Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4

    California Screamin' Queue

    Are there any pictures or concepts of how they plan to retheme that area?

  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    352

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    Are they going to? I sure hope so! I feel like I'm in line for a Six Flags ride. Then again, I was surprised by the lack of queue theming (and indoor queues) in Disneyland in general when I finally made it there this summer--guess it's a space thing.

  3. #3

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    On MasterGracey's project tracker it says this:

    California Screamin' queue / Eastern Paradise Pier re-theming
    Project Status: To begin September 2008
    Open Date: Early December 2008

  4. #4

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,804

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingWicked451 View Post
    Are they going to? I sure hope so! I feel like I'm in line for a Six Flags ride. Then again, I was surprised by the lack of queue theming (and indoor queues) in Disneyland in general when I finally made it there this summer--guess it's a space thing.
    Lack of queue theming was actually the norm rather than the exception before the days of Eisner and was something Walt established. Aside from ATIS and HM pre-Eisber queues were mostly unthemed. It wasn't until Star Tours that people started to think all queues for some reason must be elaborately themed, and that a ride is lacking uf the queue is in fact not themed.

    I think CS feels "Six Flags" because the lack of theming is continued even in the load area. I do say Walt's queues were unthemed, but the theming did start in most cases in the load area, POTC is a good example. I say, theme the load area onl and it should improve thngs a lot.

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    763

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    While I love Screaming, its poses an interesting challenge. How do you theme a rollercoaster who's theme is infact a rollercoaster? Its a steal coaster themed to a wooden coaster but not so sure as to how to theme that. I guess that is why the guys in WDI are there, and not me. hummmmmm

  6. #6

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    283

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Lack of queue theming was actually the norm rather than the exception before the days of Eisner and was something Walt established. Aside from ATIS and HM pre-Eisber queues were mostly unthemed. It wasn't until Star Tours that people started to think all queues for some reason must be elaborately themed, and that a ride is lacking uf the queue is in fact not themed.

    I think CS feels "Six Flags" because the lack of theming is continued even in the load area. I do say Walt's queues were unthemed, but the theming did start in most cases in the load area, POTC is a good example. I say, theme the load area onl and it should improve thngs a lot.

    ATIS?

  7. #7

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,804

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    Quote Originally Posted by SHowardcpa View Post
    ATIS?
    Adventure Through Inner Space

  8. #8

    • Hello
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Luis Obispo
    Posts
    1,257

    Cool Re: California Screamin' Queue

    As far as I know there is no concept art for that area. Although I have heard many great ideas for what they could do from fellow Micechatters.

  9. #9

    • A Suitcase & A Dream
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Buena Vista Street
    Posts
    733

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    What about the ride itself? The track will fit in well with the new Paradise Pier themeing since it looks like a wooden coaster but the trains don't look very victorian, it's doesn't look funny now but I think it might when everything else is done.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    352

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    [QUOTE=DisneyIPresume;3088886]Lack of queue theming was actually the norm rather than the exception before the days of Eisner and was something Walt established. Aside from ATIS and HM pre-Eisber queues were mostly unthemed. It wasn't until Star Tours that people started to think all queues for some reason must be elaborately themed, and that a ride is lacking uf the queue is in fact not themed.

    I think CS feels "Six Flags" because the lack of theming is continued even in the load area. I do say Walt's queues were unthemed, but the theming did start in most cases in the load area, POTC is a good example. I say, theme the load area onl and it should improve thngs a lot.[/QUOTE

    To me, beyond the lack of theming, there's something particularly Six Flags-ian about California Screamin...maybe it's just the cement ramps going back and forth.

    I think of queue theming as just another part of the evolution of imagineering; it got more sophisticated through the years along with almost everything else. I love it when it's done well (the Star Tours queue you cited as the genesis of the whole trend is, IMO, vastly superior to the actual ride). So I was just surprised that even more recent attractions at DL didn't have the elaborate and entertaining queues to help time pass, like I had come to expect at WDW. With the exception of Indiana Jones, of course.

  11. #11

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    Anyone have any info yet?

  12. #12

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    No idea, but I gotta say, kidgenie is right. The queue is perfectly themed to the attraction, which is to say that it's themed to an attraction that's intentionally themed to unthemed attractions. That's not to say I like the situation...but the queue is merely a symptom of the problem with the entire attraction. And if you ask me, there ain't much Disney can do about it. I'd love to be proven wrong, but there isn't room to theme the coaster to something other than a coaster...and doing so wouldn't make sense with Paradise Pier, anyway...so really, Screamin' is also a symptom of the even larger problem that is Paradise Pier.


  13. #13

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    Well, at least if the queue looked like an unthemed queue from a 20's rather than the '90's, it would fit the new theme. At minimum they could build a Victorian roof to cover the queue to replace the fabric awnings and maybe tile, paint or put a veneer over the concrete. At least then it wouldn't feel so awkward.

    Ideally they'd demo that queue and relocate it into the helix. That would really make it feel like a '20's boardwalk coaster, and they actually already have a framed out opening into the helix that I think they put in just for this reason. Surpringly, they actually planned for the future on this one. They also need to repaint the trains, Techskip gave some nice ideas for that in a previous thread.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  14. #14

    • We Go On.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    No idea, but I gotta say, kidgenie is right. The queue is perfectly themed to the attraction, which is to say that it's themed to an attraction that's intentionally themed to unthemed attractions. That's not to say I like the situation...but the queue is merely a symptom of the problem with the entire attraction.

    ...and doing so wouldn't make sense with Paradise Pier, anyway...so really, Screamin' is also a symptom of the even larger problem that is Paradise Pier.
    But Paradise Pier will be rethemed to be more Victorian (which, by the way, I think will be a vast improvement), so why not just retheme the queue to be more Victorian? TSMM's queue is great next door. The lights, the walls, the roofs... everything about it is just like a better Pier. So why not do the same thing to Screamin'? It would fit into the area.

  15. #15

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: California Screamin' Queue

    Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    But Paradise Pier will be rethemed to be more Victorian (which, by the way, I think will be a vast improvement), so why not just retheme the queue to be more Victorian? TSMM's queue is great next door. The lights, the walls, the roofs... everything about it is just like a better Pier. So why not do the same thing to Screamin'? It would fit into the area.
    I think that'd be nice, though then the attraction wouldn't match the queue.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So, what's going on with California Screamin'?
    By SCUBAbe in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 03:18 PM
  2. California Screamin'
    By Tony_Times in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 08:28 PM
  3. California Screamin'
    By sbnuggie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-08-2005, 08:27 AM
  4. California Screamin'
    By euro disney stefan in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 11:10 AM
  5. California Screamin'
    By MiceMan in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 11:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •