• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Whats next on the "Death" to themed stores list?

I bet someones eyeing the Magic store on Main St. thinking, "it's just too specialized, we could stuff more plushies from China in there" (wringing hands greedily.....

Where will the madness stop?

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Don't lets be silly! ºoº

Re: Whats next on the "Death" to themed stores list?

When people stop buying those plushies from China they have there...

I say the next one to go is... hum, well, what's left?

That is so true DisneyMouse.

I've been thinking lately about Main Street and how it has all these cool themed shop names but then you get in there and realize it's true name...The Disney Store.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• Here Comes Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post

I bet someones eyeing the Magic store on Main St. thinking, "it's just too specialized, we could stuff more plushies from China in there" (wringing hands greedily.....

Where will the madness stop?
    As long as the Steve Martin anniversary movie is playing in the Opera House, they wouldn't close the Magic Shop. However with their logic being in question as often as it is, I wouldn't be suprised to see the Market near the lockers re-themed. There isn't much unique to that store these days.
    Last edited by kristibaer; 08-16-2008 at 01:14 PM.
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

• "I Break Things"

It's a strange pendulum... some see the closing of themed stores and the proliferation of generic merchandise. Others report the return to themed merchandise and the closure of generic stores. Seems like every week it swings one way or the other on this forum.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Here Comes Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    It's a strange pendulum... some see the closing of themed stores and the proliferation of generic merchandise. Others report the return to themed merchandise and the closure of generic stores. Seems like every week it swings one way or the other on this forum.
    With all of the the threads and support of going back to the land/attraction themed stores, do you think they would attract more people actually buying the unique items from themed shops? I know with us (and being AP holders we can afford to be lazy) if we plan to buy souviners, we dont want to carry them with us or rent a locker to hold them from say Tomorrowland when we know whatever we see these days is available on Main Street or WOD at DTD.

You're right there Skip, it swings both ways
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

• =)

I don't buy stuff while I'm in the park most of the time. (Aside from food, that is.) Too many other things to experience. So it really doesn't matter to me exactly how themed the merchandise is, since I'd really rather it was all replaced with attractions anyhow. (All things being equal, though, yes, properly themed merchandise is nice.)

On a side note...I think I've said this before, and I know others have...but gosh, GothicManor, I would just love it if you'd post positive threads a little more frequently. I know there's a lot that's disappointing about the way the management does things--even though the improvement from a decade ago is immense--but there's also a lot that's great about the DLR. It doesn't hurt to talk about those things, too. Balance is nice. Just my two cents, as the saying goes.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Just my two cents
    Save it... that's about a tablespoon of gas!

I'm a bit shocked that you do not care about the themed merchandise. Given your appreciation of Indy I would have thought you practically lived in the Indy store... which ironically is not a store I believe in (see the comments in HM store thread about stores themed to specific attractions.)

My comment about the pendulum is that there was a recent thread on here professing a return to themed merchandise. Then I see another about the removal of the clock shop... and now this... so I am curious what the status is.

I would prefer unique merchandise, and unique stores, I have posted various concepts about both. Starting with the "junk drawer" and then a variety of other ones. I even suggested copying the "Build a Bear" program to free up some shelf space and allow guests to buy a generic plush then dress it according to which land they are in.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

I'm a bit shocked that you do not care about the themed merchandise. Given your appreciation of Indy I would have thought you practically lived in the Indy store... which ironically is not a store I believe in (see the comments in HM store thread about stores themed to specific attractions.)
    Meh, it's similar to my stance on the IASW changes. From a standpoint of pure principle, both the supposed proliferation of generic merchandise and the upcoming removal of an attraction's thematic integrity are appalling. But I just can't bring myself to care too much when it comes to practicality, since I spend very little time shopping in the park and very little time on IASW. It may be months or even years before the next time I do either, depending on how often I visit and who's with me. So I can get as pissed as I want about these issues--and I do think there's grounds for being pissed about 'em--but ultimately, they don't affect the actual experience I have in the park, since I'm not going to partake of them either way.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I remember when they use to sell Mocassins and good Chinaware at Disneyland. I believe there was a place on Main Street that sold that stuff years ago.

Anyway, my only favorite store in Disneyland was Baton Rouge. Is that still around? I also loved the Disney Gallery and the Disneyana store.

• =)

Le Bat en Rouge? Yup, still there...I think...

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Meh, it's similar to my stance on the IASW changes. From a standpoint of pure principle, both the supposed proliferation of generic merchandise and the upcoming removal of an attraction's thematic integrity are appalling. But I just can't bring myself to care too much when it comes to practicality, since I spend very little time shopping in the park and very little time on IASW. It may be months or even years before the next time I do either, depending on how often I visit and who's with me. So I can get as pissed as I want about these issues--and I do think there's grounds for being pissed about 'em--but ultimately, they don't affect the actual experience I have in the park, since I'm not going to partake of them either way.
    Well to others both affect the experience.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Senior Minion

I figure the Emporium will be the next to go, now that they sell the same things they used to sell there everywhere in the park. They'll probably turn it into a travel agency to sell DVC and Adventures by Disney.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Well to others both affect the experience.
    Oh, I understand that! Make no mistake--I'm not at all trying to put down anyone who cares about these issues. I'm just saying that they make little practical difference to me personally.