Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[8-18] Avoiding Block-Out Liberation Day? Not Quite!

I made this a Monday in the Parks in hopes of avoiding what would presumably be heavy attendance on the 17th when the SoCal'ers (of which I'm one) would be back. It was still on the crowded side, probably because people want to get in visits before school starts. (Here at home, school within the main districts started on the 18th.)

Was able to get away from the Olympics for just long enough, thanks to AVR and DVR. Not a whole lot went on to comment about, just plenty of picures. If you recall from my last TR, the camera I was using 101'd on me mid-trip. It's been recently succeeded by a very similar one (Canon 720; the last was a 570) with more zoom and a bit bigger optics overall. I'd be giving this a workout. (If/when I find a 570 that's nonworking in a different manner, I'll cannibalize the two and use it as a backup.)

Today was pretty chill, but certainly not chilly: it wasn't hot, but was miserably humid and dead calm, until things improved in the afternoon when it got a tad breezy and maybe the humidity laid off a bit. Didn't do a whole lot of rides this time (19 or so), and "hung out" a bit more than usual. Saw every major outside show/parade in both parks except for the first Fantasmic!.
    No real motives for this visit apart from TSMM, except another attempt at this:
    1: Get a picture with **********
    although it isn't a priority.

I got there at the earliest time so far: right about 9. To kick things off, a photo-op.

[Cruella] "What kind of fashion is this?"
    [Me] "Love the hair. I very nearly did this on Halloween once."
    [Cruella] "Have a wretched day."

(True about the hairdo; this was in 2001 going by ye olde staticblog. And it wouldn't have been with a wig! The rationale would have been "semi-distant relative". GS? Pfffft, who cares. I called it of though due to lack of opportunities to do anything/go anywhere worthwhile.)

I'd have a wretched day indeed--well, just a little bit of the day. But before the wretchedness, the usual warmup round of Buzz. Things were back to "normal" (relatively speaking) with BLAB today.

T-K-Four-Two-One, why aren't you at your post?

Now for the promised wretchedness. When attempting to get a Space Mountain fastpass, the stupid machine wigged out but still counted as my having one, so I was stiffed on FP's for half the morning. Later I would shrug off Indy (yet again) because of it. Aggravating, but ultimately trivial.

~~~~
    Because it was early, I was kinda curious about the "Dream Squad" and wandered around the castle to the lesser-visited areas. I don't really care at all about this YOAMD stuff, and truth be told, don't have any idea what this Dream Squad look like, other than having read they wear white. What I found instead was more interesting.

It sure is packed

Although it was comfortably non-busy for a while, leading up to noon it would begin to get quite crowded and be Friday-night-busy later on.

The wandering was interrupted by first (of 3) tea time of the day, and then resumed around PFF and Toontown.

More characters to be had, but no Photopass-ers so no pics possible.

~~~~
    At NOS
    One of the Big Three. This camera would be put through the rounds here. Although it's almost identical to the last one I had, it seems to have slightly better high-ISO performance despite an additional megapixel. It does have a bigger lens, and maybe a bigger CCD to go with it. (Bigger = less noise)

Timelapse

A "flash picture" in a sense, successfully gotten this time.

A flash picture. Not my flash, mind you. This was a 1/8-second shot that somebody's "red eye reduction" coincided with. There were plenty of flashes going off. Most of these I blame on "auto" flash mode on most digicams combined with people who haven't taken some time to learn how to properly use their cameras beforehand. You also have the "the flash will magically light up the world for my picture" concept that you see in effect at oh-so-appropriate places like Fantasmic! and during the fireworks.

Enjoying the spoils in the midst of an ISO-800 flurry

~~~~

Courtyard of Angels

The second of the Big Three. A low-light stress test if there ever was one.

Several-second timelapse. Unfortunately there isn't a good place on the doombuggy to use for stability.

The verdict is: this camera does have a small improvement in low-light performance.

~~~~
    Innoventions and the dream home. A sign of it getting busy was the 15+-minute wait, at around noon, to get inside.

The reflection made this look more like a closed-circuit view of Tomorrowland. It'd probably be better--and more interesting--if it actually was, maybe from a prominent viewpoint.

This still starts with an uber-annoying live infomercial that's hard to bypass because of everybody in the way. But after that, the "house" is pretty nice and all, but fairly similar as before exhibit-wise. A house like this would be too wired for my tastes. I'd want computer stuff in the house, not part of it.

So how would you give a wired house the three-fingered salute if you needed to?

These are motherboards

Above

Mirrored wall. I almost walked into this at first. Two CMs nearby seemed to be snickering under their breath when I did. Yes, it was funny.

~~~~

An idyllic day at Disneyland...or at least it looks that way

Up Next...
    First time on Thunder Mountain in a while, first time at TSI in a while, Mania at the Midway, Playing at the Parade, timelapses of DCA and sub lagoon at night, and lots more. The Olympics are taking up a good deal of my time, so it's getting done kinda leisurely.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: [8-18] Avoiding Block-Out Liberation Day? Not Quite!

Good stuff, but if the machine ate your FP just ask the CM at the entrance what happened right after and they'd give you another.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Don't mess with the duck!

Nice shots. Almost don't recognize some areas when there are no people in them.

• Brand new CM!

I really like your pictures!
    I Donald Duck!

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Excellent! You've got a good eye. Thanks for posting.

I was looking to see if I was in any of your pictures.... Haha, I was there that same day.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• Disney Starved in AZ

I was there too! Monday Tuesday and Wednesday!

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Wow. Neat pics. Keep them coming!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

Very nice!

Love the darkride photos!
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

Quote Originally Posted by dl_appurtenant
    I was looking to see if I was in any of your pictures.... Haha, I was there that same day.
    Isn't that fun?
    Still quite a few more to go--one or both of you could be in the background in one of those.

Thanks for the feedback; part 2 of 3 in the works.

Part II
    I was thinking about going over to DCA for a round of TSMM, but wanted to be back for the musical chairs at Coke Corner. But time would be limited if I did. I'd be going over to DCA later for the PPP anyway, so I just chose to chill out at DL instead.

I rode BTMRR which I hadn't been on since last year.

~~~~
    And then went over to TSI because it'd been a while. This was my first time over there at a time other than mid- or late-afternoon.

To activate this,
    Spoiler
    just touch the gold bar.

A cozy nook. (For a cat maybe, but things like this are inspiration)

~~~~
    Musical Chairs

Alice and Hatter were there, along with who I'm tentatively assigning the name Fabulous Pianist. (This might have been Fantastic Pianist, but I'm not sure yet.)

A little time before POD 1 for round 2 of 4 of Buzz.

The picture got dropped. But recognizing the people who were in line behind me made it easy to find this.

A hitch-hiking ghost from Haunted Mansion, maybe?

~~~~
    Parade of Dreams I
    Putting the spiffy 6x zoom to the test.

~~~~
    Now, it was a good time to head over to DCA.

Ballcap graveyard

Looking back to the last TR:

This was the last picture taken by the last camera before it quit altogether.

Too ashamed to show face? Rest assured, it wasn't your fault, dude.

I had the opportunity to have another rider who was single-riding compete alongside me.

Their accuracy was impressive. They shot selectively, compared to the rapid-fire cover-everything method I often use.
    I wanted to single-ride later, but it's still a complete and utter mystery how to go about doing it--been trying on a few different rides for several visits now. I asked one of the two CMs where the second line crosses over to the one, but they seemed somewhat bothered by the inquiry. I truly don't blame any CM though; these two were pretty well occupied with the line and managing the cross-traffic. Corporate can get the blame instead. Were the process essential, I'd be at the point of desperation by now. But thankfully it isn't and not really a point of stress.

~~~~
    Play Play, Play Parade
    This wasn't a good place to take pictures from, but got a few anyway.

Poor Jack's head's all black

Up Next...
    One more part left: lotsa timelapses, DEP, attempts at eating ice cream and taking pictures at the same time, and more.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Yay! Parade pics! Can't wait for more!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Nice report so far!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

This is great. Love your photos with the new camera.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Great TR so far!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast