Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• white and nerdy

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean R.I.P.

It will be interesting to see what people say about the new overlay. It is obvious that no matter how good it is there are certian people who will hate it no matter what. There are also people who will love it no matter what.

I think it will be very hard for die-hard disney fans to have an objective opinion on it. Perhaps the most accurate response will be from the casual visitor...

(by the way, if I had to go to the parks with either the one who hates everything new no matter what or the person who will enjoy themselves no matter what... well, it doesnt take a Walt Disney to know who would be more enjoyable)
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Disney Memory Maker

i think my point is... why do people have to do it to this ride..
    Ummmm, because a Johnny Depp AA wouldn't make sense in Splash Mountain.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    Disagreeing with you completely! Months before Pirates came to theaters, tons of reviewers were saying "Pirate movies don't stand a chance. There is some sort of weird curse on all Pirate movies. You have to go back over 50 years for the last somewhat successful pirate movie." Practically everyone was dogging even the idea of a Pirate movie.

This movie has so many memorable moments. These include THE BEST entry of ANY character in ANY movie with Captain Jack Sparrow stepping onto the dock. And the special effects were astounding with the various changes from cursed pirates in and out of moonlight! And the unforgetable Barbosa's "You best start believing in Ghost stories ....." There are so many things in this movie that make it one of the very best to every come out of Hollywood.

Of course a terrific director, and fantastic actors, certainly add so much, BUT a large portion of the success goes to the storywriters, with an interesting story (Walt thought that was important) with a different twist at every turn.
    oh I'll admit it did a great job for a pirate movie and it did have a few memorable moments I just don't feel the concept and moments were enough to really push it into the classic catagory

it didn't sell of pure hype or pop either it sold because it was a legitimately good movie for it's time

I tend to be wary of computer effects though as they tend to be the first to outdate and the skeletons impress me less all the time (admitedly they'll last longer then the far to overdone starwars prequals)

it just seems to me that it didn't hit that unforgettable film area were you see people remeberingi t and referencing it years from now

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah
    Walt's dream is dead. Make way for the era of movie tie-ins. Animatronic Johnny Depp and his crew of overrated actors are setting sail for the promotional seas and they won't stop until they've burned and pillaged all that remains of this great attraction. Light a candle for the classic POTC because the dream is dead.

For the record, movie related Pirates in the ride SUCKS! Nothing is safe.

Future park updates include:

Lindsey Lohan's Castle
    Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion
    Great Moments with Mr. Bruckheimer
    Toucan Sam's Fruity Tiki Room
    Barbie's Small World
    What the F---. Sure, I liked to PotC movie, but I don't want them to mesh the two projects together. Who ever came up with the idea of putting the movie characters in the ride is a complete moron and I can't wait until they leave the company, even more than I can't wait for Eisner's departure.

• Minion

This is why many hardcore Disney Fans would kill a Disney park if they ran it. Nothing would ever change, everything would be all about nostalgia and homages to Walt, and the park would fail...

Change is good, Walt welcomed change. Would he approve of these few upgrades? Who knows? I bet he would though, seeing as he did that for other attractions. You can't compare the PC additions and the Movies ones, they are two totally seperate examples, and they were done for two totally seperate reasons. Anytime something is turned "Politically Correct", it compromises what made the subject interesting... However, adding a few AA's can only enhance the ride, even if they absolutely suck, POTC isn't becoming POTC The Movie Ride.

If you want to keep everything the same, then buy some stock and own a piece of the company. As long as the change is tasteful, I think the ride will be great. The movie already broke new ground when it came out. What was so "pop culture" about it? It was the first Pirate movie in how many years? And it was successful. Plus the movie tied in so well with Ride that it's not hard to imagine the new characters fitting in perfectly...

And to all the people that seem to use the Eddie Murphy in HM theory to add cred. to their opinions... The Haunted Mansion movie sucked... Pirates didn't.

STOP JUDGING BEFORE THE RIDE IS EVEN CLOSED, IT MAKES YOU SOUND SILLY!

• Disney Memory Maker

You know, I'd never thought I'd see the day when Disney fans were against Disney putting money into Audio-Animatronics and adding to the park. Any person who complains about this, don't ever complain about Disney being cheap or not adding to the parks.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• oh bugger

In defense of others, even if they don't share my same opinion about the ride changes. The complaint isn't about Disney being cheap... well not financially cheap, but creatively cheap. I agree that in the grand scheme of things this isn't the most creative venture in the world, but I wouldn't go as far as saying imagination and Walt's dream are dead. If I had to choose between an original E/D-ticket or updating POTC with movie AA's I'd choose the new original ride.

From the looks of it they are bringing the entire park up to snuff again before moving on. Taking care of what they already have before they go crazy with new stuff. After a decade of disrepair the park needs the fresh coats of paint and enhancements to older rides because they haven't received them in so long. I think once all the rides have gone through a major update, like subs, and space, and HM have or are getting, then it will be time to move on to bring in new original concepts.

From the looks of it they are taking that similar approach to DCA, fixing up the Hollywood Backlot area first. It's important to make sure what you have is the best thing ever before you start just adding new things to make up for the lack of quality in the other things (speaking towards DCA now).

• Social Imagineer

This movie [Curse of the Black Pearl] has so many memorable moments. These include THE BEST entry of ANY character in ANY movie with Captain Jack Sparrow stepping onto the dock.
    Um, you may not realize it (along with most of the current generation), but that bit was a direct lift from a far earlier film (whose title I cannot recall, as it was before even my oldtimer's time). Not an homage, mind you - but an absolute steal.*

That doesn't detract from it, but illustrates the concern of those who fear that future generations will think that Walt Disney always had a pirates ride that was all about the exploits of Captain Jack Sparrow, and that the original plot line of genius invented by Mr. Disney will be lost to the ages.

Just as the filmmakers of that old, unremembered film might be miffed that their cool gag is mis-remembered as being from the Johnny Depp movie, a total reworking of the ride (as Al Lutz implied) could be seen as disrespectful to Walt Disney - - and needlessly wiping out a Rembrant classic for a Cynthia Harris original sofa painting.

* The bit in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy slides himself under a moving truck is also a steal from an earlier film that no one much remembers. It's done all the time in movies, but it's a shame that the creativity gets attributed to people who simply ripped off the idea.

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Thumbs down Re: Pirates of the Caribbean R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    You people crack me up sometimes. Walt never wanted a museum, but an ever expanding and changing place for new idea's. People like you would rather have a mule ride for an E-ticket instead of the Big Thunder Rail Road, and that simply wont sell tickets. Also Walt pioneered movie tie-ins!!!

Im saying this in the most kind possible manner. Get over yourself. Please
    I never said I knew what Walt wanted, no one does. I am suggesting that the ride that Walt worked so hard is going to be altered (again).

My main grief with current Disneyland and DCA attractions is this:

Must everything be tied to a movie?

This is the point I'm trying to make. A classic has the potential to be ruined because of the need to keep things contemporary. Why change what's already perfect?

For the record I like movie themed rides (as my username would suggest). But changing an original ride to tie in with a film reaks of shameless promotion.
    Last edited by Sallah; 08-31-2005 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Do people who do not think POTC should change also think that Sub Voyage and Star Tours too should not change so they can be more up-to-date?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah
    I never said I knew what Walt wanted, no one does. I am suggesting that the ride that Walt worked so hard is going to be altered (again).

My main grief with current Disneyland and DCA attractions is this:

Must everything be tied to a movie?

This is the point I'm trying to make. A classic has the potential to be runined because of the need to keep things contemporary. Why change what's already perfect?

For the record I like movie themed rides (as my username would suggest). But changing an original ride to tie in with a film reaks of shameless promotion.
    I agree with you about movie rides. I hate that idea, and I love originality. That's why I have mixed feelings about Nemo Subs. But if they are simply adding a few effects to a ride that doesn't compromise the feel, atmosphere, or story of the ride? Hey, go ahead. And I highly doubt that these new effects will "ruin" a classic attraction. The PC version didn't and that change was horrible...

• Fastpass Hater

So what's this storyline again during the pirate scenes? Pirates attacking the town, dunking the mayor, selling and chasing the women, then burning down the town? If they change that I won't know whats going on because every part relies on the other. Oh wait, every part is pretty much independent of the other with no recurring characters. How does adding 2 Characters change anything?

• Social Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    This is why many hardcore Disney Fans would kill a Disney park if they ran it. Nothing would ever change, everything would be all about nostalgia and homages to Walt, and the park would fail...
    But that's where you are dead wrong .... hardcore Disney Fans would most likely try to run the Park in what they perseived of as a Walt Mode, i.e., adding new attractions CONSTANTLY.

There was never a need in Walt's day to add little trinkets to existing rides. And that's because new rides were added every year! It might be in someone's supposed Walt Mode to bulldoze Nature's Wonderland and replace it with Big Thunder Mountain. Or to bulldoze all the Fantasyland dark rides and replace them with completely updated versions. But mostly it would be about adding and adding and replacing, not tinkering with past successes.

And when, over time, tinkering with huge hits seemed appropriate to keep things fresh - - then hardcore Disney Fans might know the difference between a floating Leota head and a floating Jennifer Tilly head.

There's a big difference to be had if Barbossa commandeers the Pirate ship and we lose "Avast there ya lily-livered lubbers!," and other classic lines - vs. having Capt'n Jack sitting smugly in the background of a jail cell whilst more restless pirates continue, as they always have, to jeer at that clueless dog.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Disagreeing with you completely! Months before Pirates came to theaters, tons of reviewers were saying "Pirate movies don't stand a chance. There is some sort of weird curse on all Pirate movies. You have to go back over 50 years for the last somewhat successful pirate movie." Practically everyone was dogging even the idea of a Pirate movie.

This movie has so many memorable moments. These include THE BEST entry of ANY character in ANY movie with Captain Jack Sparrow stepping onto the dock. And the special effects were astounding with the various changes from cursed pirates in and out of moonlight! And the unforgetable Barbosa's "You best start believing in Ghost stories ....." There are so many things in this movie that make it one of the very best to every come out of Hollywood.

Of course a terrific director, and fantastic actors, certainly add so much, BUT a large portion of the success goes to the storywriters, with an interesting story (Walt thought that was important) with a different twist at every turn.
    Agreed! My four boys are crazy about this movie. And I really like it too. Can't wait for the sequel(s).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Do people who do not think POTC should change also think that Sub Voyage and Star Tours too should not change so they can be more up-to-date?

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast