• Senior Minion

Seasonal Merchandise

There's been a lot of threads related to merchandise lately, and one of the trends I've noticed is a big increase in the seasonal mechadise being offered at DL. There's been news recently about the expanded Christmas offerings including in the Court of Angels, and Andy Castro's recently featured the wide variety of Holloween items already being offered in August.It makes sense that Disney would want to do this as it will offer APs a variety of items to grab their interest each time they visit. It seems like this is part of the reason the Holloween items came out now, just in time to capitalize on the So Cal APs coming back to the parks. I guess I see both good and bad parts of this trend. On the good side, I do enjoy seeing the variety of merch and do think some of it is cool. On the other hand, it seems to further sacrifice theme, and is causing the loss of places that were not previously used for retail. So I have some questions..Do you think this is a trend, and will we see it continue to grow? Do you think it's good or bad?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Seasonal Merchandise

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    There's been a lot of threads related to merchandise lately, and one of the trends I've noticed is a big increase in the seasonal mechadise being offered at DL. There's been news recently about the expanded Christmas offerings including in the Court of Angels, and Andy Castro's recently featured the wide variety of Holloween items already being offered in August.It makes sense that Disney would want to do this as it will offer APs a variety of items to grab their interest each time they visit. It seems like this is part of the reason the Holloween items came out now, just in time to capitalize on the So Cal APs coming back to the parks. I guess I see both good and bad parts of this trend. On the good side, I do enjoy seeing the variety of merch and do think some of it is cool. On the other hand, it seems to further sacrifice theme, and is causing the loss of places that were not previously used for retail. So I have some questions..Do you think this is a trend, and will we see it continue to grow? Do you think it's good or bad?
    I don't mind seasonal merchandise -- it's fine, and at Disneyland I can understand offering Christmas ornaments year-round, or the early offering of Halloween merch -- tourists might not be able to make it to the parks during Christmas time, and might enjoy some Mickey Mouse or Princess ornaments for their tree. Others might be ornament collectors. Similarly, a tourist visiting in August might miss HalloweenTime, but still might like to be able to celebrate Halloween Disney-style at home.

I do have an issue with expanding shops into places they shouldn't be, like the Royal Courtyard or the Court des Anges in New Orleans Square.

But I'm far-more offended by Christmas merchandise in August at stores like Michael's and Wal Mart -- it's simply overkill. These aren't specialty shops, they're widely-accessible chain stores. No need to bombard us with holiday merchandise 4 months before the actual holiday.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

There are several stores outside of the DL resort that specialize in Christmas ornaments throughout the entire year. And DL has had a long tradition of having a Christmas Store in DL ~ it's not a new thing at all.

And a year or two ago DL started showing Halloween merchandise in July, and a few years ago, World of Disney had some kids AND adult Halloween Costumes in July, too!

• Senior Minion

I'm not saying it's completely new, it just seems to be expanding, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it seems to be smart to expand it since I think a lot of people like the holiday stuff. I just wonder if we're going to start to see more valentines, mother's day, dads and grads, or other big gift day specialty merch in the future.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• We Want The Redhead

Now Living in Eden Along The Lake Erie Shore In The Furthermost Reaches Of Western New York State

In some ways it does scarifice 'theme' for sure.
    On the other hand, I find it nice to see new window displays going up seasonally at the Market House, Disney Clothiers and the rest. Disneyland window dressers are fabulously talented, and the displays are always a treat.
    It's nice to find new temporary 'Hidden Mickey's' as well.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!