Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: What would you name the so called 3rd theme park at the DLR?

Well, I must say that ProfessorTango and I think very alike when it comes to what themes work well for Disney theme parks. I've been working for a while on a plan for the third gate that I'm calling Disney's Magical Planet that would basically have a simmilar theme to what PT was suggesting. It would be kind of a hybrid between an international showcase and a magic kingdom and focus on the culture, geography, and mythology of people around the world of course with a Disney influence.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Small Worlds of Walt

Holiday Land

• MC, this is LD

How about "the Scrutinizing Cruddy Run-down Ewwie Water park Indianapolis Theme...

Think about it...

• Imagineer in training

Before the park could be named, it needs an underlying theme. I'd like to see something new and unique, and not a copy of ANYTHING that's been done before at any Disney park. NO REPLICATING ANYTHING!

I'm also curious why Disneyland Resort would need another park, other than to extend an average guests stay. Many people suggest reviving the Westcot concept. I'm wondering if that style of park would go over well nowadays. Don't get me wrong... I love EPCOT. But Florida has the size to keep people busy and occupied for a full day despite limited 'rides' that so many people here in MiceAge seem to demand. If I recall, World Showcase at EPCOT has two actual 'rides'... the rest comprises of 2 films, and extensive shops and restaurants. The Downtown Disney model fits the bill for the dining/shopping experience. As for Future World... well, far too much of it is empty space/ vacant or simply too big for the scale of the Disneyland Resort. Innoventions is a big part of Future World, and most MCers seem to avoid it at all costs. Walts original concept for Epcot? No room!
    Regarding a Villains park... I sense intimidation factor for families with small children. Remember how DCA failed to cater to kids at first?
    DisneySea is a triumph and jewel park from what I have read. I look forward to the day where I can travel to Tokyo and experience it there.

I don't have an idea (yet) that I think could carry a whole new theme park. Some of you have suggested a park based on Folklore and Mythology. I like that. I remember playing the original Legend of Zelda on my Nintendo and being completely absorbed in the fantasy. Are virtual reality parks in the future: an expanded 3-D environment like Disney Quest? Not just families playing together but whole groups of people? Everyone "laughing, learning and playing together" as Roy Disney put it at WDWs opening. Everyday the park reinvents itself based on guest input. Guests are given hand held controls, like a Nintendo Wii, and build their own adventures... fight bad guys, paddle boats, construct a village. Seeking the hidden corridors, climbing the highest peaks, overcoming fears, relishing accomplishment and earning the praise of ones peers.

I like the above posters' thoughts. I would like to see a completely new Fantasy world, not Fantasyland-like fantasy, but some new mythological setting, something along the lines of Narnia/Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter, but NOT those, obviously. DisneySea, but not just water-based. Something like the great game Myst! There would be several lands, but they all tie together into the bigger mythology of some "world".

I don't think Virtual Reality is quite up to par for this. But I do like the idea of rides being customizable. A cross between Star Tours and Soarin', with Star Tours sized vehicles in a completely immersive, 360 atmosphere. I always thought that if you removed the hokey storyline of Star Tours, made it nice and SMOOTH and put people in open-air vehicles with screens all around, you could have a really nice SMOOTH rollercoaster, with video/movement changing on each ridethrough. You could obviously have flythroughs as well, like Soarin', but with fantasy terrain.

Additionally, I like the idea of quests. For instance, you might get different ride experiences based on what quests you've completed. It wouldn't be necessary to complete the quests to enjoy the park. That would be icing on the cake for the hard-core returning guests.

Lands/attractions: A Jungle, but not Adventureland; a Desert, but not Frontierland; Mountains; Seas, but not DisneySea; Alien Planetscapes; Journey to the Center of the Earth. Some areas have a mechanical feel, some have a clean fresh snowy-feel.

Ok, I'm beginning to drift a little, so I'll stop there.

• Banned User

Water World! Have it be a water park! Anyone remember Typhoon Lagoon?

• whatever

Just keep the two parks we already have and rename California Adventure to Westcot. That was it's original name, I think.

So apparently I can't get that little smiley, with the little picketing sign, but if I could I would use it here.
    NO NEW PARK
    NO NEW PARK
    NO NEW PARK!

Let's finish what we have going on already before we give ourselves somethin else to bitch about in yet another park. Obviously we're not ALL going to be happy with whatever outcome but I don't was a new park I love our smaller, home-ier DL. I don't wanna see mass transit delivering you all around the park. I don't wanna see another Animal Kingdom or Epcot becase well first off we have zoo's here in chicago too. Secondly Epcot is only good for food....... and that's about it from what I recall. Peronal Rant* Not too mention the fact that it will lead to more people carrying around beanie babies and small stuffed animals and taking pictures of them and posting them here which is pretty annoying, i can't imagine why anyone would wanna see a picture witha stuffed animal taking up space in it.-- Dan Tasmic and Stich companion excluded.*

The water park thing, could be fun, but I for some reason just picture small wet children running rampid without parents to control them. Skinned knees and eblows bleeding into the pool, babies with diapers on.. I don't even like going to Neverland Pool if it's that crowded because if ya haven't noticed-- NOT MANY OF THOSE KIDS CLIMB OUTA THE POOL TO USE THE FACILITIES!! I think it *might* be cool butI'ld like to hear what angle they're going to go with. I think we've met our fill on mermaids and pirates (i love em both but I don't wanna see them get worn out..)

Ya know what would be cool if they did open a water park-- When we were little my sister and I would perform Fantasmic for our Dad in our pool and we had a blast and he loved it. I would love to have my kids (when I have them... someday.. no where in the near future knocks on wood) I would love to see them get to do something like that.. Nothing that kills the magic. Just some kind of Fantasmic! activity offered there. Any thoughts?

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Well, I must say that ProfessorTango and I think very alike when it comes to what themes work well for Disney theme parks. I've been working for a while on a plan for the third gate that I'm calling Disney's Magical Planet that would basically have a simmilar theme to what PT was suggesting. It would be kind of a hybrid between an international showcase and a magic kingdom and focus on the culture, geography, and mythology of people around the world of course with a Disney influence.

I agree with you Uncle Bob. I like your choice of names. I would have to say that the third park, located on that strawberry field property, is a little tight on space. I believe that theme should dictate the name and that it would be cool to have all the international and mythology we can, but I think that the space limitation would limit the scope of the new park.

I believe that the new park should be focused on international themes, but instead of it being like the World Showcase in Florida, each country should be set in a specific time period of the past and try to create the illusion that you are in that period. Also each "land" should also have a fantasy element to it, which would allow the mythology/fantasy theme to come through. Just as New Orleans Square is set in the 19th century, it has fantasy elements of Pirates and HM. I think that is the formula that creates the best theme park. Clear history immersion with fantasy thrown in.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Senior Minion

The space of the strawberry field is not that small. If you add in the CM parking lot I think it's actually about the same size as DL and how big DCA will be once the expansions are completed. I know several people in other threads have actually calculated the size of each for comparison, and you can see that the field and parking could add up to a pretty nice sized park. If Dis owns or can get there hands on a few adjacent parcels, it could be almost as big as DL, including a just slightly smaller backstage area.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Live maps has that awesome drawing feature, which automatically calculates distance and area. We could do that and see the relative size.

UPDATE: rough area calculation:

DL: .12 sq miles
    DCA: .1 sq miles (including Carsland, but not the rest of the parking lot)
    DCA + extra space: .12 sq miles
    Fields: .12 sq miles (including parking lot, but no other adjacent areas)
    Fields + rest of block: .16 sq miles

So the fields are as big as Disneyland! And if Disney could purchase the whole block, it would be the largest park in the whole resort, a third larger than Disneyland itself.
    Last edited by Mojave; 09-02-2008 at 02:13 PM.

• Senior Minion

Mojave, did you count DL's backstage? I think the third gate would need more backstage than DCA, as it shares much with DL, but probably could get away with less than DL has, but yeah there's enough room for a nice size gate for sure.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Mojave, did you count DL's backstage? I think the third gate would need more backstage than DCA, as it shares much with DL, but probably could get away with less than DL has, but yeah there's enough room for a nice size gate for sure.
    Well, that was kind of dumb of me! I had included all the show buildings outside the berm, but not the backstage areas west or north. When you take DL and everything west to DL Dr and north, up to and including the stables, IASW show building and the roundhouse, but nothing north of that, you get .17 sq miles. Including everything north, gives you .21 sq miles.

So, if Disney could buy up the entirety of that block, they'd have .16 sq miles, nearly as much as DL + the basic backstage areas, but not including the larger support buildings to the north, which I'm assuming they wouldn't have to duplicate in the third park. Of course, the third park would need an entry esplanade, bag check, ticket booths, etc. But, all in all, its onstage/show building space would be roughly the same amount of space as DL.
    Last edited by Mojave; 09-02-2008 at 05:17 PM.

• Senior Minion

Cool, that's about what I thought.
    -Walt Disney

• Unhelpful User

Wink Re: What would you name the so called 3rd theme park at the DLR?

hey uncle bob or mojave may you outline the calculation of the 3 parks on a map let's see who can do it better?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast