Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Thumbs down Pirates of the Caribbean R.I.P.

Walt's dream is dead. Make way for the era of movie tie-ins. Animatronic Johnny Depp and his crew of overrated actors are setting sail for the promotional seas and they won't stop until they've burned and pillaged all that remains of this great attraction. Light a candle for the classic POTC because the dream is dead.

For the record, movie related Pirates in the ride SUCKS! Nothing is safe.

Future park updates include:

Lindsey Lohan's Castle
    Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion
    Great Moments with Mr. Bruckheimer
    Toucan Sam's Fruity Tiki Room
    Barbie's Small World

• See what I got?

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean R.I.P.

I hear ya. Do you think in forty years people will even recognize that is supposed to be Johnny Depp?

• Banned User

This is truely a NEW Era!

• Hooterville, USA

Argh, don't change my fav ride mateys. Because, "We wants the redhead".

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• oh bugger

I don't think this Pirates update is the end of the world. With the two upcoming squels to the first orignal film the characters, who are extremly popular, will be around for at least 5 years in the films, and in 40 years if people don't recognize the Jack Sparrow AA it will be ok because it won't ruin the ride. Many of the AA in the ride are already modeled after Imagineers who we don't remember, but does it change our ride experience? No, but it does add a little something to the ride. I think this is a welcome update to a timeless classic.

I know this board brings out the classics and the traditionalist but in reality very few of the guests are as diehard as this group, and I think this will be a crowd pleasing addition for many years to come. Based on the success of the films alone, people really enjoyed the movie.

There is a reason Country Bears and Haunted Mansion didn't get any theme-park tie ins to the ride inspired films... those movies sucked. I'm looking forward to the sequels for Pirates, as well as the completion of the refurb of the ride.

• Social Imagineer

As I posted in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    It will spell the end of Pirates of the Caribbean. Adding figures from the movie is tacky beyond belief.

And if you thought that AA figures from The World of Motion didn't quite match the existing pirates, wait till you see the movie tie-ins. The original pirates are characitures, not sculptures. Their facial features are theatrically exaggerated (even moreso on the frozen faces of the WoM robots), and figures which will be designed to look like real human actors will never come close to stylistically matching the existing pirate cast of the attraction.

Woe, oh woe. Dead rides tell no tales.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah
    Walt's dream is dead. Make way for the era of movie tie-ins. Animatronic Johnny Depp and his crew of overrated actors are setting sail for the promotional seas and they won't stop until they've burned and pillaged all that remains of this great attraction. Light a candle for the classic POTC because the dream is dead.

For the record, movie related Pirates in the ride SUCKS! Nothing is safe.

Future park updates include:

Lindsey Lohan's Castle
    Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion
    Great Moments with Mr. Bruckheimer
    Toucan Sam's Fruity Tiki Room
    Barbie's Small World
    Sorry, but the era of movie tie-ins has been alive and thriving for quite some time. Live action movies - Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Roger Rabbit, HISTA and Swiss Family Robinson (thrived until Tarzan took over). Animated movies - more than one can count on both hands.

I am a purist, but I think this breath of fresh life into the POTC ride will be a positive.
    Last edited by HydroGuy; 08-30-2005 at 10:17 AM.

• I'm a Muscle Fan!

God, this is gonna suck. Instead of discouraging those morons who complain that the ride is nothing like the movie, the Man is encoraging them! Much as I loved that movie and Johnny Depp, if he MUST be in the ride, he better be in the background so I can choose to ignore him.

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy
    Sorry, but the era of movie tie-ins has been alive and thriving for quite some time. Live action movies - Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Roger Rabbit, HISTA and Swiss Family Robinson (thrived until Tarzan took over). Animated movies - more than one can count on both hands.

I am a purist, but I think this breath of fresh life into the POTC ride will be a positive.
    I think you're missing the chronology here. In the 60's there was a great ride developed about a group of Pirates who sacked a Spanish town. In 2004 the Disney Marketing Machine made a movie loosely based on this classic attraction. Now the ride will serve to promote the sequel to a movie that is based on the very same ride. I love rides based on movies (like Indy). What smells of a marketing ploy is when original rides are altered to fit contemporary movies in order to sell Johnny Depp t-shirts.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Well, I guess we just have to wait and see what they do. Adding a Depp AA or two shouldn't really affect the ride all that much, frankly. I doubt they're going to gut the ride and totally revamp it to the film. Much of the original ride was already referrenced in the original film anyway, so most of the work has already been done... so to speak.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Banned User

No, not true, you have to calm down!! They are only adding a few AAs and special effects, your overreacting. Hello, they're not going to redo the whole ride, they're just going to add some AAs from PotC:CotBP to attract more guests, it will not change the ride AT ALL and besides, Walt would have LOVED these new additions to the attraction. It's not to promote the movie!!!!!

• Fastpass Hater

Too bad WDW's version is the one that really needs it, since I think it's a joke compared to the original. Something like this seems like a better fit for Florida anyway since not as many people would be shouting the sky is falling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Well, I guess we just have to wait and see what they do. Adding a Depp AA or two shouldn't really affect the ride all that much, frankly. I doubt they're going to gut the ride and totally revamp it to the film. Much of the original ride was already referrenced in the original film anyway, so most of the work has already been done... so to speak.
    I agree, the movie was fairly faithful to the ride, and if they're only adding in a few figures, it shouldn't be that bad. It also helps the POTC the movie was really good!

Personally, I thought the scary night time version sounded cooler, plus it would have allowed people to enjoy classic POTC also...

I'm for the whole thing. Make the ride a hot ticket again, and breathe some new life into it.

What were they thinking.

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast