Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Haunted Mansion: A unique ride experience

Last night as the park was closing, my friends and I decided to take a spin on the HM to end the night. At first, we were excited by the thought of having the mansion to ourselves. There was no one in line, the foyer was completely empty. We were excited to say the least. How many times have you ridden it, with NO one except for CMs around? My answer is never.

Well just as we thought we'd have it all to ourselves, a group of people about 7 or 8, walk in. Okay no big deal. It's still an intimate setting. Well my friend, decides to pump up the room before the doors to the stretch room open. He got everyone applauding, cheering and chanting praises about the mansion. We got loud! The mood was completely festive. Finally the doors glide open. Now I have ridden the HM hundreds of times over the years, but I have never ever experienced it the way I did that night. As the doors opened, the group of 7 or 8 walk in....Walk in and started to sit down, or at least thats what I first thought. They didn't sit at all, in fact they laid down on the carpet in the middle of the room. Laying flat on the floor, with faces looking high up to the ceiling above. My friends and I (there are 4 of us) look on in disbelief and wonder. We look at each, a bit confused. I look over to see if any more guest might pop in, there were none. I looked over for the CM stationed at the room "controls" but she had stepped out, I believe she was in the foyer or the entrance of the attraction (probably making sure no one else was coming in, since it was already 12). Just one look at my friends, and we knew. We would be experiencing the stretch room from a different perspective. And we did, flat on our backs on the floor. When the CM returned to the elevator, I wasn't sure what reaction we were in store for, but as the doors closed, the familar "drag your bodies to the center" was replaced with a more appropriate, "rest in peace". Down we went...all of us laying on the floor enjoying the view.

It was random, but unique.
    Sure laying on that floor, was sort of gross
    Sure that kind of behavior might be looked down on,
    and I'm not encouraging anything.
    But, I just thought I'd share this experience.
    Sometimes, you just gotta do things a little different.

AND....
    I've been lurking on here since this message board started. Its weird when I see some of you in the parks, because even though I don't know you. I've read many of your posts for YEARS!!! Its sort of like seeing someone famous in person, you've seen them many times but never in person!

• =)

Re: Haunted Mansion: A unique ride experience

Haha, very weird, but cool nonetheless. Glad you enjoyed it! I love the "rest in peace"...

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Maybe I'm a huge nerd for this, but that? Sounds so fun! What a cool ride on HM, definitely a unique perspective!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Don't lets be silly! o

Sounds like it was a lot of fun, I might just need to try that some night!
    Last edited by DisneyMouse; 08-19-2008 at 12:16 PM.

• Higitus Figitus

last week was my birthday (had my birthday button and all!) and me and my cousins were nearing the front of the line for the haunted mansion when it was our turn to enter. the cm who lets everyone enter the room (don't know the technical term for this person) was a guy doing the typical creepy-mansion-look when he perked up real fast and smiled "Happy Birthday Patricia!" it was so funny, you woulda had to be there lol
    If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

OK, now I've had my smiles for the day!!!

• Knight that says Nee!!

Cool experience, thanks for sharing it!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I would love to do this. Rest in Peace was perfect, man those Haunted Mansion CMs are good. If we stay til closing, I'd give it a go!

•   
    • Shenanigans.

Sounds cool! I think for me the idea of being on that floor would scare me away, but who knows when you are in the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• Progressive Disneylander

Sounded fun. The Mansion tends to be a different experience between day and night. During the day, most people are quiet and respectful when in the Mansion. At night, all bets are off. It can be quite fun or quite crummy -- both due to various guest related factors. It seems that on this occasion, this was one of the fun times and maybe the only time you'll get a chance to experience it in this manner. And a kudos to the CM who was quick enough to opt for "Rest in Peace".

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    Sounded fun. The Mansion tends to be a different experience between day and night. During the day, most people are quiet and respectful when in the Mansion. At night, all bets are off. It can be quite fun or quite crummy -- both due to various guest related factors. It seems that on this occasion, this was one of the fun times and maybe the only time you'll get a chance to experience it in this manner. And a kudos to the CM who was quick enough to opt for "Rest in Peace".
    I agree, this experience is probably once in a lifetime. Everything came together so perfectly. There is no way it could happen again, and not feel forced or contrived. The CM was perfect!

• The Pirate Girl

That's so awesome!

And I give props to the CM who said "Rest in Peace" as well.
    For certain you must be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

• Hello

Cool Re: Haunted Mansion: A unique ride experience

I would have never thought of that!

• WDW CP Spring 2013

I would love to do this but only after the floor was cleaned.

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

I agree with the OP: lying back and watching the room stretch upward is a fantastically surreal experience. It also makes you feel more intimate with the Mansion, in a home-y kinda way. I just always make sure I'm resting my head on something relatively clean, like a bag or a purse or someone's corpse, as compared to the filthy floor.

I've also been the only guest in the Mansion during the middle of the day. Some off-season experience, huh? It was very depressing in more ways than one. I remember my whole trip through the Mansion completely alone just made me feel overwhelmingly sad for myself and the place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast