Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Closed Account

Red Face Disneyland for the Rides Only?

Ok while I like fantasy and can watch some cartoons, I actually could care less about the characters at the parks...now before you go throwing flaming tomatoes at me, I am just as wild about DLR as the next guy on here but even as a kid I always got the most enjoyment from the rides and atmosphere of DLR and thought the characters were just an afterthought {although it's the other way around since the cartoons were drawn before Walt had plans for the park..I know I know}..does anyone else just go to the park for the rides only and don't give a hoot weather or not they see Mickey or Jack Sparrow walking around? I know the kids like it and have no problem with it but personally I don't go to the park to get pictures with characters or give them hugs..or maybe it's because I'm an adult now and I'm getting too old? LOL...

Re: Disneyland for the Rides Only?

*Raises hands up*

I go for rides only...

• Rather Be At Disneyland

That's one of the great things about Disneyland is the variety of experiences you can have. If rides are your thing, then you can ride all day to your hearts content. Disneyland has amazing rides in so many different themes, stories, etc.

Some people love to see beloved characters that they grew up watching, and enjoy interacting with them in fun and unique ways. Other people love to soak up the atmosphere of Disneyland and are content with jsut being there and doing wahtever strikes their fancy at the time.

I personally love all of the above. I love to just be at Disneyland, ride a few rides and hopefully run into a few characters.

• Minion

Blog Entries

I go for the rides, and nearly threw a hissy fit when my mom made us do character searching one whole day of our trip...I was 20 at the time...Yes mom thinks i want to meet Ariel...again...for the millionth time....

I completly understand children loving to meet the characters because to them, they are real, but adults getting just as excited freaks me out a bit...always has, always will...

• Senior Minion

I don't care much about characters either and never have even as a kid. For me it's about 50% rides, 45% atmosphere and 5% characters/movies.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I don't care much about characters either and never have even as a kid. For me it's about 50% rides, 45% atmosphere and 5% characters/movies.
    Uhh... 50% rides, 25% atmosphere, 25% food!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I was literally just thinking about this exact same subject.

I never go to see the characters, but I have a specific reason, at least subconsciously why. When I was a little kid I saw Mickey Mouse but apparently it was time for his break because as I was running toward him, he turned around and did some type of wave off as he exited through some door. He didn't even turn around to acknowledge I was there. Imagine some poor kid getting an opportunity to see Mickey and Mickey turns his back on him. This was so sad for me, and to this day I never pay any attention to the characters. It is all rides and shows for me!

I am almost 40 and since this incident there are only 3 times that I deliberately went to see characters. The first was a couple weeks ago -- Mickey at his house only because I was with friends who wanted to see him. This is the first time I have done this. All the other times I exited before I got to the Mickey Room. The second was a PFF in January, and this is only because I was with another Micechatter who shall remain nameless who at the time had this infatuation with Giselle. And the third was with my then 4 month old son (now 10) on Main Street with Mickey. However, Mickey got his payback and whenever we would go near Mickey with my son, my son would scream with fright!

So I quickly grew out of the character craze when I was little. I still love the place -- especially the rides and shows!

• =)

I feel the same way. I'm glad the characters are there only because I've seen how amazed the little ones are. A lot of them love the characters, and who can blame them? When you're little enough not to realize the difference between a hand-drawn version and a person in a suit, it's pretty freaking cool! But I, sadly, am no longer part of that age group, and I don't find other things to enjoy about them the way some adults do, so I mostly avoid the characters.

I'm also VERY grateful that the characters no longer look the way they did in the park's earlier years. Can you spell "creepy"?

• Animation Domination

Let's see the parades, food, hidden Mickeys, Fantasmic!, fireworks and taking naps...

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    Ok while I like fantasy and can watch some cartoons, I actually could care less about the characters at the parks...now before you go throwing flaming tomatoes at me, I am just as wild about DLR as the next guy on here but even as a kid I always got the most enjoyment from the rides and atmosphere of DLR and thought the characters were just an afterthought {although it's the other way around since the cartoons were drawn before Walt had plans for the park..I know I know}..does anyone else just go to the park for the rides only and don't give a hoot weather or not they see Mickey or Jack Sparrow walking around? I know the kids like it and have no problem with it but personally I don't go to the park to get pictures with characters or give them hugs..or maybe it's because I'm an adult now and I'm getting too old? LOL...
    I sometimes go for the rides and the shows.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I'm not a big one for the characters. I go for the atmosphere, rides and shows.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I'm not a big one for the characters. I go for the atmosphere, rides and shows.
    and the canoe boys
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

When I was a kid and only went once a year I just went for the rides and could care less about the shows or characters.

After I got an AP it didn't matter what I did as I could just as easily came back the next day and do other things.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    and the canoe boys
    That's my favorite attraction!

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I go for different reasons. Yeah, the rides are probably the priority, but it also depends on the company I have that day too. There's been many days where I've been with MiceChatters and we end up socializing, walking around soaking up the atmosphere and maybe go on a ride or two. Then there's other days where I just like walking around taking pictures. Then again there's days where we just go on ride after ride. I'm not one for posing with the characters (maybe once in a blue moon, if there's a character around and no line), but I do love to watch the interaction with some of the characters and the kids (especially Cruella...she's a hoot).

I guess that's what's so great about Disneyland, everytime you go, it can be a different experience...sometimes it's socializing, eating, and drinking, sometimes tons of rides, sometimes catching all the parades, or sometimes, just sitting around soaking up the atmosphere.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast