Quick Question Regarding Checking Out A Wheelchair At Disneyland.

Recently i had a bit of a accident and hurt my ankle. its not completely broken, but i do have problems when i comes to walking or standing up for long periods of time. It hurts alot after an hour or so being on my feet. Sitting down in a wheelchair would definitely help being at disneyland for 16 hours this saturday. Do i need to pay or bring a doctor's not or anything?

I dont have medical insurance or anything so i havent been able tog et any help for this. kind of trying to " walk it off " so to speak. its all i can do for now inbetween work and other issues i have in my life right now.

Anyway, help me please. what do i have to do to get a wheelchair or electric wheelchair/cart thingy to help me on this trip to disneyland.

P.S. If i know someone at home that has a wheelchair, can i bring it with me and use it and not be harassed if i dont have a handicapped permit or something like that?

• Here Comes Trouble

Re: Quick Question Regarding Checking Out A Wheelchair At Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock128 View Post
    Recently i had a bit of a accident and hurt my ankle. its not completely broken, but i do have problems when i comes to walking or standing up for long periods of time. It hurts alot after an hour or so being on my feet. Sitting down in a wheelchair would definitely help being at disneyland for 16 hours this saturday. Do i need to pay or bring a doctor's not or anything?

I dont have medical insurance or anything so i havent been able tog et any help for this. kind of trying to " walk it off " so to speak. its all i can do for now inbetween work and other issues i have in my life right now.

Anyway, help me please. what do i have to do to get a wheelchair or electric wheelchair/cart thingy to help me on this trip to disneyland.

P.S. If i know someone at home that has a wheelchair, can i bring it with me and use it and not be harassed if i dont have a handicapped permit or something like that?
    You can definately bring your own chair and probably rent one as well given your situation. A doctor's note wouldn't hurt, but for actual handicapped privileges in the park, you need some type of card stating you are handicapped.

I don't the cost for a wheelchair rental, but I do know they require a refundable deposit. You can also rent an electric scooter there which is what my Grandma does. She has fun beeping at people "here I come"

You might find the rental fee on their website

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...tyGSDetailPage
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Currently a Rental Wheelchair at the Disneyland Resort is $30, but you get $20 of it back when you return it with your receipt, so the actual cost is $10.

You can use it at both Disneyland and DCA, but cannot take it into Downtown Disney or anywhere else outside the security area.

So you might want to rent from an off-property site, or check with your hotel (if applicable) so you can get more use out of the wheelchair.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

I rented an ECV for my mom this summer from Deckert (714) 542-5607. I believe it was $35 or $45 a day and they delivered it to our hotel and picked it up after we left.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Im not staying on site or any hotel, just a drive up to disneyland on saturday, spend the day there and come home.

so basically, if i dont have a doctors note or a handicap license of some sort, i can rent a wheelchair or electric wheelchair from disneyland with a deposit , but still have to stand up and wait in lines and not be able to use any of the handicap privileges , correct?

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I could be wrong, but I believe that from a legal standpoint, Disney can no longer require you to show proof of a disability. They have to take your word for it. Now if you go to rent a wheelchair, and you come up to get it with your ankle bandaged up and/or walking on crutches, they aren't going to question it.

As for having to stand up and wait in lines... if you are physically unable to do that, then by all means.... use the wheelchair access. If it would hurt your ankle more or cause you discomfort, don't be afraid to use the access for this. If however, you feel able and comfortable standing in line I think you could so so. What you might find is at the beginning of the day standing is ok, but as the day wears on and you get tired and your ankle might start to hurt more... make use of the wheelchair. Thats what you have it for. Use your own body and how you feel as a guide.

And most important... have fun while you are there!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I'm not staying on site or any hotel, just a drive up to Disneyland on Saturday, spend the day there and come home.

so basically, if i don't have a doctors note or a handicap license of some sort, i can rent a wheelchair or electric wheelchair from Disneyland with a deposit , but still have to stand up and wait in lines and not be able to use any of the handicap privileges , correct?
    No, if you rent a wheelchair or ECV (the one rule for an ECV is that you must be 18 or older to rent from Disneyland) you get some accessibility things, some help in waits, others take longer.

When you rent the Wheelchair/ECV, they should hand you a Accessibility guide, in Disneyland, an older park, sometimes you will use an alternative entrance, in DCA, all regular queues are Wheelchair accessible, so you just stay in your wheelchair while in the queue. Some rides will allow you to stay in your wheelchair, some will require you to transfer to the vehicle.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

I can get up and out of the wheelchair to get into the rides, might hurt a bit to step up off of the rides. it wont kill me, but over time during the day, its going to wear me out. which is why without any papers, im wondering if its ok if i can walk up to the main gates, ask them for a wheelchair i can use during the day and not be looked at like im some sort of criminal for not having papers or anything.

Im sure ill get looks for being in a wheelchair, then getting up normally to get in a ride or in a line to buy some food, but hopefully they understand im not totally paralyzed, but doing this for hours at a time, its going to be painful

• Here Comes Trouble

I can get up and out of the wheelchair to get into the rides, might hurt a bit to step up off of the rides. it wont kill me, but over time during the day, its going to wear me out. which is why without any papers, im wondering if its ok if i can walk up to the main gates, ask them for a wheelchair i can use during the day and not be looked at like im some sort of criminal for not having papers or anything.

Im sure ill get looks for being in a wheelchair, then getting up normally to get in a ride or in a line to buy some food, but hopefully they understand im not totally paralyzed, but doing this for hours at a time, its going to be painful
    Like Darkbeer said, just have fun and do what you have to do to be comfortable No one will throw looks at you for being in a chair then standing in line when you can.
    Last edited by kristibaer; 08-29-2008 at 02:32 PM.
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

I've rented a wheel chair several times for no medical reason, my daughter who does fine in the stroller other places does not like it when it gets crowded around her stroller in Disneyland, I can't blame her if you think how hectic that must be, so we rented a wheel chair, my husband would ride with her on his lap, then they both were less tired and cranky all day. We never used it to cut any lines I'd park it with the strollers and we'd wait in line like normal. The CM's were super helpful though when they saw the wheelchair in directing us to the handicapp areas, I'd just let them know it wasn't needed and they were cool with it.

Btw how busy you think it will be tomorrow? ( saturday ) o.o

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

Probably pretty busy since it's Labor Day weekend