Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean R.I.P.

^actually, reading biographies and about his life in the net you get to actually know Walt, its called READING!!!!!!

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67
    !

And don't tell me what Walt would want. You don't know what Walt would want. I don't know what Walt would want. The current Imagineers certainly don't know what Walt would want. You have an opinion so state it. Don't embelish it with a fake endorsement from a genius that died almost forty years ago.
    so you are saying Walt wouldn't like it?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Disney Memory Maker

1) I think CotBP AA's in PotC (need any more letters? would be great. In the short term, they'd bring more people in, and in the long term, they will look like regular pirate-like people not interfering with the ride at all.

2) For all those complaining about movie tie-ins...well, Walt did the same thing. Why on earth did he name his castle Sleeping Beauty Castle (and not Snow White castle...which would have made more sense)? It was to promote his upcoming film Sleeping Beauty. Movie tie-ins have always been a part of the Disney parks. Peter Pan, Snow White's Scary Adventures, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, King Arthur's/Cinderella's Golden Carousel, etc... This is nothing new.

And don't tell me what Walt would want. You don't know what Walt would want. I don't know what Walt would want. The current Imagineers certainly don't know what Walt would want.
    I agree with this. No matter how much you know about him, nobody could predict what he would do next... not even his own wife, children or brother.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Pirates has been my favorite since I was a child but I agree it could use some updating. I think that if it's tastefully done as to blend in with the existing ride and not stand out and overshadow the "classic" feel of it, that's fine. They made all of the "PC" changes a few years ago and while at first I was kinda bugged about it, I really don't pay much attention to it now since it doesn't detract from the overall immersiveness and quality of the ride. Any change they make, as long as it's not drastic, will eventually blend in and be accepted.
    -Steve

• Social Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183
    ^actually, reading biographies and about his life in the net you get to actually know Walt, its called READING!!!!!!
    No, you don't get to know Walt from a book. Anymore than reading a biography of me would get you to know enough about innerSpaceman so that you could say what I WOULD WANT forty years after my death.

It's absurd. Stop bringing up What Walt Would Want and What Walt Would Do. It does nothing but make you look like a fool.

Some of the original pirates may have been based on imagineer's faces, but they were heavily characaturized. Is the same going to be done to AA figures of Depp and Rush so that they are pretty much unrecognizable as the actors they want to tie-in with? And do we even know that these high-paid superstars have consented to have their likenesses put on Disneyland robots? Or are we going to end up - like Adventureland's Indy which looks nothing like Harrison Ford (per his orders!) - with pirates that look nothing like the original pirates, nothing like the World of Motion replacement pirates, and nothing like the actors from the Pirates movie series?
    Last edited by innerSpaceman; 08-30-2005 at 12:25 PM.

• Banned User

I wish they would GUT the florida version of POTC and replace it with a ride based on the movie.

• oh bugger

I don't think it will matter either way if the AA figures look like Depp and Rush's characters in the films or not. If they do people will appreciate the reference and most likely the average guest will think it is kinda neat. For new generations who have seen the movie but maybe not been to the park yet, it will be fun to see those characters you've only seen in film in real AA life. Much like meeting Mickey for the first time, seeing this character from tv and movies in real life, its what makes Disneyland so magical, your imagination, and film characters can come to life.

If you can't tell it's exactly Depp or Rush, but you get the impression that it is Barbosa and Sparrow it would blend in even more, so people afraid of this change wouldn't even need to worry, it would just be new fresh looking, and working AA figures in the ride.
    Last edited by jurgenb52; 08-30-2005 at 12:50 PM. Reason: grammer mistake

I can't help but imagine that if Jack Sparrow is in the ride, he'll spend the entire time turning and winking to the audience, telling you about what's going on, like Indy does in the Temple of the Forbidden Eye... The thing is, that's fine in the Indy ride; it was designed with the story firmly in place that Indy was rescuing you - a dumb bunch of tourists - from a huge temple. In POTC you're not playing a role in the story - yes you're enveloped by it on all sides, but you're still just an observer.

If we just get to witness a couple extra comedy Jack Sparrow moments from our observer point of view, that would be fine, possibly great. The ride is already about a bunch of pirates being goofy and slightly inept, and that's what Jack is all about. If he's showing us around or always turning to us telling us what's going on (which seems incredibly likely), it will be pretty grating.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    I don't think it will matter either way if the AA figures look like Depp and Rush's characters in the films or not. If they do people will appreciate the reference and most likely the average guest will think it is kinda neat. For new generations who have seen the movie but maybe not been to the park yet, it will be fun to see those characters you've only seen in film in real AA life. Much like meeting Mickey for the first time, seeing this character from tv and movies in real life, its what makes Disneyland so magical, your imagination, and film characters can come to life.

If you can't tell it's exactly Depp or Rush, but you get the impression that it is Barbosa and Sparrow it would blend in even more, so people afraid of this change wouldn't even need to worry, it would just be new fresh looking, and working AA figures in the ride.
    Couldn't have stated it better myself. Agree 100%.

• On Autopilot

I don't think it will be THAT bad.

What WOULD be bad is if they totally trashed the ride and brought it back as JUST the movie. We'd loose a terrific attraction AND be mad!

I'm thankful that they're just adding a few AAs and not "refurbishing" the whole thing.

• Mice Chat Newbie

I dont' think the ride would change that much - adding a Jack Sparrow at the end would be quite amusing. AND if it sucked really, really bad, Disney would be forced to change it. As long as they don't mess with "Don't be cheeken" audio, I'll be okay.

WDW's Pirated *does* need some enhancements. It lacks something and The Magic Kingdom deserves better.

• Minion

I really don't think this will be a big deal AT ALL! Unless suddenly the ride becomes ABOUT Sparrow etc., I don't think that this will be a problem. I think it will be much more like- "Look, that's Jack Sparrow! How cool!"- and then on with the rest of the ride. If the new figures act as narrators throughout the ride and address the guests (which I doubt) then yes, I think that will detract. But Pirates is such a huge detailed, multi-layered experience that adding something more to look at can't hurt. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some people who come off the ride saying- "Look, those must have been what the characters in the movie were based on" and not realize that the figures are new. As long as it's done subtly, I support it.

I definitely think that diehard Disney fans are way too resistant to any change. I hear people saying "Pirates doesn't need it" and I can't help thinking "No, of course it doesn't. Disneyland shouldn't become all about only what's needed. If there seems to be any way to improve the guest experience (which this likely will) then Disney should go ahead and do it." Did Haunted Mansion need any upgrades. Nope. And when it was announced that HM would be getting some upgrades and some changes, so many people get all upset and started yelling about how HM was a classic and doesn't need any changes. Yet look at HM now- the Leota effect was a huge hit, as was everything that was done. There was no need for worry. Same thing happened with the Jungle Cruise- lots of people posted about how the ride was supposed to be sort of cheesy, and why were they changing it, it's a classic, yadda yadda yadda. And once again, the JC has also been a hit. I'd say DL seems to know what it's doing when it comes to upgrades and changes to rides (or at least current management does). I seriously doubt that POTC is going to be killed by this changes.

• Social Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    I definitely think that diehard Disney fans are way too resistant to any change. ...when it was announced that HM would be getting some upgrades and some changes, so many people get all upset and started yelling about how HM was a classic and doesn't need any changes. Yet look at HM now- the Leota effect was a huge hit, as was everything that was done. There was no need for worry.
    No one objected to the upgrades. Floating Leota head is a giant hit, but Jennifer Tilly floating head would NOT have been. There were complaints about REPLACING Madame Leota with Jennifer Tilly. That is NOT the same as die-hard, no change complaints.

If the Depp and Rush figures are indeed more like Sparrow and Barbarosa figures, done in the same style as the original pirates (and not in the lame style of the World of Motion replacement pirates), then it might not be so bad after all.

That's a big IF.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree that this isn't that bad (not bad at all to me actually). Sure, Pirates is a classic, but I think that if Walt were still alive today, Pirates may have been altered somehow already. He was constantly updating and renewing his ideas and projects.

• Sock Puppet

I think the idea sucks. Walts last ride is about to be destroyed.

Let me guess, there gonna take the dog out and put the monkey in from the movie instead!

Edited to add: I guess theres ALWAYS going to be the arguement of "What would Walt do?" out there. He's dead folks. You don't know what Walt would have done. IMPO I think they are slapping him in his face by doing this.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast