Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Disneyland Freak

Re: New Cars for the Matterhorn? Thats what the CM said.

That's very interseting... I wonder which way they lose more capacity... by having eight seaters which when large people ride turn into 4 seaters or by having six seaters which can take 6 people (regardless of size) at once. Many a male lap will be sad if this is true.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• U. B. Bold

Let's face it kids. Americans just keep getting bigger. By some reports 60% of Americans are now overweight. The lap sitting arrangement worked well in the 60's and 70's when most folks were less ample, but its impractal now and a new coaster would never be built that way. This may reduce ride capacity but some change of this kind was inevitable.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Disneyland Freak

It might actually increase capacity.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

• See what I got?

Hey now, not everyone who has to ride in separate cars are large width-wise. I used to ride with my hubby, but now get my own seat because I got tired of having my shins bashed to heck. My hubby is 6'2" and I am 5'11", so it was a might uncomfy. OTOH, I like to have the option.

• that's right!

Quote Originally Posted by Codename Danger
    Cuddling with your honey is one of the best aspects of the Matterhorn. I'll be very sorry to see that go.
    For the lift hill and after the splashdown. For the whole rest of the ride you're trying not to get your nose broken by the back of their head.

I've had many, many enjoyable rides on the Matterhorn and actually really enjoy the lap seating arrangement. Of course, it helps if you enjoy the person who is actually sitting in your lap. The Gs and swings from turn to turn, the slamming around and semi-violent forces of the Matterhorn all add up to making the attraction a completely unique ride. New cars will only homogenize yet another coaster into being similar to the other rides in other places and forfeit one of the Matterhorn's very endearing and quant qualities.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• My Children's Father

I suppose they'll next change Harold into the Yeti from Monsters Inc.

"She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Shubisha

Many groups choose to ride 1 and 1, instead of as 2, and it's allowed by the CMs...but I don't think this will have any large impact on the line for it.

They close the right side down so much anyways(my favorite side :/) that ride capacity has other issues anyways.

One thing I don't want are the disneyworld space mountain restraints. I like my loosely fitted seat strap =)

I would think if they switched to individual seats they would have to raise the height requirement as well. Currently it is at 35" (Same as Gadget Coaster) which meant it is a coaster that some of the smaller ones can do. I would not feel very comfortable letting a smaller child ride it bythemselves, but sitting in front of me I can at least help keep them from getting jerked around to much.

• Minion

For those that think this is a good idea, keep in mind this would most likely also include more restrictive restraints. The seatbelt only restraints were fine back in the 50's and even the 70's when the trains were last modifided, but any new modifications will be subject to todays strict safety standards, which I don't think the current trains would pass. If this is actually true, I could also see new, more restrictive, lawsuit-proof trains being added to the ride.

I know there were rumours awhile back about Disney considering shoulder harnesses on Splash Mtn. to keep people in their seats, I sure would hate to see bulky restrictive horse collars on Matterhorn, would completely destroy the ride. Not only the views, but with the old track and rough layout, your head would end up being brutally boxed around between the harness like on alot of other old steel coasters with horse collars.
    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again..."- Bart Simpson

• Disneyland Freak

They would not add shoulder restraints to Matterhorn and I doubt they really ever seriously considered shoulder restraints for Splash.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by jomo

I know there were rumours awhile back about Disney considering shoulder harnesses on Splash Mtn. to keep people in their seats, I sure would hate to see bulky restrictive horse collars on Matterhorn, would completely destroy the ride. Not only the views, but with the old track and rough layout, your head would end up being brutally boxed around between the harness like on alot of other old steel coasters with horse collars.
    Adding these types of restraints ruined The Revolution at Magic Mountain. I can't even ride it anymore because my head knocks around too much.

• that's right!

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    They would not add shoulder restraints to Matterhorn and I doubt they really ever seriously considered shoulder restraints for Splash.
    We went over this when they closed Splash a while back; it's actually illegal to have restraints like that on a water ride according to nautical law. Seriously.

• Sock Puppet

I hope they don't do this. I have many memories while riding the Matterhorn the way it is. Many chubs were involved, too.

Did I just type that?

• Minion

^^ Makes sense regarding Splash Mtn, glad it will never be possible.

But just like DifrntDrmr pointed out, Revolution never needed shoulder harnesses either, until Six Flags lawyers demanded the trains be retrofitted with them. It's now unrideable because of them, would really hate to see Disney's lawyers go to that extreme if they did decide the ride needed more foolproof restraints. I love the ride the way it is now, and even though harnesses are most likely out of the question, any type of modified more restrictive restraints would definitely ruin the ride for me too.
    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again..."- Bart Simpson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast