Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• no flash photography...

Re: Sadness at Snow White's Wishing Well

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Seriously. If these little things are so terrible (thread worthy)....don't go to DL for a while. Maybe wait months between trips (like a LOT of us have to do -- maybe wait a year even) and then, DL will be bright, happy and new for you! Even if there's dirt on the fish in the Snow White area! You won't care, because you'll be SO happy to be there again. Try to see DL through the eyes of some of us not as fortunate to go there so often.
    I totally agree and I do go about once a month and still don't nit pic everything about the park. If I ever start doing that i will take a long break....the fish have been way worse int he past....they do get cleaned. It's not a big deal.
    Last edited by SCUBAbe; 08-24-2008 at 07:10 AM.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    part of the appeal of metal works in water is the unique antique-looking patinas the metal develops. are we sure this surface the fish have delveloped isn't intentional? i thought the ariel and trition figures in the fountain looked wonderful.
    Part of the reason it is so noticable is that the fish are a brilliant white stone that matches the beautiful white stone statues above. It's algae, natural process for anything in water. I honestly wish they would have used metal statues (copper to be more specific) because that would have had the aged patina you describe.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• First Time Disneylander

I know it's a little late to butt into the thread, but I've only been to Disneyland once, and when I saw those fish, they actually did bother me a little. Not because I am a doomsday prophecisor, thinking Disney is going to pot, but really expect everything at Disney to be spotless and perfect. I know it's a lot to ask, but it's the reputation Disney has, and has had for me ever since I was little. Since most things in Disney are perfect and spotless, something like this really sticks out to me as bad show.
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

• no flash photography...

maybe they should go back to being closed twice a week to ensure the park is spotless...maybe they should cut back hours of operation to have more time to clean.

yes, DL used to be spotless, but they also used to have a lot more time to keep it that way.

• First Time Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    maybe they should go back to being closed twice a week to ensure the park is spotless...maybe they should cut back hours of operation to have more time to clean.

yes, DL used to be spotless, but they also used to have a lot more time to keep it that way.
    I think the point here is that these fish needn't get this far. Cleaning them on a biweekly basis with a toothbrush might take 20 minutes, and then solve this problem altogether.
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

• "I Break Things"

Wow, I really didn't expect a 3 page fiasco over stains on a few fish. It wasn't the end of the world, it didn't ruin a trip. I wasn't screaming to the world that Disneyland's standards have fallen. I didn't beat a path to City Hall demanding that the park be completely restored in the manner Walt expected. I noticed that the fish looked really bad. I brought it to the attention of several CM friends. They then suggested that I post accordingly on here BECAUSE Disney reads the boards. Disney has bumped up schedules in the past because of postings ON HERE. I'm sorry if my posting was seen as a nitpick that ruined the magical image of Disneyland.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Thumbs up Re: Sadness at Snow White's Wishing Well

Thanks TechSkip for pointing out the issues with the Grotto.
    It is because of people such as yourself a former CM who loves Disneyland and cares about the "Little things" that together add up to make the show so special. Hopefully someone with real "Authority" on the "Show" will see these images and place it on the "To Do list" of repair items.

There are two groups and perhaps more on MiceChat, the DisneyFans that to them Disney can never do any wrong (generally the people that live far far away and Disneyland and Disneyworld visit is a rare occurance. So pointing out bad show, sorta ruins the vibe. I can understand that.

Then there are those who live close to either park and have the privelage of experiencing the park frequently or at least semi frequently. A majority of us are the ones that may be seen as the "Whiners" and "Complainers" truth is we love Disneyland more then words could ever explain, we love "Good Show" we respect and appreciate Walt Disney's visions and hopes.
    We know how much a good presentation and good show meant to Walt and it was constantly reinforced to the cast on a daily basis (based on testimony from former park cast members and company artists and W.E.D cast (employees)

At least with myself and others we have seen how the incompetence at the corporate level has made the parks management seem to forget the importance of good show and has severely lacked on this aspect in more ways then one (things were on a serious upswing on the leadup to the 50th under leadership of Mr. Matt O. Although we know that currently the park could be doing a lot better in certain respects to the show in maintenance, set painting and Cast Member training and treatment (i.e CM break rooms, food facilities, transportation, presentation etc.)

We know things could be so much better and frankly for a $70 dollar single day one park entrance ticket I expect the "Show to come first"

Just because you may offer a 5 year old parade, Fire Works show and 15 year old river show for $70 does not mean you can just forget about all the other aspects of the park that really make it special.

I know these threads may be disappointing, hurtful or annoying (or all of the above) to some fans, but sometimes the truth hurts and you can always skip the thread.

If Al Lutz in his update, never focused on some of the negative aspects of what was being planned in certain redesigns of attractions or removals of certain show elements, much worse things would have happened to some of our and our children's favorite attractions.

Thank you TechSkip for sharing your story about the Grotto.
    I sure hope someone will take care of that aspect of the set over in that area, it is a special place.

Heres to hoping the "Little things" like the paint and general upkeep of the exterior show sets are given a higher priority once again like in the year 2005. It is hopefully because of these posts creating public scrutiny and lighting a fire in the Disney corporate bean counters cubical, that when someone visits on there once in 5 year trip that the park is beautiful, clean and welcoming.

This is about the "show" this is about preserving the "Magic" for all to enjoy.
    If we just sat idly the park would surely turn into a expensive "Mall" far faster then we would ever imagine.

Remember the words of the founder of the Park and the visionary Walt Disney.

"Disneyland is a show." -Walter E. Disney

"Give the public everything you can give them, keep the place as clean as you can keep it, keep it friendly." -Walter E. Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved." -Walter E. Disney

"Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards - the things we live by and teach our children - are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings." -Walter E. Disney

"I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they're in the Park (Disneyland). I want to feel they're in another world." -Walter E. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -Walter E. Disney

"Anything that has the Disney name to it is something we feel responsible for." —Walter E. Disney

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role." -Walter E. Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I try not to nitpick I really really do... but sometimes I feel a responsibility to point something like this out.
    To Techskip: great post!

To DL maintenance: elbow grease!

To those who don't like it when DL fans post complaints: don't read 'em!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• =)

Yep yep, it's certainly a valid annoyance if infrequent visitors are bothered by so-called nitpicks. I've been in that position, and to a certain extent, I still am. It feels like these people are so fortunate to go all the time, so why should they be unappreciative and complain? But there's also a lot of validity to techskip's position--go to the park, have a great time, and be appreciative of the experience and fortunate opportunity, but also make note of things that could be better. It doesn't have to be an end-of-the-world scenario...just an honest look at things that could be improved.

If you're one of the people in the first category, think of it this way: perhaps someone else's reasonable and gracious complaint will lead to the problem being fixed before your next trip. Cool, right?

• I'm not really here

My point was just that so many people (not only you) do nitpik the park, and, it's sad to those of us who don't have the luxury of popping in there every week or month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Come on, guys...I know there are plenty of folks around these parts who'll complain about everything, especially when you put them together...but techskip ain't one of 'em. He rarely nitpicks about stupid stuff
    Tech is very incredibly rarely negative in any way at all... and this is incredibly minor. He is not nitpicking. I get to go to the parks once ever 18 months or so. Some even less than me, and you know what? We appreciate the fact that some people who get to go more often are interested in keeping the parks as spick and span as possible. This didn't ruin techskip's trip at all. It is simply, as he said, a post so that maybe one of the Disney monitors will notice this. The park is pretty large and they don't always catch things right away on walkthroughs.

I still do not understand, after nearly 2 1/2 years of being a member here why people who "can't stand all the negative nitpicking threads" still read the threads, get upset and then post on here. I'm not directing this at I Heart Disneyland", I just quoted that because I also don't get to pop in ever few weeks.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Yeah, because THAT is what I meant in my post! I always comment on your darling reports and beautiful children & family. I enjoy them a lot.

My point was just that so many people (not only you) do nitpik the park, and, it's sad to those of us who don't have the luxury of popping in there every week or month.
    Some of us nitpick these details because we actually love the park. It doesn't hurt anyone by mentioning this on a discussion forum and I don't know why some of you get offended so easily by someone simply pointing out repairs needed. If these things were never watched closely you wouldn't have a pretty Disneyland to visit. How easily some of you forget the condition of the park back in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    There are two groups and perhaps more on MiceChat, the DisneyFans that to them Disney can never do any wrong (generally the people that live far far away and Disneyland and Disneyworld visit is a rare occurance. So pointing out bad show, sorta ruins the vibe. I can understand that.

Then there are those who live close to either park and have the privelage of experiencing the park frequently or at least semi frequently. A majority of us are the ones that may be seen as the "Whiners" and "Complainers" truth is we love Disneyland more then words could ever explain, we love "Good Show" we respect and appreciate Walt Disney's visions and hopes.
    We know how much a good presentation and good show meant to Walt and it was constantly reinforced to the cast on a daily basis (based on testimony from former park cast members and company artists and W.E.D cast (employees)
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 08-24-2008 at 11:57 AM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

are they supposed to be white like the statues... or is that oxidation/deposits over bronze?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Disneyland used to be open 7 days a week during the summer, 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. It was spotless at rope drop, and remained very nearly so at the clearing of the last guest from Main Street, considerably after 1 a.m.

Disney used to have a lot more people in top management who believed that keeping the park spotless was an important part of the show. People who weren't afraid to put their maintenance budgets where their mouths were.

And that's the difference.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    are they supposed to be white like the statues... or is that oxidation/deposits over bronze?
    I believe they are marble or something like that to match the Dwarves and Snow White.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Ahem... I'm just hoping that each of you turn around, after you look at the poor, dirty fish (which I totally agree need to be cleaned), make a wish and drop a few coins in the wishing well. I'm hoping too that all you wishes and dreams come true.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast