Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So the Climax on Indy....

When you approach Indy on the rope, and the ball rolls at you, it's not really rolling at you is it? Isn't the ball stationary(less the rolling motion) and the walls around it move back to make it appear like it's coming at you? Basically, does anybody here understand the specifics of this part of the attraction? And can you share?

• Nill

Re: So the Climax on Indy....

I can certainly share!

You enter the room. The EMV stops, plays a sound effect that sounds like shifting into reverse. The room begins to move forward, and a few seconds later the ball also begins moving towards you. It is not stationary as some people think.

The ball sits on a cart mechanism, on which it continuously spins. The cart is on a track to make the lateral movement for the ball.

Take a look at my avatar picture, it is a picture from behind the ball, and you can see the assembly holding the ball up.

EDIT: Heres a nice blueprint of it. http://www.imagineersmarketplace.com/images/IJ_4b.JPG

Do you have anymore pics of the mechanism. This effect is one of my favorite in the park. Also, any more detail would be appreciated...Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Thanks for the link

• Nill

Those are the most detailed and rare-ish photos of it, but on some guest pictures taken as they dive below the ball, you can sometimes see the bearings holding the boulder up.

I have a Counter-Strike Source map of Indy, so maybe I can take a video of it in action. The actual structures arent there, but the movement is identical.

Like I said, anything is appreciated. I enjoyed looking at those blueprints. I've always been curious about the mechanics of that effect.

• Nill

Yea me too. Its amazing how such illusions are created. My CS:S map of course also has the Chamber of Destiny, so I'll throw that in the video too. Just gonna finish up this late-night dinner and I'll make a quick video on those two effects.

• I'm not really here

Here is a youtube video of the effect from a stationary, lights on, point of view.
    It happens at 2:26 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=SlLxdbI4ISQ

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Thanks Mycroft. Thats the video that sparked my curiosity. I believe it was in a recent thread...I dunno, I saw it somewhere but it doesn't hurt see it twice. I wish the History channel would do a documentary specifically on the mechanics at DISNEYLAND. And not watered down with half advertising for fledgling attractions...clears throat...Because an in depth look into this and many others would be most interesting. And Bart, I look forward to seeing this video.

• Nill

The first one, of the boulder effect, is uploading on youtube. Its about 81mb, so it may take a short while. The whole ride video that I have on my youtube channel was over 800mb!

I'll likely create another thread as I'm going to include the chamber of destiny on another video.

• Hall Of Promise

Here is a better quality version of the same video posted above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=gubF0TmdHBs

• Nill

Alright, heres a really crude version of it, but it shows the general effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBvbdlni_lg

• =)

Or we could...you know...watch the official version of that special. EDIT: Very cool video, Burt!

• Nill

Yes, I prefer the "official" version haha.

• Hall Of Promise

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Or we could...you know...watch the official version of that special. EDIT: Very cool video, Burt!
    Yes, that is a good way of seeing it. lol One that I prefer. For some reason that "video of the video" shot from a video camera keeps making its way onto these boards when you have the official site still hosting the video.

Is it true the car never moves backwards because that would shut down the ride?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast