Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Reader - Rare Poster

Re: Golden Dreams Closes September 7th

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    i think the problem w/ the show is the location. when you place it in a somewhat empty area (empty SF buildings) where you can see a more exciting area w/ attractions, who's gonna see that show? place it at the entry plaza, it would make sense to introduce the history of CA when you introduce the park to the guests. it would probably do better that way. that and beef up the entertainment value a bit.
    You're right about the location being a problem. I didn't see the film for the 1st year of DCA. Yes, I saw the building and the banner but honestly didn't pay attention to it, as I walked by to Paradise Pier. I just figured is was another empty building, like everything else in the San Francisco Section.

Once I knew it was there, I would go see it from time-to-time. I took my parents to see it and they both loved it. Not EVERY attraction at Disneyland/DCA needs to be a thrill ride. It's nice to sit and relay with the family, on occasion.

--Dave

i went to the park today for the sole purpose of viewing the film. The first, and only time I viewed Golden Dreams before today was in May 2001. It was actually a very entertaining film that captured the essence of the California Dream. The location of the theatre and a lack of a pre-show doomed this from the start. Consider a lobby, much like in the Main Street Opera House, where you could escape from the heat while viewing historical items. Heck... even items from the Disney archives could have worked.

The only minor issue I had was the way the closing montage dated itself. The montage is of course of people who have made history in California... as long as it was prior to 2001. Hehe. From a sports standpoint alone... the montage included the 49ers', dodgers', and ucla's championships. Of course since then USC, The Ducks and Angels have all won championships. Not to mention Dara Torres and other olympians from the Golden State. The most recent sports moment from the montage was the 1999 womens world cup win at the Rose Bowl.

Still a nice way to kill 22 minutes in the park... its a shame they doomed it to failure.

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

This is pretty sad to me. It's a great little movie with a great message, and the montage at the end always brings me to tears...many tears...it's just about how we can do pretty much anything we want if we dream it and want it. It's beautiful. I live with this philosophy. I am sad, though I am actually very lucky I got to see it this past Sunday...good thing I went!!! Goodbye Golden Dreams!!!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Did you confirm this with Disneyland or are you just guessing again?

Right now, I'd take word from the DL site over something that you haven't confirmed is incorrect on the DL website.
    I'm just guessing, but I am 99.9% certain that Golden Screams is not happening this year.

This October is supposed to be Golden Screams last shows. I Have heard from many CMs that it will still go on of course Disney could change there mind. However to just go out and say that it is for sure not going to happen is not right either. I say its more like a 75% probability of it occuring. Well, I guess we shall have to wait and see.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Golden Dreams, the lack-luster film shown at Disney’s California Adventure park, in Anaheim, California, died Sunday, September 7, of causes incident to age. Shown at the park since its opening in 2001, Golden Dreams pimped the glories of the golden state of California and its rich and varied history. Califia, the Amazon warrior, was portrayed in the film by actress Whoopi Goldberg. A veteran of over 50,000 showings, Golden Dreams enjoyed candlelight dinners, long walks on the beach, and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies. Its motto was “anything can be done with just one dream”. Golden Dreams is survived by the 26 people who ventured into the theater over the past 7 years, mostly to escape the summer heat. It was preceded in death by its life partner, Seasons of the Vine, which passed away March 30, 2008. No memorial service will be held. Golden Dreams goes to its silent, cold tomb; unmourned, unloved, and unremembered. Interment, Yesterland Cemetery and Mausoleum.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I would like to know the errors, stereotypes, and "lousy" writing, myself.
    Looks like you scared the "experts" away, Prag.

As a student of California history with a small personal library consisting of dozens of books on the subject, I found most of the events portrayed to be quite historically accurate, even if simplified or condensed to fit into a short movie.

Those who claim the movie is inaccurate would do well to study their California history. I recommend Kevin Starr's "California Dreams" series--one of the best and most readable out there.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

The film is actually quite accurate. The Spanish conquistadors at the beginning speak the proper Castiillian dialect (though the actor has a remarkably strong Mexican accent, most likely Guadalajaran ).

• Cove Bar Official Dj

thats reasonable, just look around the majority of the population at the resort now... you will find why that accent was used
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com

• Disney Pinapple Princess

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I have never been to see Golden Dreams in all the time it's been there. Is it good??
    I love whoopi, but it was the most depressing thing I have ever seen in my life! I had to hit the beer truck after that show, I for one am happy its going...who's with me?
    *** Disney Pinapple Princess *** Cove Bar Crew - DCA** HELL YEAH!!!***
    [IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4e8xunrnijrm.png[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Disney Dorks of the world unite!

• Banned User

I'll miss it, but it's being put out of it's misery. It needs a new location in a high-traffic area to really pack in the crowds it deserves.

• Banned User

How is it depressing to all of you who say it is?

• It's all about Theme!

Is anyone gonna film it on its last day? Please???
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    How is it depressing to all of you who say it is?
    Well it's depressing to me because I really enjoy this movie. It may not be completely historically accurate, but I still love it. The music is great, Whoopi is great, and the end montage is amazing. It makes me SOB everytime...and not just little tears...I cry like a baby...I dunno call me corny, but I just love it!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Is anyone gonna film it on its last day? Please???
    Yes yes yes!!! please film it somebody!!! I need this!!!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast