Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: New Cars for the Matterhorn? Thats what the CM said.

I think lap-sitting is a lot more enjoyable for the person whose lap is being sat upon, as opposed to the actual lap-sitter. It's a dangerous and uncomfortable position to be in. Like someone else said earlier, you are always worrying that your heads gonna knock your honey in the teeth. When I ride, I usually end up stooping down with my head against my husband's chest. Not too comfortable. I much prefer to ride on my own.

(I don't know why I used this smiley, I just felt like it, I guess.)
    Knowledge is power and knowing is half the battle. (LOVE LIVE CAPTAIN MIKEY!)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    This is a HORRIBLE idea! No!!! And as Uncle Remus pointed out in post # 31 above, this will slow the ride down over two fully loaded sleds today. Most people have no idea that the speed of a roller coaster is impacted by the combined weight of the passengers. Heavier passenger total equals a faster ride. If you don't believe it, make it a point to ride Matterhorn twice the next time you're at the park; the first time with only four people total and then with two full sleds afterwards. You won't believe the difference.

I'm going to express my concern over this next time I go by City Hall.
    Dont worry the CM told me these cars are heavier and will be just as fast.

• CM for 4 years!

CMs are notoriously misinformed. I don't see TDA spending that much money on a 40 year old attraction that already has strong attendance.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    CMs are notoriously misinformed. I don't see TDA spending that much money on a 40 year old attraction that already has strong attendance.

Aren't you a cast member melmel? Are you saying we can't trust what you say? Huh? huh?

Anyway... when it comes to speed, well, we are Americans, so there are a lot of bigger people to help speed upi the sleds. Just bring a couple of bigger people with you, there will be no problem with speed.

I'm for the idea. I'm a big guy, 6'2" 210lbs, but I'm not the biggest by far, now that I think about it most of America is around my size or bigger. The CM will always put me in a seat alone with no one on my lap, since I'm always there with my equaly large friends or family. We all get our own seat. 4 of use fill one train. if they put 3 seats per car/6 per train. they would be able to get more of use big people on one train.

My other reason why I'm for it is the safty restaints. The bigest scare for me at disneyland is buckling my bob slead seat belt that looks like it came out of a 1973 oldsmobile(thank god those sleads have hand grips and foot rests so you can hold your self in). Now they don't need to go all out and put in large shoulder restraints and waste money making it more complicated. A simple self tightening belt like what they have on Indy or Star Tours would be fine.

I'm against this idea. I like the inside of the sleds just the way they are now.

-Reagan

• I can't stand you.

Quote Originally Posted by Codename Danger
    Sigh. This totally sucks IMHO. But it's not unexpected - I can't believe they got away with the crappy belts for so long.

Cuddling with your honey is one of the best aspects of the Matterhorn. I'll be very sorry to see that go.
    my thoughts exactly it would be sad to see them switch to a different seating format...I like the lapsitting its comfy

I'm not sure if anyone has written this yet, but the vehicle configuration Of WDW's used to be identical to the bobsled on the Matterhorn. That is, two sleds tied together, each with two seats and seatbelts. In fact, the WDW space Mountain vehicles actually had the same cosmetic look to them too. They kinda just looked like repainted Matterhorn sleds.

I can't remember when the change was made... maybe around 1990... but the new sled design on Space Mountain went to 3 seats per sled, each with its own lap bar. This mad loading much easier. much easier to deal with automatic lap bars than with seatbelts.

For a long time I wondered when the change would be made to the Matterhorn, but the changes never came. I think the difference between the Matterhorn and Space Mountatin at WDW, is that people rarely think of Space as a kid-friendly rollercoaster. But Matterhorn is often a child's first rollercoaster ride and lap sitting with a parent can be good for this and small children. A child is going to be more scared in a seat all by themselves than in the lap of mom or dad.

But they've gone from lap sitting to individual seats on the logs at Splash, so maybe the Matterhorn is next.

Cris

• Disneyland Goober

I'm surprised the Safety people haven't made Disney at least change the seatbelts. In a ride that goes through such close quarters (ie the tunnels that look awfully snug), it doesn't seem like they'd be too keen on seatbelts that can be unbuckled at anytime. I would think they'd want at least locks on them that unlock when you unload. I would never attempt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if people out for a thrill would.

The seating configuration itself I don't mind, but I am short. I can see how it would be a problem with others. The one thing I would like it a more cushioned seat. Maybe it's because I'm older now, but my butt hurts after riding the Matterhorn. I love it, but please put more padding in there! I guess maybe it is more realistic, but not good for the buttocks!

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    I have a question that's pretty unrelated ... why don't they ever race the bobsleds??? I think it would be really fun to keep having close misses with the other car!
    That would be cool. They say the the Fantasyland side has little bit more track , butr they always finish at the same time. Every time I go on Matterhorn, at least we get to race with the other side. But around the point where the Tomorrowland side dives down into the second Abominable Snowman, the tracks split and the Fantasyland side gains a very good lead. But then again, on Matterhorn Way where the Fantasyland side enters the mountain for its second Abominable Snowman and the Tomorrowland continues around the mountain, the Tomorrowland catches up a bit and both tracks end up finishing at the same time.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

If this absolutely stupid rumor proves to be true, you can say goodbye to Matterhorn having reasonable waits on the busiest of days. In addition to dropping the number of seats per car, the lapbars themselves will provide issues. Unless they have an entirely different train layout (which I doubt they'd spend the money on), a retrofit of the current cars would add a great deal of weight (assuming the lapbars are similiar/identical to the ones on WDW's Space Mountain). That could mean more wear and tear on a track that is still midway through being virtually rebuilt year to year.
    As for the people saying that the lapbars will make it better for larger guests, I gotta ask if you've been on Space Mountain at WDW; I've seen many more people turned away from that ride due to size issues, than I've ever seen at the Matterhorn Bobsleds.

Have fun,
    CoasterMatt

• Animatronic

When I first rode the Matterhorn, I was on my Father's lap and my sister was on my Mother's lap. The single bobsleds were released at the same time and race with green go lights and the race was off. It was exciting and really felt like racing bobsleds to a little kid. In later years, I rode the ride with girlfriends, roommates, and others. I never had a problem sitting on a lap or having my lap sat upon. It's part of the experience. It is a bit more comfortable for both parties if the larger person is in back.

If they modify the ride for safety, I say put in the locking seatbelts like Star Tours. If they want more fun back, I say they return to single sleds and race them, or just race the double sleds.

• Minion

So if they do this, does this mean they will change the exit spiel back to "Remain seated please, cinnamon toasted tacos on the floor" like it was, without the "seatbelts fastened" version?

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    I'm not sure if anyone has written this yet, but the vehicle configuration Of WDW's used to be identical to the bobsled on the Matterhorn. That is, two sleds tied together, each with two seats and seatbelts. In fact, the WDW space Mountain vehicles actually had the same cosmetic look to them too. They kinda just looked like repainted Matterhorn sleds.

I can't remember when the change was made... maybe around 1990... but the new sled design on Space Mountain went to 3 seats per sled, each with its own lap bar. This mad loading much easier. much easier to deal with automatic lap bars than with seatbelts.

For a long time I wondered when the change would be made to the Matterhorn, but the changes never came. I think the difference between the Matterhorn and Space Mountatin at WDW, is that people rarely think of Space as a kid-friendly rollercoaster. But Matterhorn is often a child's first rollercoaster ride and lap sitting with a parent can be good for this and small children. A child is going to be more scared in a seat all by themselves than in the lap of mom or dad.

But they've gone from lap sitting to individual seats on the logs at Splash, so maybe the Matterhorn is next.

Cris

I heard that when the Matterhorn was remodeled in the late '70s (before my time), they took the original rockets from WDW's Space Mountain and remodeled them for the Matterhorn to increase its capacity. Meanwhile, the rockets WDW has now replaced them to tweak the attraction and make it more comfortable to ride.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    I'm not sure if anyone has written this yet, but the vehicle configuration Of WDW's used to be identical to the bobsled on the Matterhorn. That is, two sleds tied together, each with two seats and seatbelts. ................. but the new sled design on Space Mountain went to 3 seats per sled, each with its own lap bar. This mad loading much easier.
    Yeah ... just look at the people who'll be mad if done for the Matterhorn.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast