Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• UH..LIKE DUH..

Re: New Cars for the Matterhorn? Thats what the CM said.

Lawyers are now designers. Next time it will be a 3 seat, side by side, bicycle built for 2 on main street.

The idea for the new sleds is out there but it wouldn't take effect, if it does, until 2007when the next big refurb will be. The only problem with locking seat belts is where are you going to put them? The equipment needed for this is not small (actually quite big and long) and the underside of the sleds are not that big to begin with. Plus you have water, which complicates everything if it gets into the equipment. But if lap bars do show up, the height requirement will go up to 40".

Quote Originally Posted by bobsledbob
    The equipment needed for this is not small (actually quite big and long) .
    well then, it's got my vote.

I wish I could find some pictures of the old Space Mountain sleds, so everyone could see how much they look like the Matterhorn sleds. I actually like the seating configuration and the lap bars on WDW's space mountain much better than it's previous "lap sitting" configuration with the seat belts. I'm just not sure if it's the best choice to use it on the Matterhorn, though, as the Matterhorn is more of a family coaster. Plus maybe it's just nostalgia... there's only one Matterhorn, and it's unique.

I'm sure the CM's would be happy, though. Loading would become so much easier.

Cris

Okay, I know there must be a decent pic on the net of the old space mountain sleds, but I guess this will have to do for now. http://home.cfl.rr.com/omniluxe/sm.htm See the space mountain sign with the rocket full of astronauts? This is the configuration of the old rockets. Two seats, with two riders per seat "lap sitting" style with seatbelts. See how similar they look to the Matterhorn sleds?

In the early 90's, the design of the cars were kept the same, but the seating configuration was changed. Three people per sled, each with their own lap bar. http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/space/oldsm2.jpg

In the late 90's, the cars seating configuration stayed the same, but the cars were redesigned. Notice that the red nose cone is gone and the lap bars are replaced with "T" shaped lap bars. I personally fine these cars to be ugly. http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/space/newsm2.jpg

http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/m...oadingarea.asp .
    Cris
    Last edited by Crispy; 09-14-2005 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsledbob
    The idea for the new sleds is out there but it wouldn't take effect, if it does, until 2007when the next big refurb will be. The only problem with locking seat belts is where are you going to put them? The equipment needed for this is not small (actually quite big and long) and the underside of the sleds are not that big to begin with. Plus you have water, which complicates everything if it gets into the equipment. But if lap bars do show up, the height requirement will go up to 40".

if there is room for locking seat belts in the driver seat of my Miata then this is plenty of room for them in a bobsled. they don't need to be water sensitive computer controled devices just a simple mecanical locking seat belt like what if found in modern cars. not the self tighting ones they have now, or they could just use lap bars.

Quote Originally Posted by AF'nJ
    if there is room for locking seat belts in the driver seat of my Miata then this is plenty of room for them in a bobsled. they don't need to be water sensitive computer controled devices just a simple mecanical locking seat belt like what if found in modern cars. not the self tighting ones they have now, or they could just use lap bars.
    Thats what they have now; a simple seat belt found in cars and airplanes that locks when buckled correctly but can easily be unbuckled by the push of a button. They want the computer controlled because people are stupid and unbuckle themselves for whatever reason. The concept of DONT TOUCH THE SEAT BELT during the ride is a hard to figure out.

and could prove dangerous if occuring during the new 360 degree loop.

Has the Matterhorn always had seat belts? I know of similar Schwartzkopf coasters where you are just expected to be smart enough to not stand up. The Jet Star at Indiana Beach is one example.

Cris
    Last edited by Crispy; 09-15-2005 at 04:14 PM.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I think this is a terrible idea!

After the logs on Splash were modified, my daughter refused to go on it. Without the security of holding on to a parent it was just too scary for her. Matterhorn is her favorite ride, but if she can't sit in my lap, she will probably balk at it as well.

If people are too sqeamish to sit in eachother's laps, just ask the CM. They're okay with one person sitting alone.

I will say that more secure seatbelts would be advisable. Its just a matter of time before someone does something stupid to ruin the ride for everyone else!!!

• Wannabe Aviator!

The only thing that they could do to make it better is to return to the original, single sled design. It was faster and less bumpy than the current double sled version.
    "...and you'll want to stow away cameras, purses, hats, and of course...these little
    beauties!"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345