Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Re: A Live Music TR: One Day with the Bands and Musical Groups of DL and DCA

Awesome "live DL music" pics!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• 1375 miles away

What a wonderful way to spend a day at Disneyland. You inspire me! Thanks for sharing all the photos and comments. I am going to have to watch me some musicians! Can't wait for more.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman View Post
    I absolutely LOVE this TR!
    Amazing photos!

After seeing this TR, I can't wait to take my Rebel XTi to the park
    Abominable Snowman, I'm sure you'll love having your XTi in the park. Your first photo samples were excellent. And I look forward to seeing your trip report when you come back!!!

Thanks EVERYONE for the kind comments and for taking the time to look at this thread.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Continuing...

1:00pm - 1:10pm > Royal Street Bachelors
    It was now approaching 1pm and I had just returned to New Orleans Square from seeing the Bootstrappers at Tom Sawyer's Island (yo-ho!). Lunch at the French Market with the Royal Street Bachelors was beckoning. As I walked into line, I noticed that the band was already playing. Oh no! It wasn't 1pm yet, but I already missed the start of their set. I guess when this sign gives approximations of set times, they really are approximations.

I sat down with my roast beef royale entree and listened while I ate. As Rachael Ray would say: "yum-o!"

Sadly, the group left after playing just two more songs. I must have really missed the start of their set. I'm guessing they probably started closer to 12:45pm than 1pm. But they would be back. And I just might see them again.

Finishing lunch, I decided to head to City Hall and see if I could get performance times for the rest of the groups on my list. As I got to Town Square, some brightly colored costumes were in the corner of my eye. I made a quick left (instead of a right to City Hall) as one of my favorite groups was just emerging from backstage.

1:30pm - 1:55pm > Main Street Strawhatters
    I became a big fan of the group exactly a year ago. It was also Labor Day Weekend and temperatures were in the triple digits. Yet, there they were playing in Town Square and giving their all, despite relatively few people stopping to watch them--the lack of shade near their location kept people just walking past. Here they were again on a Labor Day Weekend and although it wasn't as hot as last year, it wasn't exactly "cool" either. This time though, there were several guests who stopped to appreciate the music.

One of the super fun things about watching the Strawhatters is the character interaction. Just like the Disneyland Band with the Mad Hatter and Alice, the Strawhatters roll out some of the biggest names in Character appearances. First up is Minnie Mouse!!!

And boy, Minnie is one terrific dancer!

She even has time to practice the "crane technique" as taught by Mr. Miyagi.

Accompanied by the Main Street Strawhatters, this dance routine is a sure-fire crowd pleaser.

After Minnie heads backstage for a well-deserved break (her dance routine was really frenetic, kudos to the CM who must have been sweltering in the costume), most of the crowd dispersed. Which is a BIG MISTAKE. *grin* After a one song interlude, another member of the fab five comes out.

Donald Duck has come out with a drum of his own. He thinks he can drummer better than Jimmy.

At this point though, a young guest is picked from the audience to provide some competition for Donald, the would-be drummer.

And by a show of applause, the young guest is voted as the "best drummer" of the group. Hurray! How many kids can say they beat Donald Duck in a musical competition?

After the drum competition, Donald goes backstage and again most of the crowd disperses. If everyone showed just a little more patience, they would see one more character join the Strawhatters.

The big cheese himself, Mickey Mouse, comes out as a guest conductor.

Ta-Da!

Mickey is one terrific guest conductor! And that was the final song of the set for the Main Street Strawhatters. It was seriously a lot of fun. I was expecting one character, not three! Minnie, Donald and Mickey...it doesn't get much better than that.

Completed by 1:55pm:
    Disneyland Band, Dapper Dans, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, The Bootstrappers, Royal Street Bachelors (partial set), The Main Street Strawhatters

Groups still to see:
    Queenie and the Jambalaya Jazz Band, Farley the Fiddler, The Pearly Band, The Hook and Ladder Co., Coke Corner Ragtime Pianist, Jump Jive Boogie Swing Party, Tomorrowland Terrace Band, Trash Can Trio, Fantasmic Pre-Show Band, DCA: The Miner 49ers, DCA: Mariachi Divas.

• 1375 miles away

Wow! Another excellent review! Thanks so much for sharing. I have to confess that I have never heard of the Main Street Strawhatters but I will be sure to watch for them in November.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by mariezp View Post
    Wow! Another excellent review! Thanks so much for sharing. I have to confess that I have never heard of the Main Street Strawhatters but I will be sure to watch for them in November.
    Thanks mariezp! The Strawhatters with the characters are a ton of fun to watch. They're also wonderfully talented musicians. You can usually find them in Town Square in the afternoon. I hope you have a great time when you visit in November!!!

Blog Entries

Nice Report so far!

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Continuing...

When the Strawhatters walked backstage with Mickey, I made a beeline for City Hall. Surprisingly, none of the CMs in City Hall had schedules for anyone I was looking for. Not for lack of trying. The first CM pulled out some sheets of paper--I think it was a Cast Member Reference Guide--but despite the copious amounts of small print, it only contained the same exact information as in the Times Guide. At least with respect to the live musical groups. There was no mention of the Hook & Ladder Co., Jambalaya Jazz Band, Farley the Fiddler, etc. He then started typing on his computer and another CM came over to help. They looked at something they were calling the "Resort Today", but again, it had the same entertainment listings as in the Times Guide only.

Needless to say, this put a crimp in my plans. I got extremely lucky catching the Strawhatters when I did, but with a limited amount of time in the afternoon, I could ill afford to wander around *hoping* to run into another band at the right time.

But good luck did strike one more time. As the CMs were trying to find scheduling information in the computer, I heard some music start up. Lo and behold The Hook and Ladder Co. had just come onstage and were setting up in their usual spot in front of the Fire Station.

By this time, the CMs had given up on the computer and I thanked them for trying. I hurried out of City Hall to watch The Hook and Ladder Co.

2:00pm - 2:20pm > The Hook and Ladder Co.

Being a fire department company, of course they have the firehouse dog helping them out.
    All together now...awwwwwwwwww.

However, the firehouse dog would quickly have cause to get nervous. As yet another Disney character came onstage to join the band: Cruella de Vil!

Cruella and bandleader Toby give my camera the evil eye

Cruella reaches out to pet Spot, but the watchful eyes of the Hook and Ladder Co. keep him safe.

Ms. de Vil quickly recruited a volunteer guest to help her model her latest spotted designs.
    Here she shows our lucky guest how to walk like a model

She's telling him to spin around

Apparently, a proper hat completes the ensemble

After the quick fashion show, Cruella headed further up into Main Street. Everyone checked to make sure the firehouse dog didn't mysteriously disappear.

Like the Strawhatters earlier, leaving quickly after Cruella's appearance would be a mistake. However, as I looked around, more people stuck around to listen to the band than previously. And I think it was because of the plentiful shade on this side of Town Square.

And sure enough, after a couple more songs, who else showed up but Goofy!

Goofy needed no introduction at all and quickly launched into a manic dance routine.

Goofy was giving Minnie (who danced with the Strawhatters) a good run for her money.
    Wow! Was all that I could think watching this CM put on quite a show.

And Goofy takes a bow *applause*

By this time, I was getting spoiled. I was half-expecting to see characters perform with all the groups in the park. How fun is it to be watching a band perform, and then a character jumps in to make things even better? It's touches like these that keeps Disney a step above everyone else.

Next up: wandering Frontierland and New Orleans Square in search of Farley and Queenie.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Continuing...

I head back up Main Street and notice the ragtime pianist at Coke Corner, but I keep going as I'm saving that for later in the evening. I walk back and forth between the Hub and the Frontierland Mercantile for a little while--hoping to catch either Farley the Fiddler or see the Pearly Band passing by on their way to Fantasyland. But to no avail. I think I used up all of my good band karma earlier.

Going back towards New Orleans Square, I see that Queenie and the Jambalaya Jazz Band are performing. Woot!

2:50pm - 3:05pm > Queenie and the Jambalaya Jazz Band
    By the size of the crowd, it looked like the band had been performing for some time already. I just hope I haven't missed too much of their set.

I don't think any characters come out to perform with this group.
    But there's always audience participation.

The Jambalaya Jazz Band is always fun to watch and listen to. I'll never grow tired of hearing "When the Saints Go Marching In". (OT: my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Louisiana and the affected Gulf Coast areas. Here's hoping they avoid serious flooding from Gustav.)

Note: it can sometimes get dangerous when the band members start throwing beads into the crowd. Seriously. There are some guests who go after beads like it's a full-contact sport. These people really need to get a grip.

As the Jazz Band headed back stage, I went back towards Frontierland looking for Farley. Still no luck. I then tried asking the CM at the Information/Wait Time Board for help. And voila!!! On one of their clip boards was an entertainment schedule with *everyone* that I was looking for. I wrote down Farley's remaining set times and quickly headed to Fantasyland to get to the Pearly Band who were supposed to be performing at 3:20pm.

Unfortunately, the printed schedule was a little bit off. The Pearly Band was just finishing up and headed back offstage. Flummoxed at this time and disappointed as the Pearly Band was not scheduled to reappear that day, I sat down in the Castle forecourt to plan the rest of the afternoon. After a few minutes, a familiar sound of rattling trash cans filled the air. I walked over to the East side of the Hub to catch the Trash Can Trio.

3:15pm - 3:20pm > Trash Can Trio
    The familiar white uniformed performers of the Trash Can Trio were making their way down the parade route as pre-parade entertainment (prior to the 3:30pm Parade of Dreams). I bought a Diet Coke from the Hub Popcorn cart and sat down to watch the Trio's stop between the Plaza Inn and the Hub.

The Trash Can Trio certainly helped pass the time for all the people who camped out early for Parade viewing. And they rolled their trash cans further down Main Street to entertain another section of the parade route.

Armed with a plan for the rest of the afternoon, I headed BACK to the French Market to cool down and listen to more of the Royal Street Bachelors. I felt like I shortchanged them earlier in the afternoon when I missed most of their set during lunch.

3:25pm - 3:45pm > Royal Street Bachelors
    The covered seating of the French Market was welcome relief from the heat, and the sounds of cool jazz was just perfect.

Next Up: park-hopping to DCA and back!

Completed by 3:45pm:
    Disneyland Band, Dapper Dans, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, The Bootstrappers, Royal Street Bachelors (partial set), The Main Street Strawhatters, The Hook and Ladder Co., Queenie and the Jambalaya Jazz Band, Trash Can Trio, Royal Street Bachelors (again)

Groups still to see:
    Farley the Fiddler, Coke Corner Ragtime Pianist, Jump Jive Boogie Swing Party, Tomorrowland Terrace Band, Fantasmic Pre-Show Band, DCA: The Miner 49ers, DCA: Mariachi Divas

Missed:
    The Pearly Band

• Premium Youngling and

Once again, I just love the photos

Its amazing how the Trash Can Trio has been playing the same bit since the beginning of time, yet I stop to watch it every time

• is too darn hot.

Thank you so much for focusing on the live music available at the Disneyland resort Too often it gets overlooked in the rush to get to attractions. As a musician who hopes one day to play at the Disneyland resort, I'm glad there's someone out there who notices. Keep in mind, though, that the Fantasmic! pre-show band is the same band as the Jambalaya Jazz Band.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Dream'n w/Blue Sky

Thank you for such a colorful TR and your pics are great. There really is a lot going on besides just the rides
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Brand new CM!

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo4 View Post
    Continuing...

After Minnie heads backstage for a well-deserved break (her dance routine was really frenetic, kudos to the CM who must have been sweltering in the costume), most of the crowd dispersed. Which is a BIG MISTAKE. *grin* After a one song interlude, another member of the fab five comes out.

Donald Duck has come out with a drum of his own. He thinks he can drummer better than Jimmy.

At this point though, a young guest is picked from the audience to provide some competition for Donald, the would-be drummer.

And by a show of applause, the young guest is voted as the "best drummer" of the group. Hurray! How many kids can say they beat Donald Duck in a musical competition?
    Yes!!! I love Donald!!! I'm SUPER jealous!
    I Donald Duck!

• Do You know?

Thank you for showing what makes Disney Parks different from anything else.

Great job. I loved the shots of Minnie.

• is too darn hot.

Also, did you get the little trio that hangs out by L'Ornament Magique?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast