Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• ..but you can call me Pam

Old Disneyland Parking Lot

We all know that Walt and his Imaginears made up and invented different things as they came upon problems and figured out how to solve them. I was wondering if the old parking lot was the first to "section off" different parts, such as "Bambi", "Thumper" etc, so that you could remember where you parked. I'm not sure if there was ever a parking lot that big before. Does anybody have any info on this?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Old Disneyland Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 071755 View Post
    We all know that Walt and his Imaginears made up and invented different things as they came upon problems and figured out how to solve them. I was wondering if the old parking lot was the first to "section off" different parts, such as "Bambi", "Thumper" etc, so that you could remember where you parked. I'm not sure if there was ever a parking lot that big before. Does anybody have any info on this?
    Interesting - I'd be willing to bet that they were the first to section them off with the names of various Disney Characters, that's for sure.

• Showus your Larboard side

I remember when I was a kid I thought that that parking lot was the largest I had ever seen. I don't recall how the lots were designated but I'm sure there was some numbering system to relocate your car at the end of the day. I never paid much attention to that part of Disneyland. My dad was a very impatient person and he would never wait for the trams at the designated tram stops and when we would be directed to the spaces out by Katella it would take forever to walk to the entrance. Later when we had a small Winnebago motor home we always got to park right in front of the ticket booths. I think that's why we got the motor home. Dad would always end up out in the motor home with the generator going full blast and the air conditioner on taking a nap.

Mike
    Gonna be at the park this Sunday the 7th. No grandkids this time.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Rev View Post
    I don't recall how the lots were designated but I'm sure there was some numbering system to relocate your car at the end of the day.

Prior to this, the Parking Lot used a simple single letter zone system. It was Disney Legend Animator and Imagineer Bill Justice, who is credited with coming up with the idea to use character names and images instead. Bill also did the artwork that was used on the signs (some of which are still used today in current parking areas).

Within each character zone, rows were numbered. So for example your car might be in "Happy 5."

I'm positive Disney was not the first to "section off" areas of a parking lot to make finding your car easier. However, they might have been the first to use character names and images to designate such areas.

• Imagineer in training

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post

Prior to this, the Parking Lot used a simple single letter zone system. It was Disney Legend Animator and Imagineer Bill Justice, who is credited with coming up with the idea to use character names and images instead. Bill also did the artwork that was used on the signs (some of which are still used today in current parking areas).

Within each character zone, rows were numbered. So for example your car might be in "Happy 5."

I'm positive Disney was not the first to "section off" areas of a parking lot to make finding your car easier. However, they might have been the first to use character names and images to designate such areas.

Note that the character names are listed alphabetically as you travel south then west down the parking lot.
    Last edited by DarylF; 09-03-2008 at 08:48 AM.

• Mousketeer

And man did I ever hate ending up in winnie the pooh or tinker bell at the end of the night...

I should also mention that not only were the Parking Lot sections named for characters...but you sometimes found characters working in them!

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

*sigh* The good ole days were good too weren't they? How come we didn't know that then?
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FoundMyHappyPlace View Post
    *sigh* The good ole days were good too weren't they? How come we didn't know that then?
    Because in the olden days, there was always someone complaining that THEIR good old days were better.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by FoundMyHappyPlace View Post
    Because they weren't the good ole days back then. =D

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• ..but you can call me Pam

Thanks for all of your responses and info!
    I remember the HUGE traffic jam out of the parking lot at the end of the night, and the "thump thump" over and over again as each car went over those tire puncturing "do not back up" thingies.
    Last edited by 7.17.55; 09-02-2008 at 09:57 AM.

• Wishin' On A Star!!!!

I really miss the old parking lot! I really do!
    DisneyBroad54

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMagick View Post
    I really miss the old parking lot! I really do!
    Me too.
    Nothing can ever replace the thrill of anticipation as you crossed that sea of asphalt heading toward the main entrance. Much more dramatic than approaching it from the sides as you do now.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

This is not the usual "The Parking Lot was better than DCA" rant, but I do miss the old parking lot. Getting to and leaving Disneyland is now a more "crowded" experience. I liked the walk (we always walked) to and from the park. Especially the walk home, across a mostly car-less space. Though the lines to get out of the parking lot were pretty annoying. What were so many people doing staying until 1am anyhow?!

• Banned User

I may not be able to say first hand that the parking lot, since it was gone before my first trip to the resort, but I think that I'd rather walk through a shaded parking garage to a nicely landscaped area to wait for the tram, take it through more landscaping before being dropped off in Downtown Disney, walk through there with the great music and atmosphere, and walk into the esplanade with the disney music blaring loudly than walking across an asphalt wasteland with a view of the park right into the park. Exiting is the same. DCA and Downtown Disney are much more welcoming than any parking lot could possibly be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-02-2008, 03:59 PM