Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Kawasaki Kreep

Solo trip to the magic kingdom?

Hey everyone! I've been mostly a lurker on this site for years but now I have a question for you.

I've been a fan of the park for pretty much my entire life but I hardly ever get to go, the last time I went was during the 50th. I log in here a few times a week to get my fix but I really want to go in person! I've been trying to organize something with friends but positively no one else wants to go with me so I've been kicking the idea of a solo trip around. My question is...How many of you guys go solo and is it worth it? I live in San Jose and am thinking of hopping on the ninja on a Friday and heading down for a quick Saturday visit with a return either Sunday or Monday. I'm wondering if doing this solo will be worth it. Your thoughts welcome.

• =)

Re: Solo trip to the magic kingdom?

I just started doing solo trips in the last year. They were preceded by a certain amount of hesitance...I thought I'd be lonely, feel like a loser visiting a theme park by himself, etc. But I decided to give it a try nonetheless, and boy, am I glad I did! Now, I love going with people...it's great to talk with them, laugh about the experiences, try things you might not have otherwise...but going by yourself truly can be just as much fun, albeit in different ways.

The freedom is the best part. You can do what you want whenever you want to. Selfish? Yes, in a way. But it's definitely a perk of going solo if no one else is available to go along. You can take a really relaxed approach to the day. Need a break? Go for it. Wanna ride Space Mountain four times in a row? Your prerogative. Thinking about walking a little slower? Do it. Feel like trying a kiddie ride you could never get anyone else to join you on? Umm...you'll be fine as long as you avoid the other guests' awkward glances.

My point is, it really is a lot of fun. I don't get lonely, surprisingly. I strike up conversations with other guests and CMs--friendly, non-creepy conversations--and watch families having a good time. It's less exciting but more peaceful. It's a tradeoff, and not a bad one.

In case my post has been ambiguous, I definitely suggest trying a solo trip. If you don't like it, you'll know not to do that again...but I've never heard from anyone who went by themselves and had a bad time. I've heard from plenty of skeptics who've never actually done it before, but everyone who actually tries it seems to love it. Just don't forget the value of going with friends or family and you'll be fine.

I used to do a ton of solo trips, though now, I can't go as much and it's usually with other people.

Anyway, I love going with family and friends, but as datameister points out, when you go alone, you have total control. I'm a mad walker (lived in NYC for several years and love to walk... fast!) so navigating my way around DL and the crowds, without having to worry if I lost my group, is loads of fun. When you want to sit on a bench in NOS and just watch the spectacle and take in the scenery, you can do that, for an hour if you want. Get ride crazy? You can do it! Want to take a couple hours worth of pictures? You can do it! Etc...

Disneyland is a great group AND solo experience.

• Keepin' it calsteady

If you go on a Sunday you could start out solo, then meet up with Micechatters at the hub at noon (at least I think that's the schedule). If you like 'em you could spend the rest of the day with some.

I usually hit DLand with my wife, but I tried a solo trip a few months back. I have to tell you I didn't like it.

• Kawasaki Kreep

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I just started doing solo trips in the last year. They were preceded by a certain amount of hesitance...I thought I'd be lonely, feel like a loser visiting a theme park by himself, etc. But I decided to give it a try nonetheless, and boy, am I glad I did! Now, I love going with people...it's great to talk with them, laugh about the experiences, try things you might not have otherwise...but going by yourself truly can be just as much fun, albeit in different ways.

The freedom is the best part. You can do what you want whenever you want to. Selfish? Yes, in a way. But it's definitely a perk of going solo if no one else is available to go along. You can take a really relaxed approach to the day. Need a break? Go for it. Wanna ride Space Mountain four times in a row? Your prerogative. Thinking about walking a little slower? Do it. Feel like trying a kiddie ride you could never get anyone else to join you on? Umm...you'll be fine as long as you avoid the other guests' awkward glances.

My point is, it really is a lot of fun. I don't get lonely, surprisingly. I strike up conversations with other guests and CMs--friendly, non-creepy conversations--and watch families having a good time. It's less exciting but more peaceful. It's a tradeoff, and not a bad one.

In case my post has been ambiguous, I definitely suggest trying a solo trip. If you don't like it, you'll know not to do that again...but I've never heard from anyone who went by themselves and had a bad time. I've heard from plenty of skeptics who've never actually done it before, but everyone who actually tries it seems to love it. Just don't forget the value of going with friends or family and you'll be fine.
    Some of my best memories are going there with friends and family as a kid so I wont be forgetting that. LoL! part of my concern was getting weird looks from parents!

By the way I love your 3D models of the park, they kept me entertained for hours when I had the flu last month. Funny thing is I kicked around the idea of modeling the park with the original Half-life game engine years ago. Never materialized though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I used to do a ton of solo trips, though now, I can't go as much and it's usually with other people.

Anyway, I love going with family and friends, but as datameister points out, when you go alone, you have total control. I'm a mad walker (lived in NYC for several years and love to walk... fast!) so navigating my way around DL and the crowds, without having to worry if I lost my group, is loads of fun. When you want to sit on a bench in NOS and just watch the spectacle and take in the scenery, you can do that, for an hour if you want. Get ride crazy? You can do it! Want to take a couple hours worth of pictures? You can do it! Etc...

Disneyland is a great group AND solo experience.
    Total control is often a good thing! besides if anyone ask's I can just say I'm doing it for the extended ride. I've had the route planned out for months and it doesn't involve highway 5 or 101 at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    If you go on a Sunday you could start out solo, then meet up with Micechatters at the hub at noon (at least I think that's the schedule). If you like 'em you could spend the rest of the day with some.
    Now there's a thought...Hmm might have to request a Monday off soon.

• Kawasaki Kreep

Quote Originally Posted by whamo View Post
    I usually hit DLand with my wife, but I tried a solo trip a few months back. I have to tell you I didn't like it.
    What didn't you like about it?

• Oo-de-lally

I do solo trips at least once a month. I love it. When you are by yourself you can take your time and look at everything. When you are with friends, family, gf/bf they might not be interested in seeing all the exhibits and shows or they might not want to ride all the rides that you want. When you go alone you can take the time and see every little detail on the rides and in the shops. I think everyone should take at least one solo trip in their life.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• We Want The Redhead

I honestly like both, solo as well as family trips. Heck, I was there on Xmas solo in 07!
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Kawasaki Kreep

Quote Originally Posted by Craigroy8287 View Post
    I do solo trips at least once a month. I love it. When you are by yourself you can take your time and look at everything. When you are with friends, family, gf/bf they might not be interested in seeing all the exhibits and shows or they might not want to ride all the rides that you want. When you go alone you can take the time and see every little detail on the rides and in the shops. I think everyone should take at least one solo trip in their life.
    A big part of the charm of the park for me has always been the details. So much has happened in the park over the years I love finding the remenents of old attractions and such.

• Kawasaki Kreep

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    I honestly like both, solo as well as family trips. Heck, I was there on Xmas solo in 07!
    Now that's hardcore. Christmas for me is always just pure family insanity.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I very frequently do solo trips, and I love them! It's a much more relaxed pace, and as has been said, you can do what you want, when you want- with no grief or arguments from anybody.

I say do it!!

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Do not hesitate to go solo! A few years ago I was recovering from a serious illness and had to walk a lot. I already knew Disneyland was a great place to walk, but by myself? I thoroughly enjoyed it. I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Could shop to my heart's content. It took me no time at all to start going on rides by myself. I ate when and where I wanted.

I noticed things in the park I'd never known were there. Got to know a lot of the CMs. Became the Delta Daddy-o's biggest fan. I started out going in the morning, but before long if the house was empty at nite and I'd get the itch I'd hop in the car and enjoy the park after dark.

I always felt perfectly safe while at the park or in the parking lot. Needless to say I kept my eyes open and was well aware of my surroundings.

Later, when I had work done on my house and everyone else was out of town I checked myself into a hotel and played real tourist. (Holiday Inn and Paradise Pier.) No one ever made me feel like "oohh.. she's alone! It was more, "Great! Have a fabulous time!"

I can't think of another place where I felt so at-ease as a solo. I say, "Go for it!"

(And give us a trip report!)

• MC, this is LD

I sometimes go solo on my family... Don't know if that counts, but it's sure as hell fun!!!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by evmo View Post
    part of my concern was getting weird looks from parents!
    Yeah, I know what you mean...I worried about that, too...but as long as you aren't behaving suspiciously (e.g. staring anyone of any age or gender for too long or mysteriously fumbling with a backpack), you should be fine. I'm not big on Fantasyland, but since the groups I go with never are either, I sometimes figure solo trips are the best time for fitting in one or two FL dark rides. I do get a few odd looks, but I try to just wear a self-deprecating smile and enjoy it as much as I can before spending a more fulfilling remainder of the day in more "adult" areas of the park. You're not gonna get strange looks while riding Indy, Pirates, Space Mountain, etc.

By the way I love your 3D models of the park, they kept me entertained for hours when I had the flu last month. Funny thing is I kicked around the idea of modeling the park with the original Half-life game engine years ago. Never materialized though.
    Oh, I'm so glad to hear that! Thanks for appreciating what I'm doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast