Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

DCA Name and Theme Change

Aaahhhh, the joy of a California Adventure disscussion.

Yes, we know you despise it's paltry attractions and themeing with all of your heart and from the bottom of your soul.

Yes, we know you feel like you're the only one on this board who loves it and are tired of the sour grapes that trash it.

I think it is time, however, that we all acknowledge that DCA is in the middle of a major identity crisis. Pieces of new themes (mostly movie-based) have been scattered admist the original California theme and have severely diluted it. Something must be done. A decision must be made.

The winds of change are blowing south of Disneyland, with words and whispers floating down from TDA and predictions of a new theme as soon as the end of the decade. So what should DCA become?

My idea:

A shift in theme and concept. Change the name to something sun related. "Sunshine Kingdom" perhaps? That name doesn't entirely sit right with me but it will do as a place holder. With the main focus being on sunshine, the theme chages to, really, anything under the sun.

Beautiful places, sunny paradises and that kind of thing. This describes many of the "districts" of DCA (Paradise Pier, Grizzly Peak, Bountiful Valley Farm, etc.)

The whole point is a shift in concept from California-based to California-influenced. This leaves room for many other ideas and themes that don't neccesarily fit the park as it stands now (a bug's land, etc.)

Of course, the C A L I F O R N I A letters at the gate would have to be changed, and the most likely the Golden Gate Bridge as well. A much more attractive and complicated sun fountain/sculpture would have to be made to become the icon of the park. What about replacing the large mosiac with mountain sculptures? This way the forced perspective design with the sun in the background will still be effective, but not California-based.

Anyway, I'm going too much in to what I want to see. I'd love to know what your ideas are. Share them! Share them all!

Re: DCA Name and Theme Change

I'm not neccisarily convinced the name will change and I still hope they don't I think it would hurt more then help

never before has a Disney park EVER changed it's name (remeoving "center" from Epcot is very arguable) so changing what DCA so radicaly doesn't seem likly to me

add this in with the fact that origionaly the placemaking project at DCA was designed to STRENGTHEN existing plotlines not radicaly change them

as far as fixing DCA goes I've already posted plenty of ideas such as...

saving the farm http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1041

little mermaid http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773

lagoon show http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798

and my very beloved LA expansion http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271

now that I've got that plugging out of my system (hey I've been gone all summer practicaly)

I'd also say that I didn't find DCA that bad when I finally made my first visit to the park this summer

it really does create a good resort experience if you stay multiple days (something I'd never do with only Disneyland)

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

I agree that they shouldn't change the name (and I don't think they will). That would be like giving up, and it would only lead to the public mocking Disney more for this park. The fact that they are redoing HPB and staying with a Hollywood theme, though taking a historical approach, tells me that the California theme is staying, that a decision has been made, and that changes are coming.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

I don't think a name change is a good idea at all. Yes, DCA needs new attractions and whatnot but a name change is just bad. It would be admitting that DCA was a crummy name idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    never before has a Disney park EVER changed it's name (remeoving "center" from Epcot is very arguable) so changing what DCA so radicaly doesn't seem likly to me
    Wasn't Disneyland Paris called Euro Disney when it first opened?

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy
    Wasn't Disneyland Paris called Euro Disney when it first opened?
    I stand corrected or at least I had an oversite

even then the name change didn't fundamentaly change the park at all

if DCA went through a name change that didn't change the theme away from California then there'd be no problem at all

however this isn't what we're discussing we're talking about something huge something that would change the very core concept of the park

I think that effecting the core would destroy so much and make the park very contrived and confusing for a visitor

• Circle of Ancients

I'm thinking it would just be a "Disney Studios" park or something.

The rides with CA themes could easily be changed to a "Studios" theme.

Soarin' could be some flight movie.
    GRR could be some Nature movie.
    Paradise Pier could be Baywatch.
    Everything else is already a movie so there you go.

Well, I wish people would stop calling it "DCA" and start calling the park by it's actual name. Of course, no one's going to call it "Disney's" California Adventure, but California Adventure would do. Only select few people call Disneyland "DL," but almost everyone manages to call the park by it's full name.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

The name change isn't neccesarily so important (I can't even think of one I like). However I do think a decision needs to be made to either keep the California theme pure or just throw it out the window.

I don't want anybody thinking I don't like DCA as it is because I enjoy it very much. I'm just sad to see it going the direction that it's going.

Also, I have to say I am very much opposed to the general "Disney Studios" idea as it is so bland and ill-fitting for the large majority of DCA. The other studio parks are going through idenity crises of their own, there's no need to add to DCA's problems.

OT, but I'd like to see a Mexican/mission themed area, as Mexican culture is a very big part of California.

Quote Originally Posted by DLResident
    Well, I wish people would stop calling it "DCA" and start calling the park by it's actual name. Of course, no one's going to call it "Disney's" California Adventure, but California Adventure would do. Only select few people call Disneyland "DL," but almost everyone manages to call the park by it's full name.
    I dunno DCA is a real easy name to say though I've never used it much IRL it's still a pretty cool acronym I wouldn't mind Disney using it themsleves

not like we call Epcot by it's full name (then again that'd just confound people)

• Minion

I believe it's going to take EVERYTHING .. to change people's minds .. and start coming through the gates the way Disney first predicted.

* New theme/different themed lands
    * replace most of it's rides with different ones
    * A whole new entrance - One with "depth" not the 1-dimensional "mosiac" tripe
    * And yes ...... a whole new NAME.
    * Along with a huge marketing blitz to show off the new rides, new themes in the newly designed "2nd Gate Park"

If we went from "Euro Disney" to "Disneyland Paris" ....... I see no reason the D.C.A. name can't go completely "bye-bye".

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I had heard, once ages ago who knows where, that they were going to call it WestCot and do it like a mini Epcot thingiemerbobber. Of course, the point is moot now, but it just popped into my head.
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

I went to DCA for the first time last week. For most of my time there, I felt like I was in Disneyland's parking lot (which I guess I was). DCA needs more trees and vegetation (sp?). Heres what I liked though.

Tower of Terror
    Aladdin Musical
    It's Tough to Be a Bug
    Grizzly River Run
    Soaring Over Cali
    Walkways that I could walk through!

Here's what I did NOT like

Muppet 3D
    Bugs Land
    Paradise Pier
    Golden Zephyr

Maybe DCA would benefit if there was no theme at all. What if it was similar to Disneyland and it had different themed areas. It already looks like it is on that route. I don't see how attractions like Monsters Inc or Bugs Land have anything to do with California. Just thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I dunno DCA is a real easy name to say though I've never used it much IRL it's still a pretty cool acronym I wouldn't mind Disney using it themsleves

not like we call Epcot by it's full name (then again that'd just confound people)
    Why not?

Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow Center Park.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Maybe they could turn it into a giant miniature golf course and rename it:
    Par King
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast