View Poll Results: What do you think about the trams rides to the Esplanade from parking?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • No problem with them!

44 37.93%
  • They get annoying sometimes.

37 31.90%
  • I hate them!

10 8.62%
  • At least I don't have to walk...

25 21.55%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I just love Cuzco and E-ticket...

Ok, now its my turn: My 90 year old grandmother just renewed her own AP, and we generally take her to the park two or three times a year... in her wheelchair. We have never had any trouble getting her from the parking structure to the parks. She's in a wheelchair, for crying out loud; expect it to take a little longer. And the CMs are always amazing. Be patient people, or slow down on the coffee on the mornings you're headed to the park.

Visualize how many people, total, are generally waiting in front of you to get on the monorail. Now, think how long you usually have to wait for your train. With that freshly in mind, now remember how many people were waiting, in total, to get on the tram in front of you, and how much shorter of a time there was between trams than between monorails. Do the math; you'd be waiting for an hour to get on the next monorail to the parking structure. Same with a peoplemover system. And as someone pointed out above, this is Disneyland, not an airport, and the dynamics are different.

Place the parking structure next to Downtown Disney??? One of the major reasons the structure is where it is is because if it was anywhere closer to the park, or to DTD, it would literally LOOM over the park and be visible from inside the berm (and you'd love that, wouldnt' you) and/or be completely out of scale with DTD. That parking structure is HUGE. Talk about something that would infuriate Walt...

I remember the old lot, too, with mixed feelings. I miss the "nostalgia" of it and the memories it triggers, but I also remember waiting around while completely full trams passed by me. And I remember choosing to hoof it instead of waiting... on very tired, sore feet. If I can't make it from my car (even from the far, far corner of the structure, where I have indeed parked on occasion) to the tram plaza and back again, then I have bigger concerns I need to be worried about.

That long, beautiful, tree-lined road to the DTD station? You know what? It makes me feel like I'm leaving my car (and the associated world) behind; when I get off the tram I'm in a completely different world, in a completely different environment. That road helps create a sense of distance, of space, between one world and another, even if I can see somewhat through the green mesh. Cluttering it up with billboards would only make it feel like the freeway I just got off.

And getting out of that structure is a BREEZE compared to a lot of parking structures I've had to battle my way out of. They did a terrific job; my only problem is trying to merge over a quarter mile so I can turn right on Ball when I leave. But I can live with that, compared to the one solid hour I waited to get out of a structure on USC after a game.

My vote with the trams? "No problem with them!"
    Last edited by speederscout; 05-21-2005 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain
    I decided to move my post because it looks like I got caught in a little message board "chat" this afternoon...

I think it goes better here, I have a lot of similar points to Speederscout.

Well, for all the criticism that the parking structure first got when it opened, I think it does the job pretty well. I don't mind the system at all, I think they do a good job of moving LOTS of people to and from the parking structure to the DTD/Entrance Plaza.

Many have suggested some type of automated "people mover" type of monorail system that many large airports have. But one thing about most of these systems that don't apply to Disneyland: They are designed to transport a steady flow of people back and forth between two points all day long. DLR has very specific patterns of guest "traffic" flow, and peak periods of use. The Tram system allows them to call up more trams for busy times (like the long end of the day crush). Just think about those crowds of tired people waiting for an automated system just chugging away at one pace and you would have many more complaints about that system! I like that when there are big crowds, for the most part, the trams seem to fly in one after another. I think it's actually very efficient.

Now, that being said... there is one HUGE flaw in this system and one that is FIXABLE (albeit it would cost money), but it is in my opinion inexcusable!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DLand RPT CM
    a few people were speaking of the smell of the trams ~~ yeah it is CNG...natural gas...and before you complain anymore about the smell you deal with for a max. of 2 1/2 minutes...think of the CMs who drive the trams for 8 hours a day...
    As has been mentioned, these trams were custom built at a huge cost ($1.8M each??). Have you ever noticed WHERE they directed the exhaust??? The exhaust pipes go straight out behind the tractors, down low near the ground, right where they can perfectly flow into the passenger area!!. HELLOO, why didn't they route the exhaust upwards, vertically, to let out OVER the roofline of the trams??? City buses follow this common sense rule!!

Take the Tram engines out of service one at a time and re-route the exhaust!!! PLEaSE!!!!!!!!

Okay, that's my tirade for the day.

--Jonathan

I have no gripes about the structure or the trams. My only gripe is when I am parked at the top level and the ESCALATOR IS BROKEN (both sides) and the ELEVATOR LINE IS HUGE! The hike up the stairs is long but when I reach the top I feel like Rocky Balboa and do a little victory dance (much to the chagrin of the rest of the party) at the top.

Broken Escalators

You know what is kind of funny? The escalators usually only break on busy days when there are too many guests riding down at the same time...and sometimes they wont restart without calling the escalator repair people out...sorry...i think its funny only because i've seen it actually stop when there were a whole bunch of people on it...it was the 5th floor escalator and there were soooooooooo many people on it and it just stopped and everyone screamed...it was funny looking...

• Yes its that much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI
    I decided to move my post because it looks like I got caught in a little message board "chat" this afternoon...

I think it goes better here, I have a lot of similar points to Speederscout.

Well, for all the criticism that the parking structure first got when it opened, I think it does the job pretty well. I don't mind the system at all, I think they do a good job of moving LOTS of people to and from the parking structure to the DTD/Entrance Plaza.

Many have suggested some type of automated "people mover" type of monorail system that many large airports have. But one thing about most of these systems that don't apply to Disneyland: They are designed to transport a steady flow of people back and forth between two points all day long. DLR has very specific patterns of guest "traffic" flow, and peak periods of use. The Tram system allows them to call up more trams for busy times (like the long end of the day crush). Just think about those crowds of tired people waiting for an automated system just chugging away at one pace and you would have many more complaints about that system! I like that when there are big crowds, for the most part, the trams seem to fly in one after another. I think it's actually very efficient.

Now, that being said... there is one HUGE flaw in this system and one that is FIXABLE (albeit it would cost money), but it is in my opinion inexcusable!!

As has been mentioned, these trams were custom built at a huge cost ($1.8M each??). Have you ever noticed WHERE they directed the exhaust??? The exhaust pipes go straight out behind the tractors, down low near the ground, right where they can perfectly flow into the passenger area!!. HELLOO, why didn't they route the exhaust upwards, vertically, to let out OVER the roofline of the trams??? City buses follow this common sense rule!!

Take the Tram engines out of service one at a time and re-route the exhaust!!! PLEaSE!!!!!!!!

Okay, that's my tirade for the day.

The problem with that came from the old trams...
    after a while condensation builds up in the exhaust and you get black rain pouring down in the guests! Yes the fumes are bad but the soot was worse!

• Yes its that much fun!

I guess it comes down to $$$$ and time. as you may or may not know we can park 3500 cars in two hours in the structure. avreage 3 people per car and you've got over 10,000 bodys and thats not including buses, oversize vehicles etc. The average time when were are busy is 10 to 15 min. from the time you pay for parking to the time you exit the tram! Try to do that with the old system. While the trams were custom made (WDW Florida) and came at a hefty price they will last for several years and overall have proven to be a reliable source of transportation. As far as the gitneys (double decker DTD buses) go they were ok for a short time but didnt provide much in the way of getting people to the park from the hotels. The new way... Well join the Vacation Club we have exclusive transportation for them. At least for the time being.

yeah...now you can get a nice glance of one of the jitneys as you drive into the structure...and the vacation club crap won't last...since most of the people who sign up dont show up and our drivers always end up helping out the east or west sides...whichever is in more need of people...

• CM for 4 years!

I love the parking structure, because my car doesn't have air conditioning, and when I go for a couple hours in the morning and come back before the sun's down, at least my car has been in the shade all day.

I also think that Walt would have bought ALL the surrounding land by now, despite the cost. If he hadn't, he would have realized the necessity of a parking structure.

I'm sad that Disney bought the Fujishige farm, even though it will mean a third gate though. because the CM lot always smells like really fresh strawberries.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries
    I just wanted to add 2 cents and say that yesterday, for the first time, I walked back to the lot, from the far end of DTD. And it really wasn't a bad walk at all, and it seemed quicker than I thought it'd be. Not the same as the trams, but nothing horrible either!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Sock Puppet

I think the trams are pretty good, except once there was a woman sitting about 5 rows ahead of me on the end of her row and she dropped her cell phone on the ground, I leaned out to try and grab it, sort of an Indiana Jones type manuever, and snagged it but fell out of the tram at the same time. It really sucked and the driver didn't come back for me. I remained sprawled out there in the middle of the path until dusk when the pavement lost that warmth I had gotten so used to and from there I hobbled back to my hotel room only to slip in the shower later that evening and put a hefty bump on my forehead.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    Shhhhhhhh! We will become slammed with Commercials all along the way!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456