Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

E-Ticket? What? (Merged threads)

I still don't know what an E-Ticket is, or what it's for, or what I can and can't do with it. Will somebody fill me in on this? Thanks!

• =)

Re: E-Ticket? What?

Someone'll probably reply before me, but I'll try anyway. Short answer: E-ticket = high-quality, popular, expensive attraction.

Long answer: Back in the day, Disneyland used a ticket system for most attractions. Admission to the park was a lot cheaper, but you needed ticket books ranging from A- to E-tickets. A-tickets were very minor attractions, and thus the tickets were the cheapest and most prolific. E-tickets were things like the Haunted Mansion or the Matterhorn or what have you; you had to be careful how you used your tickets, since you only had so many of 'em, and they were pricy. [EDIT: And just for clarification in case any is needed, there were indeed B- and C- and D-tickets covering the intermediate levels of attraction quality and ticket price.]

Eventually, Disney abandoned the ticket books in favor of the current system with a higher admissions price that includes an all-you-can-eat approach to the attractions. But the "E-ticket" name stuck, so now it just refers to the sort of attraction that did or theoretically would require a pricey, rare ticket to experience.

In short, it's a good thing.
    Last edited by Datameister; 08-26-2008 at 11:26 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

It has snuck some into popular language as well outside the parks, meaning a experience or location usually that is considered super awesome or special.

• =)

^ True, that.

• Don't lets be silly! o

Nicely stated Datameister.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Man, the things I would do to get my hands on an unused ticket book.

• Yeah.....

if you can find it anywhere, the walt disney treasures-disneyland edition contains a replica of a full ticket book, along with a few other neat items

not to mention the movie itself is chock full of oldschool disney goodness

my mom just about hit the roof in excitement when i showed it to her, she then ran to her dresser and dug out a partially used ticket book from the sixties and compared the two in amazement...that was a fun night

• Don't lets be silly! o

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    if you can find it anywhere, the walt disney treasures-disneyland edition contains a replica of a full ticket book, along with a few other neat items
    double

• Don't lets be silly! o

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    Or you could go to Disneyland and see them at "The First 50 magical years" hosted by Steve Martinand Donald Duck!

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

I didn't mean replica. Like an authentic non-used ticket book circa 1960s. But still, that DVD thing is pretty cool. I'll look into it.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by MonstersGoBoo! View Post
    I didn't mean replica. Like an authentic non-used ticket book circa 1960s. But still, that DVD thing is pretty cool. I'll look into it.
    They're not that rare. Check Ebay.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Data, there were actually fewer A through C tickets than there were D and E tickets. Whenever I would go to DL I rarely bought extra tickets because there were plenty of C and D ticket attractions that were just as popular as the E tickets (the Fantasyland rides, the subs, America Sings, etc). I rarely went back home with an unused E ticket, but I rarely if never had go buy an extra ticket because I ran out.

Which leads me to a pet peeve of mine -- which is today's usage of the term E ticket to describe a current-day ride (unless it actually took an E ticket back in the day) or prospective ride that is popular or provides an excellent experience. Many of the D tickets were an "E ticket experience" as were some C's.

All an E ticket really meant was that it required an E ticket to go on a particular ride, nothing more or less because all attractions had their own intrinsic quality about them. Using that term today implies that there are some rides that should stay and encourage the removal or discourage the development of rides that don't provide an E ticket experience. Back in the day all rides had quality in one way or another, the only difference was in the type of ticket it took to ride on them.

Here is an example of what I am trying to say. The Main Street vehicles are an A ticket attraction. (They actually were back in the day). So by today's armchair imagineer standards they should either be ripped out, or a loop added because they are A tickets and no attraction in Disneyland should provide lesser than a E tcket experience.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 08-27-2008 at 05:23 AM.

• Halloween 2011

From http://www.justdisney.com/Features/tickets.html

List of the ticket coupons:
    A Coupon- 10
    • Main Street Horse Cars (Main Street)
    • Horseless Carriage (Main Street)
    • Omnibus (Main Street)
    • Sleeping Beauty Castle (Fantasyland)
    • Fire Engine (Main Street)
    • King Arthur Carousel (Fantasyland)

B Coupon- 25
    • Main Street Cinema (Main Street)
    • Swiss Family Treehouse (Adventureland)
    • Motor Boat Cruise (Fantasyland)
    • Casey Junior Circus Train (Fantasyland)
    • Alice in Wonderland (Fantasyland)

C Coupon- 40
    • Peter Pan Flight (Fantasyland)
    • Dumbo Flying Elephants (Fantasyland)
    • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Fantasyland)
    • Snow White's Adventures (Fantasyland)
    • Fantasyland Theater (Fantasyland)
    • Mad Tea Party (Fantasyland)
    • Mike Fink Keel Boats (Frontierland)
    • Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (Main Street)
    • Autopias (Fantasyland, Tomorrowland)
    • Shooting Galleries (Frontierland, Adventureland)

D Coupon- 40
    • Rocket Jets (Tomorrowland)
    • PeopleMover (Tomorrowland)
    • Flight to the Moon (Tomorrowland)
    • Storybookland Canal Boats (Fantasyland)
    • Skyway (Tomorrowland, and Fantasyland)
    • Tom Sawyer Island Rafts (Frontierland)
    • Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes (Bear Country)
    • Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad (Main Street, New Orleans Square and Tomorrowland)
    • Columbia Sailing Ship (Frontierland)
    • Mark Twain Steamboat (Frontierland)

E Coupon- 85 Adults, 75 Children
    • Mine Train Ride (Frontierland)
    • Pack Mules (Frontierland)
    • Jungle River Cruise (Adventureland)
    • It's a Small World (Fantasyland)
    • Disneyland-Alweg Monorail Trains (Tomorrowland)
    • Matterhorn Bobsleds (Fantasyland)
    • Enchanted Tiki Room(Adventureland)
    • Submarine Voyage (Tomorrowland)
    • Pirates of the Caribbean (New Orleans Square)
    • Country Bear Jamboree (Bear Country)
    • Haunted Mansion (New Orleans Square)

Note that the value of the tickets increases from A to E. Also, the number of tickets increases; a 15-ride ticket book had only one A, but 5 E's. Both of those conditions led to the E-ticket phrase meaning a popular ride that - in some way - had more value.

• Closed Account

Thank goodness the public never bought into the Disney terminology, or we'd all be clammoring for a new "E-coupon ride!" over in DCA!

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Data, there were actually fewer A through C tickets than there were D and E tickets. Whenever I would go to DL I rarely bought extra tickets because there were plenty of C and D ticket attractions that were just as popular as the E tickets (the Fantasyland rides, the subs, America Sings, etc). I rarely went back home with an unused E ticket, but I rarely if never had go buy an extra ticket because I ran out.

Which leads me to a pet peeve of mine -- which is today's usage of the term E ticket to describe a current-day ride (unless it actually took an E ticket back in the day) or prospective ride that is popular or provides an excellent experience. Many of the D tickets were an "E ticket experience" as were some C's.

All an E ticket really meant was that it required an E ticket to go on a particular ride, nothing more or less because all attractions had their own intrinsic quality about them. Using that term today implies that there are some rides that should stay and encourage the removal or discourage the development of rides that don't provide an E ticket experience. Back in the day all rides had quality in one way or another, the only difference was in the type of ticket it took to ride on them.

Here is an example of what I am trying to say. The Main Street vehicles are an A ticket attraction. (They actually were back in the day). So by today's armchair imagineer standards they should either be ripped out, or a loop added because they are A tickets and no attraction in Disneyland should provide lesser than a E tcket experience.
    You might have something there. We could use a better metric for measuring the intrinsic value of an attraction. I suggest we name it after you, we could call it the DisneyIPresume Stick, or DIP Stick for short.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast