Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Re: A Live Music TR: One Day with the Bands and Musical Groups of DL and DCA

Holy Cow Armadillo!! This is a fantastic TR! What a fun neat idea and your pics are so energetic and fun. Cannot wait to see more!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman View Post
    Its amazing how the Trash Can Trio has been playing the same bit since the beginning of time, yet I stop to watch it every time
    LOL! Yup, they usually get me too. I keep looking to see if they introduce something new to their routine, but I don't think they've surprised me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett_3184 View Post
    Yes!!! I love Donald!!! I'm SUPER jealous!
    Donald was hilarious! He was doing little things to try to distract the young volunteer drummer (but not in a malicious way) that made me laugh. It was cool to see him with the Strawhatters.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Thank you so much for focusing on the live music available at the Disneyland resort Too often it gets overlooked in the rush to get to attractions. As a musician who hopes one day to play at the Disneyland resort, I'm glad there's someone out there who notices. Keep in mind, though, that the Fantasmic! pre-show band is the same band as the Jambalaya Jazz Band.
    Thanks for the comments BassBone! When I was younger, I used to just walk by the musicians on the street on my way to the next ride. Now, I feel like I'm making up for lost time.

Oh, and I found out about the Jamabalaya Jazz Band as the Fantasmic! pre-show band when they came out on the barge. LOL! I actually hadn't seen the pre-show band in over three years since I always go to the 10:30pm Fantasmic (w/out a pre-show band). And I was silently hoping the Side Street Strutters would still be that pre-show band, but I take it they haven't performed at DL in a few years.

Also, did you get the little trio that hangs out by L'Ornament Magique?
    Does a separate trio still perform there? While I was doing my pre-trip research, I couldn't find any recent (within the past two years) reports or photos of that trio. Besides older pictures of the trio from previous decades, the only recent picture I found was of the Royal Street Bachelors from last year performing at that location. So I figured they did double-duty at the French Market and on the street. But if there was separate trio, then darn it, I missed them! Would you know if the trio has a name?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by KeepnLuciferHuntn View Post
    Thank you for such a colorful TR and your pics are great. There really is a lot going on besides just the rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney1978 View Post
    Thank you for showing what makes Disney Parks different from anything else.
    You guys said it perfectly! These bands are one of those features that make Disney parks a cut above everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    Holy Cow Armadillo!! This is a fantastic TR! What a fun neat idea and your pics are so energetic and fun. Cannot wait to see more!!
    Thanks Kuzcochik! Your trip reports are among my favorites, so I'm very flattered by your comments.

And thanks again everyone for stopping by this thread and taking a look! Sorry, I haven't updated in awhile. Two straight 12-hour work days takes a bit of energy. But I'm back tonight with an update!

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo4 View Post
    Thanks for the comments BassBone! When I was younger, I used to just walk by the musicians on the street on my way to the next ride. Now, I feel like I'm making up for lost time.

Oh, and I found out about the Jamabalaya Jazz Band as the Fantasmic! pre-show band when they came out on the barge. LOL! I actually hadn't seen the pre-show band in over three years since I always go to the 10:30pm Fantasmic (w/out a pre-show band). And I was silently hoping the Side Street Strutters would still be that pre-show band, but I take it they haven't performed at DL in a few years.

Does a separate trio still perform there? While I was doing my pre-trip research, I couldn't find any recent (within the past two years) reports or photos of that trio. Besides older pictures of the trio from previous decades, the only recent picture I found was of the Royal Street Bachelors from last year performing at that location. So I figured they did double-duty at the French Market and on the street. But if there was separate trio, then darn it, I missed them! Would you know if the trio has a name?
    I believe the trio is various members of the Disneyland jazz department at various times. I don't think it has a name. Sometimes it's just a duo, usually that very old guitarist and another instrument. As for the Side Street Strutters, they along with the Bayou Brass Band, a more modern Second Line style N'awlins brass band, were fired and the Jambalaya Jazz Band was created. There used to be three bands in NOS in addition to the trio, the Strutters, the Bayou Brass Band and a strolling band of about seven or eight pieces. All of them were fired and reduced to the five to six piece Jambalaya Jazz Band and the Royal Street Bachelors. As good as those groups are, I think the lack of the Strutters, the Bayou Brass and the strolling band is a big loss to New Orleans Square.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Continuing...

So, I had just finished up watching the Royal Street Bachelors at the French Market. And it was time. It was time to park hop to DCA and catch my first group at the other park.

I was going to catch the 4:30pm set of the Miner 49'ers, but I still had nearly 20 minutes to wait. What to do? I checked the single rider line for TSMM but it looked to be about 15 people deep, so I decided to pass. I found this instead.

Sweet nectar of life! Oh sour goodness that is the Tinkerbell Twist, where have you been my entire life??? I think I found my new favorite cold treat at the parks. Well, at least something to rival a Dole Whip Float.

Thoroughly refreshed now. I headed for some live music, DCA-style.

4:30pm - 4:55pm > The Miner 49'ers
    I love bluegrass music almost as much as jazz. So I've been big fans of the Miners ever since they originated as "The Barncats" playing by PT Fleas.

And while there were no characters stopping by, there was certainly audience interaction.
    Miner Line Dancing!

Jedidiah Jones even takes time to learn some hot new dance moves courtesy of some guests.

If you have time to catch them, The Miner 49'ers lend a sweet bluegrass sound to Disney song staples. I highly recommend them!

Once their set was done, it was time to hurry back to Disneyland and Frontierland to catch Farley the Fiddler. Or so I thought. According to the CM at the Information Wait Board earlier in the afternoon, Farley's last set would be at 5pm. But when I arrived a couple minutes past 5pm, there was no Farley to be found. I first waited at his usual spot at the Pioneer Mercantile, but after a few minutes I checked out all the corners of Frontierland to no avail. Maybe the schedule was wrong, or it was a day off. I was extremely disappointed as I had great time interacting with Farley during a previous trip this Summer. He's also a big reason why I kept visiting Big Thunder Ranch during the Halloween and Christmas seasons. I can't wait for Halloweentime to start.

Trying to make the best of the situation, I looked at my options. My next scheduled band was the Mariachi Divas at 6:30pm. But I had time.

A-ha! The Dapper Dans have their final set at 5:15pm. Since their first set of the day on the Horse-drawn Streetcar was so short, I felt compelled to listen to them again. I head back down Main Street to see them one more time.

5:15pm - 5:30pm > Dapper Dans

With the really unique Deagan Organ Chimes

Singing to a young guest. I don't know if she's all that impressed.

Let's play Hide-a-Dapper-Dan...

It was fun to see the Dapper Dans again. And it helped make up for missing out on Farley.

Completed by 5:30pm:
    Disneyland Band, Dapper Dans, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, The Bootstrappers, Royal Street Bachelors (partial set), The Main Street Strawhatters, The Hook and Ladder Co., Queenie and the Jambalaya Jazz Band, Trash Can Trio, Royal Street Bachelors (again), DCA: The Miner 49'ers, Dapper Dans (again)

Groups still to see:
    Coke Corner Ragtime Pianist, Jump Jive Boogie Swing Party, Tomorrowland Terrace Band, Fantasmic Pre-Show Band, DCA: Mariachi Divas

Missed:
    The Pearly Band, Farley the Fiddler

Awesome Refreshment Experience:
    Tinkerbell Twist
    Last edited by Armadillo4; 09-04-2008 at 08:59 PM.

Wow! Incredible job. Thank you so much for taking the time to compile this report! The wonderful live music and entertainment around the park has grown to become something we look forward to...and plan for...whenever we visit the park. We have especially enjoyed the entertaining musicality of the All-Star College Band during summer visits, and Billy Hill absolutely anytime! I think the magic of Disneyland is that it entertains so well on so many levels...the rides, the fully themed environments, the beautifully maintained and creative grounds and landscaping, the variety of live music, shows and awesome productions...even the wonderful little restaurant niches like Carnation Cafe and French Market. We love it all...and your trip report has us longing to be back in the middle of it discovering more "new favorites"! Thanks again!

• A Weather Eye Open

Sweet nectar of life! Oh sour goodness that is the Tinkerbell Twist, where have you been my entire life??? I think I found my new favorite cold treat at the parks. Well, at least something to rival a Dole Whip Float.

Tinkerbell Twist
    This looks delish. Where can I find it?
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nMac View Post
    Wow! Incredible job. Thank you so much for taking the time to compile this report! The wonderful live music and entertainment around the park has grown to become something we look forward to...
    Thanks for your comments Cap'nMac! I feel exactly the same as you do. I've got some really good photos of the All-American College Band from an earlier trip to the park. I'll try to remember to post some of those when I get to the end of this report.

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    This looks delish. Where can I find it?
    twobluestripes: I bought the Tinkerbell Twist from a cart in Paradise Pier, between the Orange Stinger and Maliboomer. The signage isn't the best, as it makes it look like your choices are either Sour Apple or Sour Watermelon. The "twist" option is almost hidden. Or maybe, it's just my squirrel-sized brain and poor eyesight that made me almost miss the sign.

By Googling it, there is also supposed to be a cart in DL that sells them, near Fantasia Gardens and the face-painting area,

• is too darn hot.

twobluestripes: I bought the Tinkerbell Twist from a cart in Paradise Pier, between the Orange Stinger and Maliboomer. The signage isn't the best, as it makes it look like your choices are either Sour Apple or Sour Watermelon. The "twist" option is almost hidden. Or maybe, it's just my squirrel-sized brain and poor eyesight that made me almost miss the sign.

By Googling it, there is also supposed to be a cart in DL that sells them, near Fantasia Gardens and the face-painting area,
    That cart is called Fantasia Freeze. They also sell Frozen Apple Juice which is an incredibly delicious and healthy treat.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

That cart is called Fantasia Freeze. They also sell Frozen Apple Juice which is an incredibly delicious and healthy treat.
    Thanks for the tip BassBone! Now I know where to get a Tinkerbell Twist while I'm in DL. I might have to try that frozen apple juice too. Woop woop!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Continuing...

When the Dapper Dans finished at 5:30pm, I had nearly an hour to kill before my next group, The Mariachi Divas at 6:30pm. I wandered back to Frontierland quickly to check for Farley. No luck. I think he must have had a day off. And then went back to DCA. I bought a chimichanga for dinner and sat and waited in Pacific Wharf for the sound of mariachi music.

6:30pm - 6:50pm > Mariachi Divas
    The Divas are one of the most unique musical groups in either park. They come wandering into the seating area between Pacific Wharf Cafe and the Cucamonga Mexican Grill to entertain anyone who may be enjoying a snack or dinner.

This photo is horribly underexposed, but I like the effect.

It was cool when the Divas noticed two people with birthday buttons and made sure to dedicate a special song to them.

When the Divas were done, I hurried BACK to Disneyland to catch the Ragtime Pianist at 7pm. I wish I had a pedometer with me to see how much distance I covered that day just walking all over both parks. LOL!

7:10pm - 7:30pm > Ragtime Pianist at Coke Corner
    The 6:30pm Parade of Dreams had just moved off towards the Matterhorn and Fantasyland so Main Street was a giant horde of traffic, but I made it to Refreshment Corner just at 7pm. There was no pianist at the piano, but the sign was there "Michael 7:00pm" and the piano was uncovered. So I managed to grab a seat and table and just settled in. Soon enough, Michael emerged and began playing.

I don't have a lot of photos...because they all pretty much look the same. LOL! I could have moved around to get different angles, but I didn't want to lose my seat. I considered getting up for about two seconds, but I can be really good at being lazy.

It was just a nice pleasure to watch people walking up and down Main Street, while listening to really cool ragtime music.

At this point, I had an hour before the Fantasmic! Pre-Show band would start, so what to do? I could have caught the Tomorrowland Terrace band at 7:45pm, but I was saving them as my last band for the day at 10pm. Instead I headed over to scope out a location to watch the F! Pre-Show band that would allow me an easy escape to the Plaza Gardens Stage. I wasn't actually going to stay for F!, just the band.

I ended up going on POTC to help pass the time. Yes, at 7:45pm, I rode my first ride of the day. And after exiting, found a decent spot by the C Tower.

8:30pm - 8:45pm > Jambalaya Jazz Band
    When the announcement came over the speakers to announce the pre-show band, I was excited. But as BassBone noted above, it was a band I had already seen: the Jambalaya Jazz Band. I was hoping it would be a different band altogether, just so I could add another group to my list, but I wouldn't hold that against the Jambalaya Jazz Band. *grin*

The band on the "Anne Bonney"

Splash Mountain looms eerily in the background

I admit, that I did leave before their set fully ended, but I needed to make sure I could escape the F! crowd and get to the Plaza Gardens Stage for the Swing Band's 9pm set.

Completed by 8:45pm:
    Disneyland Band, Dapper Dans, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, The Bootstrappers, Royal Street Bachelors (partial set), The Main Street Strawhatters, The Hook and Ladder Co., Queenie and the Jambalaya Jazz Band, Trash Can Trio, Royal Street Bachelors (again), DCA: The Miner 49'ers, Dapper Dans (again), DCA: Mariachi Divas, Coke Corner Ragtime Pianist, Fantasmic Pre-Show Band (Jambalaya Jazz Band)

Groups still to see:
    Jump Jive Boogie Swing Party, Tomorrowland Terrace Band

Missed:
    The Pearly Band, Farley the Fiddler

Ride Count: 1
    Pirates of the Caribbean

Tinkerbell Twist

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

This has to be one of the most interesting trip reports ever! I love it!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

FINAL INSTALLMENT!

9:00pm - 9:20pm > Doc Anello and the Swing Machine
    The weekend Jump, Jive, Boogie Swing Party at the Plaza Gardens Stage is one of those hidden gems of Disneyland. It's something the average tourist doesn't know about, but it's a ton of fun. I love going to see the diversity of people who are there: of course, there are the "regulars" who you'll see swing dancing almost most every weekend. And watching them do their thing can be very impressive! But there are also random guests and such a wide range in ages too.

I managed to find an empty seat right along the railing (very difficult to do, as there were plenty of spectators) and settled in for some great music.

And to watch the dancers do their thing.
    *sigh* I wish I could dance like that.

The wonderful set list included: In the Mood, Harlem Nocturne, Sunny Side of the Street, Come in from the Rain, and All Right Okay.

When the set ended at 9:20pm, everyone just turned their chairs towards Sleeping Beauty Castle and the night sky for the Fireworks! The sight lines from this area aren't that great because there are so many trees in your way, but you are really close to some of the launch locations and it's still very impressive.

After the fireworks were over, I fought the mass of people across the Hub and headed to Tomorrowland Terrace for the final group of the day.

10:00pm - 10:45pm > Reunion
    The Tomorrowland Terrace Bands are a unique mix of groups and some have ardent followers. This weekend featured a group called Reunion, which is from the same people behind The Antix, as well as Brooke Wilkes and Diva Trip. They are a really fun cover band, and play some very popular dance and pop tunes.

This singer saw me taking pictures from behind the control booth and happily waved for the camera.

The lighting and fog effects made for some interesting photos.

There was quite a crowd gathered and many of them were dancing along. The songs ranged from the B-52s (Love Shack!) and Van Halen, to Ashlee Simpson and Fallout Boy.

At the end of their set, a ride of Space Mountain beckoned, conveniently located nearby. After seeing 15 different musical groups in one visit, I figured one ride to end the night would be appropriate.

Thanks again to everyone who've stopped by this thread and for your comments! I'll have a final wrap-up post tomorrow and maybe even upload some bonus pics, like the All-American College Band.

Completed by 10:45pm: 15 different groups
    Disneyland Band, Dapper Dans, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, The Bootstrappers, Royal Street Bachelors (partial set), The Main Street Strawhatters, The Hook and Ladder Co., Queenie and the Jambalaya Jazz Band, Trash Can Trio, Royal Street Bachelors (again), DCA: The Miner 49'ers, Dapper Dans (again), DCA: Mariachi Divas, Coke Corner Ragtime Pianist, Fantasmic Pre-Show Band (Jambalaya Jazz Band),
    Jump Jive Boogie Swing Party: Doc Anello and the Swing Machine, Tomorrowland Terrace Band: Reunion

Missed:
    The Pearly Band, Farley the Fiddler, Jazz Trio in New Orleans Square (unknown)

Ride Count: 2
    Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain

Tinkerbell Twist

• is too darn hot.

Great TR! Thank you so much for posting it. If you get a chance, head over to the Swing show one weekend where Stompy Jones is playing. They are truly incredible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast