Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Why isn't Soarin' in 3-D

Does anyone know about the history of Soarin'? I was wondering why they didn't make it a 3-D experience. It's the only way I could think to get even more of the sensation of flight. My only guess is that it has something to do with our distance from the screen.

• Here Comes Trouble

Re: Why isn't Soarin' in 3-D

Quote Originally Posted by figmentgoofy View Post
    Does anyone know about the history of Soarin'? I was wondering why they didn't make it a 3-D experience. It's the only way I could think to get even more of the sensation of flight. My only guess is that it has something to do with our distance from the screen.
    Last week Laughin' Place posted that they are in the works of filming a new Soarin' movie. Also there are reports that Star Tours 2 (in the works) will be 3D. Maybe they'll try playing with the new Soarin' film for 3D too?
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Probably because they didn't like the idea of having to pick up 500 pairs of dropped glasses everyday.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I think that would be cool. However for my brother, who can throw up in a car driving over a bumpy road, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Probably because they didn't like the idea of having to pick up 500 pairs of dropped glasses everyday.
    They could just install a giant glasses receptacle in the floor of Soarin' and hope nobody falls in.

• =)

I don't know why 3D effects weren't used, but here are some possibilities:

* Cost.
    * Difficulties because of the shape of the screen--things get funny with 3D when the screen is curved.
    * A lot of what you see is supposed to be fairly far away, which means your depth perception is limited anyway. Not much advantage to adding the 3D, though it'd still help.
    * Not wanting to have another attraction that requires glasses.

I really don't know, though. It'd be a cool addition to the experience.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I love the idea actually. If anyone can figure it out it'd be Disney. I'm hoping they just improve the quality of the film.

• I'm not really here

I'm sure they can figure it out as well... but as Data pointed out, most of the objects in the film are at a distance and the 3d effect would be more or less pointless except for one or two instances.

There is simply not enough parallax in the film to make a 3d conversion worth it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Progressive Disneylander

I'm glad it's not 3D. Soarin' still succeeds without needing the enhancement.

While I do enjoy Bugs and Muppets, I just feel that having to wear uncomfortable plastic things on your face in order to enjoy the ride is not always a good thing.

Plus, from my experience with 3D glasses, things are only most clear when you have your head pointed at the focal point on the screen. With Soarin', there are very few parts that have a main focal point so I don't think the 3D effect would work as well because of that.

But if the main idea is to give you the physical feeling that you are really comfortably soaring in the sky, those clunky glasses (IMO) would take away from that experience.

• would love some pie

Soarin doesn't need 3D. The whole point is striving for realism without having to wear silly glasses (and the possibility of all of them being dropped is one to take into consideration as well). With the addition of 3D would be the addition of cheap 3D effects. They are simply unavoidable. Soarin stands out because it proves that 3D glasses are not always needed for an experience to be truly immersive.

If they do a new film, they just need to do it in better HD and update the projectors.
    KABLAM!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

AAAACKCKKKK!!!! I'm sick of the 3d glasses Attractions!!!!!

• Knight that says Nee!!

"I was wondering why they didn't make it a 3-D experience"

Because I told them not to. I'm not changing my mind either, so there!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by DATman View Post
    The whole point is striving for realism without having to wear silly glasses.
    Which is more realistic...a world in which one wears glasses, or a world in which everything is flat? Just sayin'...

With the addition of 3D would be the addition of cheap 3D effects. They are simply unavoidable.
    Sorry, but that's simply incorrect. I assume by "cheap 3D effects" you're talking about things flying at your face to deliver easy thrills and so forth, particularly when bad visual effects are involved. It's actually very easy not to include these in a 3D film...wanna know how? Get this--you decide not to include them in the 3D film. It's a crazy idea to a lot of people who create these things, sadly, but it's becoming more prevalent in the world, luckily. 3D effects are (hopefully) becoming a way to sell a two-dimensional environment more immersively, not a way to include cheap gimmicks. (Not trying to say I don't like actual physical environments. I'm just saying that if the attraction is gonna be on a screen, may as well have it be 3D.)

If the current Soarin' film were made 3D, the only parts that would even approach gimmickiness are the parts that already do--the trees and peaks seemingly right below your feet, and the golf ball whizzing past. But I think these work just fine, and only the golf ball would truly seem like one of the "cheap 3D effects" if the attraction were made 3D.

I'm also having trouble understanding all the "what if the glasses fall?" sentiments. You experience motions that are more violent and extreme in HISTA, and the glasses never fall off. Why would Soarin' be so prone to inducing this?

I'll say it again...I don't like the idea of "3D" attractions taking over the parks. Two or three good ones are definitely enough for a whole park. But if an attraction is already going to be bound to a screen, as is sometimes necessary to show certain environments or scenarios, they may as well make it more realistic by providing depth perception without gimmicks.

• would love some pie

^You honestly think that DISNEY could resist throwing in cheap 3D effects? Think about the advertising they could get out of it: Sorin Over California - Now in 3D!!!

When I said dropped glasses, I didn't mean dropped by accident.

As for 3D providing more depth, the only case where this has been the only reason 3D has been used is the re-release of NBC. Being completely immersed in a screen is honestly just like looking out a window. You don't always need 3D glasses to notice depth. For instance, if you look out your window and then take a picture of exactly what you were just looking at, would it look any different? The depth is still there. All that the glasses do is make things closer to your face.
    KABLAM!

• Grim Grinning

I think Soarin' stands out enough on its own. It doesn't need a 3D effect, you're already looking at a screen that sort of wraps around the seats. The only thing that needs improvement is the scents that accompany the scenes, they seem to be weaker than they once were.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast