Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

8/14-17 Universally Strange -- A Kuzcochik Trip Report

I'm getting so un-creative with my titles and stuff for these trip reports :P
    Oh well... I'll blame it on my end of summer funk. Classes start again next week and I'm definitely not psyced.

So, my aunt, who had had a horrible time at Disneyland back at the end of June, decided we had to make up for it by going last week. She, my mom and I jumped in the car and were on our way to the resort in the wee hours of the morning...

But as I am a sneaky Kuzcochik, I can't actually start this trip at Disneyland *le gasp!!* I know right?!
    We actually traveled the extra hour of so and started our trip at the U word! Universal Studios... *cue dramatic music* dun dun dun!!!

I hadn't been to Universal in a little over 3 years (the last time we went was during our Cali trip to Dl for the 50th). I kind of remembered why. With the exception of a few attractions, there's not much reason for me to visit the park more than that often.

It was also weird to me to go into a park that I don't know like the back of my hand. We bi-passed the house of horrors (I kind of miss the Van Helsing overlay) and ended up making our first stop the brand new Simpson's ride. I really like how much of the cartoon the incorperate... I was also kind of sickened at the fact I got every single reference... I watch too much Simpsons!

One of the fakey ride posters scatter about the queue

The layout of Krustyland

Poor Poor Doc Brown! We miss you!

Okay, this pic is terrible quality... but I thought it was funny how it looked just like the pic I took w/ Matt Groening at Comic Con (he didn't look that scared... maybe on the inside)

As for the Simpson's Ride... I really really enjoyed it! It's been a long time since I've gone on a ride and just been completely captivated, trying to see every single detail of every single second. The CG Simpsons were a little off putting, I'd rather they had been in the regular cartoon style but I guess it wouldn't look as "realistic" that way. There was a fairly coherent storyline (on a late ride I realized how much more of it the videos in the queue and waiting room help to set everything up... best part: Sideshow Bob taking out Barney w/ a day old hard as a rock churro)
    I don't know, I was really pleasantly suprised how much I liked it and how much I wanted to jump back on the ride. Okkay, gushing off (that's about all the gushing I'll do for this park)

We went and got lunch because we were straving and ran into the scrawniest Zorro I've ever met... and that girl... what's her name? Cathrine Zetta Jones

Then it was time for Shrek 4D. I laugh because the pre-show for that ride is the best part to me (but even that goes on too long). The ride itself is just kind of meh. It bugs me how there's no consistant POV... it's like you're the camera not a character w/in the story.

On our way to T2 3d (I have no pics, but that's one of the coolest 3D shows around!) We ran in Fievel!!! I was super excited

Downstairs we tried to die of heat stroke at Back Draft (that attractions funny because it's so dated... seriously I don't even think I've actually seen the movie Back Draft let alone the average guest)

And then on to the Land of the Lost.... err I mean, that other boat dinosaur thing

This was funnier to us at the time... it could have been the heat stroke and sleep deprivation combination. I was too short for the ride

Welcome to Jurassic Park... where the water effects were on high much to our distain (I hate getting wet on rides and generally JP's not that bad... unless it's a hot day and all the stupid squirting effects are on)

Rawr!

Oh no it's going to eat us... good thing there's a fall here for us to go down.

A fairly drenched Kuzcochik

This was taken after I shook out my hair animal style and made my mom mad... I was not happy to be drenched!

After that we rode Mummy twice. That ride just made me sad. It's a fantastic attraction, but half of the effects weren't working right, there were terrible back ups that made us think the ride had broken down and it was just in sad shape. (also Florida's is so much better!)

I was psyced cause i could see the WB watertower from the Universal Starway... I can't help but theink there are Warners up there... watching and waiting to make their move. What? I have issues I know!

better shot of the Tower while sitting on the tram

Zoinks! Funny enough we saw Scooby & Shaggy roaming about later that day

The devo-sta-sion!

Serenity mobiles

Deloreans

Oh no, it's the same flash flood that's been there forever... I don't know how we manage to get caught in that flashflood everytime I'm on that tram. Bad luck I guess

Woo-Ville looking sad and neglected

Weep weep weep weep! (that's the Psyco music for those that were unsure)

Okkay, I'd never seen this before. Norman Bates came out of the motel! He had some terrible dummy he stuffed in a truck and then came after the tram w/ a knife. Excellent touch.

War of the Worlds set

The fate of all strollers that get in my way! Mwha ha ha ha!

We decided to end the day w/ one more trip w/ the Simpsons

Apu selling his wares (at marked up theme park prices of course)

Itchy & Scratchy's Wheel o' Pain

The safety video with more call-backs to the ride that came before it

A quick stop to get my brother a shirt and we left the park for the night.
    We headed to City Walk to get dinner and ended up at Hard Rock Cafe (where one of the workers was the first to compliment my Freakazoid shirt... it made me happy... I'm a dork get over it :P)

We did a little shopping but miraculously I made it out of both the park & City Walk w/out spending any money!

Stop... Franky Time! Or Frankenstein trying to tell us to come back... or to stop... or he just wishes he had a camera so he could take and arm-length pic of himself like all the cool kids do

We jumped back in the car and drove down the busy Cali freeways back to Disneyland. After checking into our hotel (Paradise Pier) we hurried to the third floor where they pipe in music and watched the fireworks. it was pretty sweet!
    We headed back to our room and passed out.

coming up Day 2: With Actual Disneyland Pictures!!!!!

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Re: 8/14-17 Universally Strange -- A Kuzcochik Trip Report

Great TR, Kuzcochik! I like the pictures of the burned parts of the backlot- that was really cool! I'm glad you liked the Simpsons ride- I'm dying to see that! And your commentary gave me some chuckles

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

You cut your hair! It looks super cute. Your Universal Studios portion of the trip report is great, especially Feivel. Can't wait to see more.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

And then on to the Land of the
    Lost.... err I mean, that other boat dinosaur thing
    This image has been resized. Click to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.

I'm sure you heard, that they are working on a Land of the Lost movie, in one of the Universal Sound Stages, due for release next summer! I can't wait. Maybe they can do a temporary makeover of Jurassic Park into Land of the Lost! The waterfall at the end works great with the story!

Oh, you ever notice how similar the Freakazoid outfit is to The Incredibles outfits?!?!?!?!

(By the way, your haircut is adorable!)

These pictures are great! And your captions are funny. Can't wait to see the Diseny Land photo's!

And seriously, Freakaziod and Animanics where like the best, I havn't seen them in forever though

• Cherry Tart

A Norman Bates face character? That IS cool! =D

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

• Mrs. J. Depp

Love your short hair! Looking forward to the Disneyland pictures!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Cool Universal Studios pics. Can't wait for the DL TR!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Awesome KC, can't wait for more!!!

Blog Entries

Nice Trip Report, If the rest is as good as the first I say A+

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Nice report so far, can't wait to see more!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Keepin' it calsteady

I can't wait for Micechatters MrLiver and Datameister to analyze the layout of Krustyland. Definitely not a hub-and-spoke layout. Could it be a modified figure-8?! Stay tuned for complete analysis!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    The layout of Krustyland

• I'm not really here

Awesome TR! Thanks for the photos! I haven't been to Universial in 10 years now. =D

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the comments and compliments guys (my personal jury is still out on my hair... it's much shorter than I wanted it but I'm getting use to it)

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I'm sure you heard, that they are working on a Land of the Lost movie, in one of the Universal Sound Stages, due for release next summer! I can't wait. Maybe they can do a temporary makeover of Jurassic Park into Land of the Lost! The waterfall at the end works great with the story!

Oh, you ever notice how similar the Freakazoid outfit is to The Incredibles outfits?!?!?!?!

(By the way, your haircut is adorable!)
    I did know they were making a LotL movie. I'm not sure if I'm all that thrilled. I'm not a huge Will Ferrell fan (plus I saw what he did to Bewitched) but I love Anna Friel so, who knows.
    And yes! Freakazoid & Mr. Incredible have like the same symbol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clawdee View Post
    And seriously, Freakaziod and Animanics where like the best, I havn't seen them in forever though
    That is the glory of television on DVD my friend. All my favorite shows whenever I want them Even funnier now than when I originally saw them all

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    A Norman Bates face character? That IS cool! =D
    I know right?!
    Also, you're an extremely hard woman to track down/find when I'm actually looking for you and not running into you randomly at comic book conventions

Okkay, enough of that. On to Disneyland.

The morning started early over in Tomorrowland. One of the things about going with my family is the weird little traditions we have. One of my mom's fav rides is Space Mountain so for as long as i can remember it's the ride that signifies the beginning of a Disney trip to me. Rushing through space gives me the thrill and elation that I'm actually in Disneyland
    Afterwards we headed to Indy (figuring we'd hit it early before the crazy crowds) and then to the Jungle Cruise. As we pulled into the dock, my mom got a phone call from my dad. Turns out he and my brother had jumped in the car at 3am and driven out ot meet us (which was cool, except that they hadn't thought to invite Darkwing Chuck who we'd been trying to get to come w/ us all week. C'est la vie)
    We jumped on Pirates while the boys did Indy and then headed over to DCA (despite my advise) to try and do early morning Midway Mania

The line said it was 60 min when we finally got through the throngs of people to the attraction. It ended up being more like 40.
    so while we waited.. here's some random pier shots
    Soon to be yesterday land

I really don't know why they're getting rid of that sun... like I think a big Mickey face is going to be uber tacky

Potato Head is still far too cool. I love when he taps his toes

My best score of the trip... I got progressively worse at the game the more I played

We hit up Tower and Monsters and headed to the Animation Building to see the Zoetrope since my dad and I were the only ones who had seen it.
    My brother's reaction was priceless. He looked at it like it was the dumbest thing ever and then the strobe came on and his jaw fell to the floor. He couldn't stop watching it

Heading back over to Disneyland, my mom, aunt and i went to Blue bayou for our reservations. As we waited, Jack Sparrow ran in to the lobby (the one that runs away from everyone...) and when the CM asked a guest for their name Jack piped in with "S-P-A-R-R-O-W" and the CM asked how big his party was and he said "36... I'm taking the whole crew to dinner" then he ran away.

Inside the Bayou. We were water front... but in that small table closest to the load dock of the ride. It was nice though

you can't really tell from this pic, but my dad and brother are in the front row of the boat. We were two seconds from leaving and I get a text that says to stay were we are. They pulled out and we all waved at each other like big dorks. It was fun.... my family's weird

Next stop was Haunted Mansion

My mom, dad and aunt decided to head back to the hotel so Dan and I ran over to Space Mountain
    Another picture that perfectly sums up our lovely relationship (no, really, I do love the dork, even if I'm obligated by blood relations

I then proceeded to kick his butt on Buzz Lightyear. You can see in this pic that in order to catch up to my score he was trying to shoot at the same stuff I was

We headed back to Midway (where he did beat me, but there's no proof so :P)
    Then met back up w/ my parents at the Winery. I bought some pins and then we decided to stick around at watch PIXAR Play

I love the costumes in this parade.

Mike A-kow-ski (that was suppose to be how Boo says it... whatever, you do it better!! )

I love that it looks like the back of his head is on fire... or like he has long wavy fire hair

The chefs are one of my favorite parts of the parade. They're so over the top

I also love the bouncing rats. The one on the side closest to us is always really flirty for some reason.... it's kind of strange but hilarious (and Emilie at the bottom was so so so energetic! The parade had to pause briefly and he was still dancing like crazy)

Nemo was either laughing or fell asleep... not sure which

I love when the puppet performers faces match the characters expressions

Crazy jelly girls

His wings are so little!

This was the first time I saw the parade w/ the full Bug's Life Float. pretty cool

Ooh ooh! Go buzz girls!

Also the first time I'd seen the swinging part of the TS float. Really really cool!

Mater w/ his crazy hat

We decided it was time to take a look at the Innoventions Dream House. It's so weird seeing a line for Innoventions! Like scary weird

I want these!

Oh Tom Morrow! You're still here and still creepy as ever. I even watched as he passed and was scared to see he still does the thing where he stares at his hands when no ones around and then looks straight up at you *shiver*

The preshow stuff was pretty lame but what are you going to do, it is Innoventions after all.

Dan playing with one of the panels

The Dream House was okay but nothing spectacular. I couldn't seem to get my timing right. Everytime I came back to a room they were just ending a presentation. My favorite part... that the pre-programmed music has The B52's Cosmic Thing CD

After choosing not to brave Nemo, we grabbed dinner at Village Hause and then my mom and brother left. My Dad, aunt and I decided to stick around for Fantasmic... I will never be sick of that show

A pirate ship is far superior to native americans... sorry Florida

It kind of looks like Ariel's on Fire

BWHA HA HA HA!

Afterwards we rushed off through Main Street as the Fireworks blared overhead. Luckily we hit the hub just as the Haunted Room Was Actually Stretching.
    But we made it back to the hotel and totally collapsed!

Saturday up next

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Nice report, keep it coming!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM