Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• First Time Disneylander

A first timer's trip to Disneyland and Hollywood with pictures

Ok, so I lied. I actually have been to Disneyland once before with my high school music department, but I spent my entire day there performing. So this was (pretty much) my first time to Disneyland. On with the report!

The Flight (skip this part if you don't want to hear me gripe about Delta airlines)
    We left Logan Airport in Boston at 6am (Eastern time), arriving in LA around 11am (Pacific time). The flight itself was fairly terrible. The stewardesses were impolite and the plane was dirty and in disrepair. Booking the flight was also a hassle as Delta changed our flight from a direct flight to a connecting flight in Utah. This wasn't a huge problem except for the fact that we only decided to fly with Delta because they offered a direct flight. They also changed our seats twice, so that my family was forced to sit apart. When we called customer service, the worker decided that she should hang up the phone on us because she couldn't do anything about it. After all, she told us that a computer "reconfigured the seating and computers don't think, you know."

Honestly, the flight home was great. I had a direct flight from LAX to Boston and the flight crew was fine. I will never fly with Delta again, though.

Los Angeles International Airport (the first palm tree I've seen in a year)

Disneyland Hotel
    After a terrifying ride from LAX using the Supershuttle service (you Southern California drivers are crazy), we arrived at the Disneyland Hotel. I don't have much to say about this hotel that hasn't been said before. It's expensive and doesn't stand up to Disney's standard of luxury and excellence. The rooms were nice but old. The proximity to the parks was my biggest disappointment. There is no adequate transportation and the hotel is actually quite a walk from the parks. Overall our stay there was pleasant and the service was as good (if not better) as I expect from Disney.

Disneyland Hotel Entrance (from Downtown Disney)

Disneyland Park
    Because I've been to WDW so many times, I was expecting this park to be very small. The only area that seemed considerably smaller in the park was Main Street. I grew up with the Florida park, so I'm biased, but I really did miss WDW's Magic Kingdom. I think the overall feel of the Florida park is better, but the individual rides in Disneyland are much better and more updated (with the exception of Splash Mountain).

Seeing Sleeping Beauty Castle for the first time...

And it's dented?

Looks like a kamikaze bird struck or a rocket flew off of Astro Orbitor...

Snow White's Wishing Well

I got this same greeting from my Supershuttle driver earlier that morning...

And now, the amazing, the stupendous, the incredible, the undescribable
    BACKSIDE OF SLEEPING BEAUTY CASTLE!

Or front side, if that's what you prefer to think

About to ride Dumbo for the first time

An elephant's eye view of Fantasyland:

Bathrroms near Village Haus at night

The new doors on Casey Jr. look great. They were still running one train with the old cloth doors, which look terrible in comparison.

Peter Pan (I'm undecided as to whether I like this version better than the version in WDW. I like the Neverland scenes better, but I think I like the London scene better in WDW.

Flowers in Fantasyland:

Does anyone know the name of these flowers. They were in the gradens outside of Peter Pan's Flight.

We sat and watched the parade from where this picture was taken. We got the Urula float parade stop

Sleeping Beauty Castle behind some beautiful blooming trees.

This photo was taken from around the same area

Another photo taken while waiting for the parade

Don't know if this was intentional, but it came out kind of pretty

Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams

The bubble machine was going crazy

Minnie blew me a kiss. Me and the mouse have a little somethin'

This was actually taken on Alice in Wonderland. We just happened to get on at the right time.

Tomorrowland

The new monorail is beautiful, but it was extremely loud.

Inside the monorail at night. See those purple lights near the top of the picture. Those are invisible and could only be seen through my camera. Anyone have any idea what they are for?

A snail at Tomorrowland terrace in the early morning

Astro Orbitor at night (my camera takes terrible night shots, sorry)

Quick toontown pic:

and onto the other side of the park!

New Orleans Square during the day

And at night

BTMRR (I love this)

Again, sorry for the grainy shot.

The canoes

Too bad the fort is closed, but overall, I feel like Dead Man's Grotto is a fantastic addition to the island. The rest of the pirate makeover wasn't bad either.

Captain Jack sparrow

More of the island. Fantasmic was amazing here. I think I may have sat near Kritter actually. We went to the 10:30 show, getting a seat immediately after the other show ended. I believe it was Thursday ( not sure) but Remember...Dreams Come True was cancelled due to high winds. We got a dead center seat for Fantasmic, though, and I loved it.

The Mark Twain

The Mark Twain skipper

Splash Mountain

This CM was terribly rude. When I didn't think he could be any worse, he pulled out his cell phone and began texting...

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies are great! I sat near the front and the lead singer commented on my Hollister shirt a few times, saying how Hollister was a great college and such. They were a riot and great to listen to.

The Mile High Chocolate Cake was amazing.

speaking of food:

Has anyone else ever done this? I didn't even notice I had bitten the wax paper until I looked down for another bite and had already swallowed it.

More flowers on Main Street

The Main street Train Station at night

I was fortunate enough to be there the day that the new Art of Disney stamps were issued. I didn't watch the presentation but got a set of signed first day of issue stamped envelopes.

More Coming Soon!
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Re: A first timer's trip to Disneyland and Hollywood with pictures

Nice shots. Like the day and night comparison.

You should show City Hall of the CM texting,

• MC, this is LD

Amazing trip report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can I emphasize the ! Exclamation points!?!?!?

How long were you there?

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Awesome shots! Love the parade pics. Keep them comin!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by drumbum67 View Post
    And it's dented?
    In my almost 40 years of going to Disneyland this is the first time I have seen this. This is horrible!!! Come on Disney FIX THIS NOW!!! I don't know if this is due to the addition and removal of the snow coverings to the Castle during the last holiday season, or if the roof is caving in naturally -- many parts of SBC has a wooden frame, so maybe it's the wood sagging from 53 years of natural exposure. Then again maybe it's from construction of the SBC walkthrough. Regardless Disney needs to fix this now!

And by the way, if you found out your airline was forcing you to make a stop before landing at LAX you really should have requested that you arrive at John Wayne instead. You would have had to make a stop if you were to go there anyway, but at about 10 miles away, traveling to and from the DLR from this airport is a lot less stressful.

Glad you had a nice trip though. Did you go to DCA?

• Fight On, Trojans!

Yay! I'm glad you got to go to Disneyland. Your pics are great. What was your favorite ride?

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Great fun to look at your photos. (And some of them post card-able!) Thanks for sharing.

• Proud Narnian

Traveling between Narnia, Camelot, and The Midlands

Great TR!!! Looking forward to more!

Thanks for all the friendly comments!
    Now on to DCA!

California Adventure
    I don't want repeat what everyone says about this park, but I will. I didn't like it. I spent a total of 8 days at DLR and spent less than a day here. It really needs that billion dollar makeover. I think that retheming the pier alone will begin to bring this park up to par. TSM is a great addition and you can really feel the attention to detail being put into this area. (For anyone who cares, I also noticed that fuzzy green plants were added to the planters around TSM, around the trees and such. No picture, sorry).
    There is a definate lack of pictures for this park. Maybe because I didn't feel much like taking pictures that day, or I just didn't feel like there was much to take pictures of, but please bear with me.

God I hated that ride...

The amazing removable ear. I really did love this ride. I agree that it's not an "E-Ticket" but it's amazing fun nonetheless.
    That's it for pics of DCA, sorry.

I thought that Aladdin was good. Without the genie,I feel that the show would be a dud. The other actors were good, but the genie was great. I heard that the show I went to had a brand new genie too! He was fantastic and I would have never known that it was his first show.

That's all I have to say for DCA, Hollywood is up next.

And to answer a question above, I was there for about 8 days, August 5-12.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Yaaaaaaaay!!!!! Awesome TR!

and you sat near next to me at Fantasmic?! Boy, do I feel special!

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    In my almost 40 years of going to Disneyland this is the first time I have seen this. This is horrible!!! Come on Disney FIX THIS NOW!!! I don't know if this is due to the addition and removal of the snow coverings to the Castle during the last holiday season, or if the roof is caving in naturally -- many parts of SBC has a wooden frame, so maybe it's the wood sagging from 53 years of natural exposure. Then again maybe it's from construction of the SBC walkthrough. Regardless Disney needs to fix this now!
    I think if I remember correctly, the turret was actually damaged when the crowns were being place on the Castle for the 50th Anniversary.

(The turret has been that way for quite some time now.)

I agree with you. I wish they would fix it. It bugs me every time I see it.

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

Hollywood
    This place was such a disappointment for me. I was expecting a tacky tourist spot, but it was so much worse. Hollywood Boulevard smelled terrible. The entire boulevard was dirty and disgusting overall. I did feel like there was life coming from the El Capitan and Kodak theater and the rest of the boulevard was feeding off of that life. The Chinese Theater seemed like it was also feeding off of that life, even though this is the main icon of hollywood. The walk of fame was falling apart and I was sad to see two of Walt Disney's stars in complete disrepair. Here are a few of my favorite stars and hand/footprints (not all of them of course):

The Chinese Theater

The beautiful El Capitan

The Disney Soda Fountain

I had one of the worst meals of my life here. The ice cream was good, the service was great, but the food was inedible.

Beautiful Hollywood architecture

My next stop was Pantages Theater to see Wicked. Wicked was better than I had imagined. If you ever have the opportunity to see this, do.

Sorry for the blur.

The Pantages theater was absolutely beautiful.

This theater was incredible.

Anaheim Gardenwalk and randomness up next!

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    Yaaaaaaaay!!!!! Awesome TR!

and you sat near next to me at Fantasmic?! Boy, do I feel special!
    I felt pretty special myself. Did you know the guy sitting to the right of you? He seemed incredibly friendly and made me chuckle a few times.

• Banned User

Wonderfully done!!!!!!!

Hey, did you check your flights before you left home? see they changed my flights for November 3 times already and I had them change them back. I was told they can and do change them all the time, and if you do not check, you could end up being here there and every where. heck they had me on different flights and hours etc. I want to stress to people always check your flights the day you leave. or your going to get a big suprise.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Your pictures are beautiful! I do have to agree, Hollywood is a bit of a let down. The era of beauty and glamour has long gone but I believe that it will come back to Hollywood blvd, one day...
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast