve; audio production intensive; relatively small viewing area means limited number of guests can attend; big potential for traffic jams.
    Suggestion: keep the show very short and don't schedule it; have variations of the basic script rotate at random so the repeat audience has fun guessing which animals the wizards will turn into.

Aw, now, see there, skip, you're making me dream up stuff again. Cut it out!

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-16-2008 at 02:24 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Aw, now, see there, skip, you're making me dream up stuff again. Cut it out!

As fun as it sounds that would be a pretty big production... and it would get in the way of the fireworks!

• Oo-de-lally

What a great idea. I would love to see this.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• "I Break Things"

My Wife (Tinkmomma) just nudged me and let me in on a secret. At Renfaire the fairy show does exactly what I described. Each fairy gets a section of the crowd, and when a spell is cast the fairy, and the kids in the crowd, really get into it. Then they clap, snap fingers, or something like that, and the spell is broken and it is their turn to cast one. With the popularity of Harry Potter you would think that Disney would capitalize on it's resident wizard instead of limiting him to a coronation ceremony.

• Senior Minion

I have to agree, that is a classic scene, and it would be really neat if they had some kind of show that recreated it. Another cool idea Tech.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Higitus Figitus

Wink Re: Merlin and Mad Madam Mim

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer20k View Post
    My friends and I have talked about this (we love the ceremony and watch it everytime we go) and decided what we wanted. We wanted there to be a Madam Mim face character. We dont want her just for the show, we want her walking around (same with Merlin). And we decided it would be great if Madam Mim occasionally came across the ceremony and crashed it.

That is what I want to see happen. Madam Mim crashing the party.
    i was thinking of the party crashing idea too! like just before Merlin pulls someone out of the audience to pull the sword- she could start singing the song "mad madame mim"(don't even know if this is possible hah) and sorta cast goofy spells on merlin-as skip mentioned.

love it! of course i love all the sword in the stone ideas though
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”

• Banned User

What a magnificent idea! I just love improv shows. By the way, here's the fuzzy version of Madam Mim:http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...91579421DBPZgF

I know all of you prefer the face version, but it's just the example for what Madam Mim's costume look like. Ignore the fuzzy face.

• Minion

Great idea. A Mim and Merlin street theatre conflict would be very entertaining.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by TsWade2 View Post
    What a magnificent idea! I just love improv shows. By the way, here's the fuzzy version of Madam Mim:http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...91579421DBPZgF

I know all of you prefer the face version, but it's just the example for what Madam Mim's costume look like. Ignore the fuzzy face.
    Ok... that woke me up... wow that was a scary face... hopefully if Mim is ever brought into the park she will be a face character.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Ok... that woke me up... wow that was a scary face... hopefully if Mim is ever brought into the park she will be a face character.
    Yeah I know. But, try to picture it as a face character.