View Poll Results: What do you think about the trams rides to the Esplanade from parking?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • No problem with them!

44 37.93%
  • They get annoying sometimes.

37 31.90%
  • I hate them!

10 8.62%
  • At least I don't have to walk...

25 21.55%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Still wants to be a cat!

Has anyone had to walk 1 - 1.5 miles to the tram?....horrible & dangerous! Even if you get there early. Worst and most annoying part of the Disney experience! You guys realize it is the second largest parking structure in the world.....Hong Kong has a larger one!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    Has anyone had to walk 1 - 1.5 miles to the tram?....horrible & dangerous! Even if you get there early. Worst and most annoying part of the Disney experience! You guys realize it is the second largest parking structure in the world.....Hong Kong has a larger one!
    I walked to the parking structure. It wasn't that far. I went our past the ESPN zone and it was just a straight walk. I didn't think it was dangerous and it took about 10 min...maybe??

• Zapp's Minion :D

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    I walked to the parking structure. It wasn't that far. I went our past the ESPN zone and it was just a straight walk. I didn't think it was dangerous and it took about 10 min...maybe??
    Dito, sometimes when the trams are too packed I walk.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I don't think you have been in the very North/West corner, I always allow 30-45 minutes to get actually in and out of the park. Can be kind of difficult if you have reservations. Hard with a kid also, they keep jumping and running ( not that I'm "one of those Mom's)!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Rat Tat Tat.

The sign for the walk that starts by Wetzel's Pretzels says it is a 2/3 mile walk...it's not too bad unless you are parked in the farthest part of the structure which nearly doubles the walk.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

What do you think about the trams rides to the Esplanade from parking?
    The question should have been "What do you think about the trams rides to the Main Entry Plaza from the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure?"

DIsney changed the name of the area back in 2001, because many guest had no clue to what "Esplanade" meant....

And I have walked the tram route many times, both from the ESPN Zone area, and from the World Of Disney area (two totally different routes), the walk is not bad, about a 1/2 mile.

What I am truly surprised about, is the fact that Disney does not offer a hotel tram service.

Back when DCA was a parking lot, Disney offered a tram from the front gate to the hotel, and the Monorail.

When constuction started for DCA and DtD, they built the Lion King tram route, which went all the way to Paradise Pier, and served both the PPH and the DLH. This tram continued for a few months after DCA opened, then sudddenly was cancelled. (The Lion King Tram only went to the Timon lot and back). They had the Double Decker bus, which they claimed was the replacement. This is more of a pain, since you rode the bus to the Parking Structure (actually the Pinochhio lot), then you had to walk to the Tram loading area, stand in line and get on a tram to DtD, a long way to get from here to there. Then September 11th happened, and a few weeks later, the Double Decker Bus stopped running, due to safety concerns, since the route drove right by the Sierra tower. After that date, if you stay at a Disney owned hotel, your only option is now to walk.

For some reason, Disney decided to opt out of the ART system. Too bad they won't let them add a new route to service the 3 hotels.

Or even better, start up their own service. Since the route runs on city streets, you would have to use vehicles similar to the Cast Shuttle service. Heck, just hire Super Shuttle (who operates the Cast Shuttle) to run the hotel service. You would start in the current Hotel Shuttle area, go south on Harbor, west on Katella, then north on Disneyland Dr., pull into the GCH valet area, load/unload, then up Disneyland Dr. to Magic Way, go to the DLH valet area load/unload, then south on Disneyland Dr., pull into the PPH valet area, load/unload, then back on Disneyland Dr. to Katella, east on Katella to Harbor, North on Harbor to the traffic light into the shuttle area.

Folks pay a premium to stay at a Disney hotel, shouldn't they get services that are offered at the off-site hotels? Heck, CCI is the same length walk as PPH to the Main Entry Plaza, but CCI offers the choice of walk or shuttle....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• e komo mai

I miss the long 'Walley World-esque' anticapatory jaunt to the gates from across the parking lot. The lines for the trams are loooong. It's faster to walk. Also, there's nothing themed to look at while you ride the tram. All you get is a look at the bushes and Downtown Disney's backside.

Idea:
    Why not post Disneyland Attraction Posters as billboards to look at on the way? It could be a parody of LA billboards and get one excited to see the attractions. They could also advertise the new stuff at the park...

The one good part is that you can see Disneyland's backstage area through the green tarp. Sometimes you might see a flume log or Space Mtn car hanging out there...

I have no complaints about the parking structure and trams. It's very efficient, and unless you're stuck on the top level, your car is not burning hot mid-day as it used to be. And I've done the walk from DTD to the structure (via the walkway behind HOB), it's fine as long as you're wearing comfortable shoes. But if you are walking around Disneyland all day you are probably wearing comfortable shoes.

I remember the old parking lot, and I remember thinking it was very 'non-Disney'. Sure you had the Main Street Railroad Station looming your head, but in general it was just another asphalt jungle. I'd much rather have DCA, but I may be in the minority for that.

• I like Cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by millionairegirl
    I remember the old parking lot, and I remember thinking it was very 'non-Disney'. Sure you had the Main Street Railroad Station looming your head, but in general it was just another asphalt jungle. I'd much rather have DCA, but I may be in the minority for that.
    I tend to agree, I just think they could have done a much better job with the whole thing. This is what I meant earlier when I said Walt would have done it differently. It seems to me that since about 1996 or 97 it has been an attitude of "good enough" Take the fact that you can see into all the backstage areas from the structure for example. Just doesn't seem very Disney like to me I guess. At least from the parking lot you saw the train station, not a bunch of upside down POTC boats...

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    I never park in the parking structure. We always stay right across the street Only have two trips have we parked in the structure, maybe 3 times total. :o

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Quote Originally Posted by millionairegirl
    I totally agree. I hated the old parking lot and getting out at night was a nightmare. With the new parking structure getting in and out is very simple. The only thing I don't like is the smell of the trams and when they burn my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    I never park in the parking structure. We always stay right across the street Only have two trips have we parked in the structure, maybe 3 times total. :o
    Thats what we did last year. We bought the parking but only used it 2 or 3 times, because we end up staying on harbor. We probably won't get parking added this year..

• Banned User

I will take the monorail when i have to.. (except for that half day at at DCA.... Where I will find a easy way in....)

I have only parked once in the lot thats behing DCA... (was larger at the time since thre park was only midway through construction the first time i went... Second time is this july...)

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    I loved the old parking lot, and the fact that the trams would make MULTIPLE stops, which placed you only a few yards from your car.... I think the new system SUCKS, you have to walk a LONG distance just to get to the tram if they place you in the far corner of the structure...

Why couldn't they come up with a system like the MGM Grand structure, where they has multiple escalators to take you to the first floor, and a tram system that stopped multiple times (about 5 if I remember) and took you to the main gate area...

The new system says forget about the guests, lets do what is easiest for us, and of course the cheapest....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    I loved the old parking lot, and the fact that the trams would make MULTIPLE stops, which placed you only a few yards from your car.... I think the new system SUCKS, you have to walk a LONG distance just to get to the tram if they place you in the far corner of the structure...

I never used the tram in the old parking lot. There were always lots of people waiting and it was faster to just walk. Maybe thats why the walking in the new structure doesn't bother me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast